Gransnet forums

Travel

Saga Holidays

(12 Posts)
seasider Wed 20-Jun-18 18:04:04

Anybody had the misfortune to have to complain to Saga holidays? I have been waiting 2 months to get a response to a complaint and have been told it could be another 20 days! Apparently I am not one of the oldest complaints. It does not bode well for the actual holiday!

ginny Wed 20-Jun-18 18:09:14

That’s a shame. We have taken several holidays with Saga and have had no problems at all.

Doodle Wed 20-Jun-18 20:40:46

Us too ginny never had cause to complain about anything.

seasider Fri 22-Jun-18 07:05:52

Maybe I have just been unlucky. I have booked a trip to India for a special birthday. Saga were not the cheapest for the tour we wanted but everything was included and their reviews were good so we booked it. There have been a few issues but for one example we were told that we had to change hotels in one location as the hotel had closed down. We were very disappointed as we wanted to visit the particular hotel.
It seemed strange as it belonged to a big company and other tour companies were still using it.
I contacted the hotel direct and they were very surprised that they were closed ! I have complained and surprise surprise the hotel was reinstated but no explanation or apology from Saga for this or other issues!

Eglantine21 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:07:28

I have had some very good holidays with Saga, but when something went wrong they were very reluctant to acknowledge it and I had to go on and on about it until they even admitted there had been a problem.

Basically travel from home was included. They sent train tickets to London then a taxi from the station to Heathrow. The taxi did not turn up and we had to catch the tube arriving only just in time for check in to catch the flight.
On return the taxi was supposed to meet us at the airport. Everybody else’s Saga taxi was there but not ours. Again we had to take the tube in the rush hour.

Sagas initial response was a “sorry the driver waited at the wrong place” That was it. They couldn’t have been less bothered. After a prolonged session of phone calls and letters they offered £50 off our next holiday.

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Jun-18 08:17:17

We had many really good holidays with Saga and never had a problem. Any queries and complaints (minor) were sorted promptly. But they seem to have become the poor relation since merging with Titan. A lot of the trips we went on are now Titan and Saga seems to be mostly cruises and the more popular places. It looks as if the standards may have dropped rather.

sunseeker Fri 22-Jun-18 08:45:49

I have had many Saga holidays and have only had cause to complain once. Within days I received a phone call asking for full details of my complaint which I felt it was taken seriously. I have further holidays booked with them.

TwiceAsNice Fri 22-Jun-18 08:49:09

I have never had a holiday with Saga but if you say it has now merged with Titian, I had an amazing holiday with Titian and would definitely recommend them

Doodle Fri 22-Jun-18 19:58:45

All our Saga holidays have been cruises and we have never had cause for complaint. Can't comment on other types of holidays though.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Jun-18 07:30:58

We recently booked with saga for the first time and had a brilliant tour round Cuba, wonderful. Especially appreciated the private home to airport taxi transfer.
However a few years ago we booked to spend a night on their new Saga ship in southampton. We left early morning to drive down, were nearly there and i phoned them about something, only to be told it had been cancelled. This was news to us especially as i had called them the night before to check car parking. As we had booked and paid for a second night stay locally we were in a fix. Luckily the place we had booked for the following night was available so we didnt have to drive all the way home again. I think saga paid in the end, though somewhat reluctantly as i recall, just wish we had chosen a fancy hotel rather than b and b.

johnep Fri 05-Apr-19 16:17:06

Read in the press today that Saga shares down 64% on issue.
We have enjoyed holidays and cruises with them since the 80s and it is very sad that they were sold by the de haan family to private equity which has been the downfall of so many companies, Happening at this moment to Boots.
The temptation to sell to the highest bidder who then loads debt onto the company and cashes in with a share issue seems overwhelming. Naturally, the first requirement of the new management is that they should know nothing about the business. Eg Chief exec used to be boss of Dominoes Pizza.
Very sad as we have always had great holidays with Saga except when they used to promote the Cavalieri in Malta.
As we get older have enjoyed cruises. I just wish they would save money bu not mailing sometimes two or three times a week. The brochures must be expensive to produce and mail.
johnep

Floradora9 Fri 05-Apr-19 18:47:38

Post on their facebook or twitter page if you can . Companies hate to see bad reviews in a public place.