Gransnet forums

Travel

Ciutadella

(9 Posts)
Floradora9 Thu 12-Jul-18 22:03:21

We are going to this town in Minorca can anyone tell me how to pronounce it please ? If it was French Italian or German I would have no problem but know little Spanish. It is the old capital of the Island anyone been there ?

annsixty Thu 12-Jul-18 22:18:52

I called it "sitadella" I remember it as being like the hub of a wheel.
Everywhere we went to on the island we had to go through there to get to.
I remember very little else about the place.
Minorca is lovely though.

FlexibleFriend Fri 13-Jul-18 09:22:41

I've been there but that's all I remember tbh. It was a long time ago but I agree Menorca is rather lovely. Oh it has a beautiful harbour and a gin distillary where we got rather squiffy and an aquarium but the rest is lost in the dimness of time sorry.

MiniMoon Fri 13-Jul-18 09:49:35

I pronounced it "thweetadella". It's a lovely town. We holidayed on Minorca when my children were young. We stayed in Calan Porter, but used local transport to see as much of the island as possible. The children cried all the way to the airport when we had to leave.

annep Fri 13-Jul-18 09:53:15

Menorca is lovely. The bus to Mahon is a lovely journey through beautiful scenery. We stayed at Santo Tomas several times. very quiet little resort. Cuitadella looked interesting when we passed through.

DanniRae Fri 13-Jul-18 10:30:19

I have been there a while ago but remember it as a lovely place. We called it Qwedadella, which obviously isn't right.

FlexibleFriend Fri 13-Jul-18 11:32:23

I said it was a long time ago, so long I confused it with Mahon. Sorry! really can't remember Ciutadella at all. it was 1985 tbf.

JackyB Fri 13-Jul-18 12:01:17

This might not work, but the phonetic way of writing the pronunciation is:

siwtəðˈeʎə

There are plenty of Spanish speakers here on GN so I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes telling you that the Spanish pronunciation would be Thee-oo-ta- della.

Menorca uses Catalan and its own patois, which is a version of Catalan - the road signs are in three languages.

I was on Menorca about 20 years ago but can't remember if we went to Ciutadella or not. It's a good idea to find out as much as you can about the place before going though, you get far more out of the holiday that way!

Floradora9 Fri 13-Jul-18 15:13:59

Thanks folks I looked at the phonetic pronounciation and was babbled . It does look lovely we go in September so I will let you know . I wanted to go back to Austria but DH was afraid the weather would not be good as it so often is .