Gransnet forums

Travel

Transatlantic cruise advice needed.

(12 Posts)
Katek Sat 28-Jul-18 20:24:16

We have two big birthdays next year so have decided we’d like to book a transatlantic cruise. There’s so much info out there that it’s hard to find your way through it! What we would like to do is cruise in both directions with a short stay in New York in between. All the trips we’ve found fly you home after a stay or else the cruise just turns round and there’s no stay. I definitely do not want to fly in either direction! Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Marydoll Sat 28-Jul-18 20:29:45

Can't help Katek, but it's nice to see you posting. I was wondering if you were ok, as I hadn't noticed you posting recently.
Sounds a great idea.

ContraryMary88 Sat 28-Jul-18 20:40:45

It might be best to go to your local Travel agent to get some advice.

Parsley3 Sat 28-Jul-18 21:04:19

We also have big birthdays next year and are planning the same holiday as you to celebrate. I am keeping my eye on Jetline Cruises. They have a no fly option.

Tartlet Sun 29-Jul-18 01:30:54

I think you’ll struggle to find a round trip transatlantic which gives you a few days in New York. Your only option i think would be to book two separate cruises with different cruise lines and manage the New York bit yourself.

I’m wondering whether you’re new to cruising because a return transatlantic trip means an awful lot of days at sea and they can get tedious, especially if you hit rough seas. I was very glad to arrive in New York after 7 nights at sea and wouldn’t have wanted to turn round and do it again in a few days time. Apologies if you’re a seasoned cruiser andknow what to expect.

Jane10 Sun 29-Jul-18 06:12:39

We did a 2 week Baltic cruise in June and it was fabulous! Beautiful ship (not too massive) fabulous food and service. Superb ports of call. The sea was calm and we had a few sea days but not too many.
There are 2 week cruises in lots of different areas. Why not do one of them and also do a minibreak to New York (if you really have to go there!)

Tartlet Sun 29-Jul-18 15:38:51

I also did a Baltic cruise in June (my second there) and it was just as good as the first time. I went on it because it had three full days in St Petersburg and so much still I wanted to see there. A fabulous experience overall.

But I’m not knocking the choice of transatlantic and New York and there might be a special reason for that choice but I agree with you Jane10 that there are many other cruising choices which might be more interesting. For me, cruising is an effortless way of touring and I don’t think I’d go for the on board experience alone.

Horses for courses.

PS. One of my best ever holidays was the Canadian Rockies, Rocky Moutaineer train to Vancouver and an Alaskan cruise. That was really something special.

Divawithattitude Sun 29-Jul-18 15:50:27

Cunard do the crossing on a couple of ships. Problem youwill have is that few stay in NY for long before returning. There are some great deals on at the moment to fly out and cruise home or vice versa.

jeanie99 Sun 29-Jul-18 16:23:51

We did a round trip from Southampton with P & O in 2015.
NYC
Newport Boston
Cambridge
Portland Maine
St Johns Canada
Halifax Canada
Quebec Canada
Sydney Canada
Southampton
Good trip great weather
They are doing the cruise this year so check out for 2019

www.pocruises.com/r817/

Jane10 Sun 29-Jul-18 16:26:15

Looks like it's sold out already and Katek wanted to spend longer in NY (God knows why. I didn't like it much!!)

jeanie99 Sun 29-Jul-18 16:34:46

We sailed on The Queen Mary transatlantic one way loved it. You could check out the return sailings.
Make a trip of it staying in the USA cruising back.

www.cruisecritic.co.uk/cruiseto/cruiseitineraries.cfm?depcity=129&portofcall=94

jeanie99 Sun 29-Jul-18 16:38:00

Check this out for travel information
www.seat61.com/queen-mary-2-transatlantic.htm