Gransnet forums

Travel

Hotels in Berlin?

(10 Posts)
Rowantree Wed 01-Aug-18 09:43:48

Will do, JackyB - including hotels. Going in September. Booked Dresden for 4 nights in the end.

Relieved we've got it sorted at last! Thanks to all for your suggestions.

JackyB Tue 31-Jul-18 12:31:04

Ooh - let us know how you get on in Dresden - we might be going there later in the year ourselves.

Rowantree Tue 31-Jul-18 10:07:26

Thanks all - am now sorted, though lots were booked up already (our fault for booking so late in the day, though there were reasons for that).

Struggled hugely finding an overnighter in Amsterdam but finally found somewhere on air B&B (a new one on us but I gather it's well known by everyone else!)

Now booked Krakow, Berlin, Poznan, Amsterdam and still need somewhere in Wroclaw, Dresden and probably Katowice (there are plenty suitable in the latter).

Our holidays get very complicated.....

clementine Mon 30-Jul-18 18:57:56

Another vote for Crown Plazza, it was excellent .

Daddima Fri 27-Jul-18 17:15:50

Melia Berlin down by the river. Not the cheapest, but good location and best breakfast ever.

Lucylastic Fri 27-Jul-18 16:57:35

We had a lovely stay at the Crowne Plaza in Nurnberger Strasse - smart 4 star hotel, pool and sauna, great breakfast, close to the zoo and KDW dept store.
Have also enjoyed staying at Hotel Berlin Berlin on Lutzowplatz - very stylish with a beautiful outside terrace.
Both hotels are in the western sector of the city and close to underground stations and bus stops. Public transport is very reliable and safe in Berlin. Viel Gluck!

suzied Fri 27-Jul-18 15:33:23

Try booking.com, we stayed at the Sofitel near the Kurfurstendam, which is a big hotel but perfectly fine for a couple of nights and very central.

JackyB Fri 27-Jul-18 11:50:25

These days, most people stay in holiday flats in Berlin. It's much cheaper and you don't have to do the full week. If you're interested, I'll see if I can find a website in English. But it looks like you really want a hotel.

My DS3 has been studying in Berlin for the past 5 years but I am ashamed to say we haven't been to visit him once.

Last time we stayed in a hotel there it was way out in Teltow on the outskirts, so, sorry, no personal recommendations.

Go with a chain you know and trust, rather than looking at tripadvisor et al. Hotel reviews by punters are all so ridiculously exaggerated and usually contradict each other. Pick the criteria that count for you*, and go on that - just work with the facts!

* Such as : breakfast included, free wifi, situated near the station, bar, pool, safe in room, baggage storage if you are leaving later in the day after checkout, free shuttle, bicycle hire.

Enjoy your trip!

Scribbles Fri 27-Jul-18 10:56:30

A couple of years ago, we stayed in the Novotel Berlin Mitte for three nights with a group of friends. It was comfortable; the staff spoke excellent English; breakfasts were superb; there was a u-bahn station 2 minutes walk away and also bus stops; a short walk across the river took you to an area with all the restaurants and bars anyone could wish to choose from.

I'd certainly be happy to stay there again.
www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-3278-novotel-berlin-mitte/index.shtml

Rowantree Fri 27-Jul-18 09:55:02

Bit of a long-shot, I know.... but we're planning a train journey in September, to take in Berlin, Dresden, Wroclaw, Poznan, Crakow. OH is planning the train details. We've booked some of the trains now, but have no idea about Berlin hotels. Can anyone recommend anywhere in or near the centre? Not a hostel, mid-priced rather than luxury which we cannot afford. We're staying 5 nights in Berlin. Suggestions welcome!