Gransnet forums

Travel

£10,000 - 12,000 Where would you go

(132 Posts)
Rosiebee Thu 21-Jun-18 14:21:11

Since we retired and not including "big health scare" years, DH and I have taken it in turns to choose a "Big Trip". We've been to some fabulous places inc Hawaii, Thailand, Canada, South Africa and the Cape Cod area of America. Next year is my choice and with the mortgage coming to an end, we have a budget of up to £12,000. Day to day eating and drinking would be paid separately. A lovely dilemma but I have been through brochures until my head spins and I end up considering pottering around France. Not a bad idea. I'm not asking anyone to choose for me but would love to hear from Gransnetters where you would like to go. hmm

annep Fri 06-Jul-18 10:45:29

I'm just a coward really Eglantine21 I hate flying in case we crash. There's no getting round it. I've gone as far as Italy/Croatia. That's as much as I can manage. Same with cruise ships in case they sink. I know it sounds ridiculous. But there it is. My mother was a very panicky nervous person and I think she passed it on to some of her children. Such a shame. But I've been to some lovely places anyway. So shouldn't complain.

Marmight Fri 06-Jul-18 09:57:20

I quite fancy the Trans Sibetian Express from Moscow to Beijing(having visited St Petersburg first). I'd love to see Lake Baikal. Once in China I'd do an organised tour and then fly to Sydney to see DD2 for a few weeks and return home via the Pacific islands, LA and NY. Not sure £10/12000 would quite cover it!

Eglantine21 Fri 06-Jul-18 09:33:31

Oh annep. Can you explain a bit more? Is it flying? The US itself? What’s holding you back?

annep Fri 06-Jul-18 09:27:23

I just want the courage to fly to US.sad

gillybob Thu 05-Jul-18 14:25:08

Oh you’re so right *grannyA^ I spend my life thinking “ what if ...?”

I Don’t begrudge those more fortunate, the chance to do what I would love to do if finances allowed.

I would just love to have enough money to stop the hell my poor DD and her partner are going through ( thanks to the Halifax) and would happily forfeit any holiday, ever.

grannyactivist Thu 05-Jul-18 09:51:03

I suspect that most of us reading this thread have indulged in daydreams about 'what if....' when it comes to finances, but the reality is that it's probably not the money per se that most people are after, it's the choices we would then have. Choices that would allow us to help our families and relieve ourselves of the stresses that often accompany a lack of money.

gillybob Thu 05-Jul-18 09:30:49

My DGD (10) wants to take her daddy on a photography holiday to Japan . She has completely exluded mummy, older sister and younger brother from her imaginary trip. It just has to be her and daddy who both share a passion for photography.

I’ve long since given up any ideas of a dream holiday for myself .

I have enjoyed reading about all the fabulous trips taken by Gransnetters though .

JustALaugh Wed 04-Jul-18 22:37:59

I'd do Route 66

grannyactivist Wed 04-Jul-18 22:26:35

I would go to visit my foster son who has returned to live in Taiwan, then I'd call in on all my young friends in Europe. I'd send any money left over to my daughter in NZ so that she could bring my granddaughter to visit me in the UK. I've been to NZ twice and I really don't want to go back; I found the blatant racism, sexism and misogyny too much for my delicate female sensibilities! smile

storiette Wed 04-Jul-18 22:17:34

I'm a huge admirer of Baltic Countries (Scandinavia). I was in Finland twice, in order to watch Aurora Borealis and that's probably the best thing I ever done in my life.

You won't regret it for sure. ;)

Stella14 Mon 02-Jul-18 13:17:09

August would be too hot and wet for many places. Be aware of checking ‘best time to travel’ for any destination.

Enjoy sunshine

mrsmopp Mon 02-Jul-18 00:22:35

World cruise?

Jalima1108 Sun 01-Jul-18 20:08:43

First is was Rufus Sewell and now it's Simon Reeves. Your just being plain greedy now
Horses for courses, Simon for the holiday and Rufus for the rest of the time .... grin

and as for Bognor that someone mentioned in the thread - what was it George V said? hmm

Jalima1108 Sun 01-Jul-18 20:04:56

and we can all dream, can't we?

Jalima1108 Sun 01-Jul-18 20:02:21

As for the virtue signallers, it’s very odd, and rude, to tell complete strangers to give to charity, assuming that they don’t already.
shock Yes, indeed.

Jalima1108 Sun 01-Jul-18 20:01:41

My other choice was to fly to Perth and go on the Indian Pacific Railway to Sydney
We've thought about doing that or the Ghan but wondered if it could be a bit boring (lots of desert?)
Does anyone know?

KatyK Sun 01-Jul-18 16:27:47

Yes the North East is wonderful. We stayed at Alnwick last year and the surrounding area is beautiful smile After hints and tips from fellow GNetters we went to some lovely places up there - Lindisfarne, Bamburgh etc. We did a drive, stopping off at lots of lovely seaside places. We intend to go back.

Theoddbird Sun 01-Jul-18 14:03:51

Hire a narrow boat for the summer and spend a leisurely time seeing some of this wonderful country from the rivers and canals. The countryside looks so different from the water and it is so peaceful....

Rosiebee Sun 01-Jul-18 10:24:34

August 2019

Menopaws Sun 01-Jul-18 09:15:58

We try for a big hols every other year in order to see daughter in oz, so far we have gone for a reason such as graduating, citizenship and wedding so now we plan to meet up in different places so it's not so far as it takes time out of annual leave just to get there and back. Next year we hope to meet in Durban where my nephews live so much shorter journey.
I love thinking and organising these hols even though expensive they are vital and obv enjoyable so until she has babies we will keep on doing it, some people on here have done some super trips

NotAGran55 Sun 01-Jul-18 07:14:42

I have loved reading your thread Rosiebee and your trip sounds wonderful. Enjoy it in good health and please come back and tell us all about it when you return .

When is it planned for if you don’t mind me asking ?

annep Sun 01-Jul-18 05:13:10

How rude of people to suggest its wrong to spend that on a holiday or that OP is flaunting their wealth For goodness sake! I couldn't afford it but my first thought was How exciting! We don't know how hard they have worked, what they've done for others, whatever! We were simply included which is nice. Rosiebee I couldn't suggest a place. Your cruise sounds wonderful. I live in Northern Ireland and you will love it here. Everyone is so friendly both north and south and there are some lovely places to visit. We live in Carrickfergus which has a Norman castle and have a mobile home in Newcastle. I would recommend you go there and see the Mournes. Some nice NT houses too. And of course Fernanagh lakes. Too many places in south to recommend.

Rosiebee Sun 01-Jul-18 00:52:42

Gosh I am blown away reading about all the fabulous holidays. We did go to Toronto /Quebec last year and cruised down the East coast to New York. I loved Canada and have given a lot of thought to going on the Rocky Mountineer to Vancouver and exploring that side of the country. My other choice was to fly to Perth and go on the Indian Pacific Railway to Sydney, then cruise around New Zealand. I think that would have blown the budget though. However, I've had to reconsider the long flights to both destinations as DH and I have had recent issues with our backs. So I've decided on a two week Baltic cruise sailing from Newcastle, taking in Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Estonia and St Petersburg. Not quite the big trip I'd planned but I do appreciate we're fortunate to be able to go away. Hoping to use saved money for a driving holiday in Ireland and we'll be booking a few days in Newcastle to see the beautiful coast around the North East.
Thanks for all your lovely replies. I've really enjoyed reading them. DH chooses the following holiday and backs permitting, I think we'll be going back to S Africa. I appreciate the comments on giving the money to charity. Since we retired DH has been diagnosed with two different cancers plus other health issues. He's been signed off from one and the other is still ongoing. We decided to do what we could while we could. We have a standing order to Cancer Research who I believe helped save my beloved's life and also help support a child in Botswana. Those are private matters that only we know about. I do not feel guilty about our holidays but I do feel blessed that we can still have them together. Onward and upward - as they say.smile

harrigran Sat 30-Jun-18 19:33:09

I have no desire to do long haul holidays and my choice has always been no expense spared in the south of France.

TerriBull Sat 30-Jun-18 17:48:40

I was lucky enough to do a big holiday to South America, taking in Buenos Aires, Uruguay, Iguazu Falls and Rio when I had my last big 0 birthday. I'd still be tempted to go back there, because I'd like to see more. We have done Canada and a lot of the United States, husband's number one on his destination wish list is New Zealand and Australia, I have been to the latter many years ago but not Sydney so I guess we'd do those parts of the southern hemisphere and fly out westbound via Chile and come back via maybe Japan if that was possible.