Gransnet forums

Travel

Lake District

(8 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 22-Apr-18 23:29:59

I've travelled through the area a few times but never stayed there.
Where would you say is the best area to rent a cottage ? Nothing too remote.

HillyN Sun 22-Apr-18 23:49:12

We regularly stay in Langdale; there are many pretty holiday cottages for rent in Chapel Stile or Elterwater village. Although you are surrounded by fells and mountains, it is only a short drive into Ambleside. It is a good centre for visiting Windermere, Grasmere or Coniston too. If, like me, you enjoy a walk but can't do hills, the Cumbrian Way is a fairly level path and you can walk up the valley floor to Dungeon Ghyll or down it to Skelwith force/bridge.

SueDonim Mon 23-Apr-18 00:34:19

We've stayed in the Lake District numerous times and have enjoyed being in Windermere or Bowness. Though we live in the country so it's a novelty for us to be town!

Teetime Mon 23-Apr-18 08:46:54

We like the North Lakes and Buttermere - a bit less touristy/day trippy-more walkers etc.

lemongrove Mon 23-Apr-18 09:10:10

We usually stay around Ambleside and then drive anywhere else and do the walks.Although of course, there are many nice strolls along the lake at Ambleside and the small centre itself.There are lots of villages around there, and it’s a good central spot to visit other places from.
Around Hawkshead is a nice spot, or also ( thinking of a past holiday cottage)Near Sawrey ( there is also a Far Sawrey.)
It’s all lovely.

KatyK Mon 23-Apr-18 10:14:21

We love the Lakes and have been many times. We have stayed in Bowness a few times. There are plenty of shops/pubs/restaurants there. We also love Hawkshead, Ambleside and Keswick. My personal favourite place is Grasmere. Just driving through the Lake District is pretty wonderful.

Scribbles Mon 23-Apr-18 11:23:21

Broughton-in-Furness? It's a sizeable village on the extreme southern edge of the Lake District with a number of houses used for holiday lets. There are lovely local walks and it's within driving distance of Coniston, Bowness, Ambleside, Hawkshead etc.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-Apr-18 11:37:27

I would recommend Keswick or Grasmere