Gransnet forums

Travel

Where to go in Malta?

(79 Posts)
LyndaW Thu 01-Mar-18 11:14:36

We're thinking about going to Malta later in the year. We've never been before so I'm hoping some well-travelled gransnetters will be able to give me some tips and ideas on where to stay, what to do, areas to miss etc? thanks in advance!

KatyK Sun 01-Apr-18 15:14:57

I mean as correctly pointed out that Reids is in Madeira - not that I am a daft bat!

KatyK Sun 01-Apr-18 15:14:20

As quite rightly pointed out by silverlining I am a daft bat blush

KatyK Sun 01-Apr-18 15:10:48

Please ignore my advice to go to Reids for afternoon tea. Reids is actually in Madeira blush My excuse is that we went to Malta and Madeira in the same year!

silverlining48 Fri 30-Mar-18 09:13:12

I was going to point out it’s not just Malta where birds are killed. I don’t know why they do it, i wish they didn’t, but it’s done throughout the Mediterranean.

KathrynDyer Fri 30-Mar-18 06:23:26

Hey, Malta is a really nice place, people there are very friendly and loving.

Nannajacky Sun 04-Mar-18 20:26:46

Have spent many holidays in Malta. In addition to the places already mentioned, if the sea’s calm you can take a boat trip from Sliema round Valletta and the three cities. The smaller boats are better as they can get further into the harbours.
I love having fresh fish for lunch on the front in Marsaxlokk, not on Sundays when there is a large market.
In Valletta the Upper Barakka gardens are worth a visit for the views over the harbours.

emmasnan Sun 04-Mar-18 18:59:02

I love Malta. My husband was a Royal Marine and we were stationed there in the late 70's.
We've visited several times since, firstly taking our children and now on our own. So much to see and lovely people.
We are sure to visit again this year.

Nandalot Sun 04-Mar-18 17:19:46

Thank you for the name of the house, Bellasnana.

Nandalot Sun 04-Mar-18 16:38:06

It is not just Malta that kills migrating birds, this is common throughout Mediterranean Europe.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/26/conservationists-appalled-at-illegal-killing-of-25m-birds-a-year-in-the-mediterranean
And
www.theguardian.com/world/2011/nov/04/birds-migrating-spain-killed-hunters

Clematisa Sun 04-Mar-18 16:11:43

Will you be driving or? I had a lovely holiday in Malta and took the local buses - but another friend had been driving in Malta a few years ago and said the roads were "hairy!" And that's from driving on the same side of the road as us... so maybe beware...! There are great bus tours all round the island just check the times... we also went on the ferries ( www.visitmalta.com/en/ferries-and-water-taxis) went to Gozo... and those were great days out too! Look out for a great wee train as we visited the Roman remains while we were there
www.visitmalta.com/en/tourist-train

Bellasnana Sun 04-Mar-18 13:30:04

I’m just wondering if all these people who refuse to go because of bird shooting ( which I do not condone, together with the majority of the Maltese), also boycott Spain due to the barbaric practice of bullfighting?

Fennel Sun 04-Mar-18 13:21:57

The Popeye attraction - you've reminded me we went there too. Our girls went swimming and one got stung by a jellyfish shock.

Nanannotgrandma Sun 04-Mar-18 12:37:05

Mellieha Bay Hotel has some of the best views in Malta. Every room a sea view. A good hotel with nice staff and great food. There are bus stops nearby for regular buses for Valletta, Sliema and Bugibba. There is a bus stop nearby to go to the ferry for Gozo. Takes about 10 mins to get there. The Popeye attraction is a short bus ride away too. Mellieha is a nice town with bars and cafes.

seasider Sun 04-Mar-18 09:04:03

I am travelling to.Malta over the August Bank Holiday with DC and DGC . There are eight of us so a large appartment (or two small one) or villa probably best. The best and most affordable villas seem to be on Gozo. Is it easy to travel across as our flight arrives quite late? We like to cook some nice food on holiday and have a big family meal. I know there are supermarkets on Malta but is it the same on Gozo? I went about 35 years ago and it was very rural but I guess it has changed!

Jangran99 Sat 03-Mar-18 21:59:55

Sadly there are few places on the earth free of animal cruelty,including our own country.Chris Packham is a wonderful naturalist and could have chosen many, many others to highlight.

Linbrikat Sat 03-Mar-18 20:59:52

Hate to be a downer but Malta is one place I'd never visit www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/apr/28/chris-packham-malta-is-a-bird-hell

Jangran99 Sat 03-Mar-18 20:42:04

Have just returned today from our third visit in the last 12 months. Temperature was 19 degrees in Qawra
yesterday-- our drive was 14 inches under snow today!! I can't add much more than has already been said. JUST GO!!!
Bellasnana I'll PM you before our next visit if I may. We could have a meet-up!

Rabbitgran Sat 03-Mar-18 20:34:43

Gozo is wonderful!

Helenlouise3 Sat 03-Mar-18 19:41:23

We stayed at Sliema which proved to be a fantastic choice. Everywhere is within easy reach. Valetta is fantastic and the main depot of the buses for all over the island.

JanaNana Sat 03-Mar-18 18:33:31

We went to Malta 20 years ago and loved it. It was June and the heat was beating down on us. Loved the silent city of Mdina, Valletta, and swimming in the sea at Golden Bay. The bright orange buses ...some looked hand painted....were an interesting experience but got us around the island quite easily. Listening to all the canaries singing/trilling to each other across people's balconies, the little street corner cafe/bars, were a cup of tea or glass of beer even a plate of egg and chips all rustled up by a friendly owner no trouble at all. A trip to Gozo was worth seeing as well. Would love to go again sometime.

margrech Sat 03-Mar-18 17:31:20

Hi all, I have an apartment i rent out to tourists in Qawra and I am on Airbnb ( abnb.me/cnmpzxgsZK) as well. I have compiled a spreadsheet of restraunts and places to visit with the bus numbers if you want to use public transport. Anyone can request it and i will be happy to send you an email with the attached spreadsheet, no obligations whatsoever. Just email to [email protected]

123kitty Sat 03-Mar-18 17:03:41

How lovely to think ahead to sun and summer hols when it's so cold at home - thank you.

winifred01 Sat 03-Mar-18 16:19:46

Some years ago spent Christmas in Malta, the Phoenicia Hotel in Valetta, now out of our price range! It was a great holiday, mid night Mass followed by breakfast attended by local people as well as guests.
Have been back several times,staying in self catering properties in Valetta, always in the winter. The people are so welcoming. There are lots of concerts etc. Not somewhere to go if you want to sit on a beach.
Looking forward to our next visit.

Ellylanes1 Sat 03-Mar-18 16:15:00

On the final day of our Malta holiday (my friend, myself and a disabled elderly lady) arranged with a local taxi driver to take a tour of the island to fill in the hours before we needed to be at the airport. He took us and our luggage on a lovely tour, was very helpfull and informative, we got to see things and places we would have missed, then he got us to the airport in good time. It wasn't expensive, less than the cost of keeping on a room for extra hours. Nice way to end the holiday. Just a suggestion others might consider.

Magicmaggie Sat 03-Mar-18 16:01:33

Coppernob
Yes !,! Fontanellas.
Thanks for remembering the name. It was such a special
place, I have such happy memories of my visits there with my parents.
Sadly my parents died in 1997 and 2000 and I could’nt face going back after that happened.