Gransnet forums

Travel

Traffic in Dubai

(9 Posts)
garna Tue 11-Sep-18 20:07:18

I'm going on a business trip to Dubai. I've never been to the Emirates before. What kind of traffic is it? Is it better to rent a car, go by taxi or by public transport?

Hilltopgran Wed 12-Sep-18 00:07:46

If it is your first time, use taxis theyare not expensive. The traffic is fast, and speed cameras are everywhere. Daughter and family lived there for six years, we never had any difficulty finding a taxi at any time of day or night.

PECS Wed 12-Sep-18 08:27:09

My relatives in Dubai despair re traffic and travel at peak times. Taxi or private driver might be a better option on a short stay.

Beau Wed 12-Sep-18 08:39:13

I went once when my daughter lived there for a few years - I got one of the ladies pink taxis with a lady driver when I first arrived. My daughter ended up buying a car but the roads are quite hazardous - there are some mad drivers there! No shortage of taxis though - it's one of the jobs that expats from certain countries do, I remember Egypt was one of the countries, very reasonable prices - the ladies taxis are a bit more expensive I think.

NanaandGrampy Wed 12-Sep-18 09:21:37

I would use taxis - remember the driving test was only recently implemented in Dubai ( I was working for the company that did it at the time) and it was all very hit and miss.

Also , in my opinion if you hire a car and are involved in an accident you are at a disadvantage not being a Dubai national. I certainly wouldn't risk it .

Joelsnan Wed 12-Sep-18 09:41:02

I lived and drove there for a number of years and the driving is manic. There are so many ex pats from different countries trying to drive as they would at home. The locals have an Inshallah attitude (god willing) if they get to their destination its gods will, if they dont then its also god will. They will tailgate you flashing their lights even if you are exceeding the speed limit, they will fly down the inside hard shoulder. Either be prepared to drive almost as aggressively as them (you have to if you want to drive and survive), but my advice would be to get taxis, they are reasonable price, door to door, clean and parking is horrendous too.

farview Wed 12-Sep-18 12:59:17

Yes would definitely use taxis..my daughter & family live in Dubai so we go quite often,the taxis are reliable,cheap and very safe!

jeanie99 Wed 26-Sep-18 07:28:03

We have stayed in Dubai a couple of times if you have a choice of hotels stay near the Dubai metro sky train stops. If you do you can get from A to B very easily. It is quicker than using taxis which are very expensive and get delayed in traffic dependant on the time of day.
Some areas are not covered but I would not recommend renting a car unless you are a confidant driver and used to driving in different situations.
Dubai is not what I would call a walking, we stayed one time in the Dubai Marina it's near a Sky train stop and you have this amazing area to walk during the day and night and feel safe. I would certainly recommend the area.
The Creek area is more traditional.

garna Sat 29-Sep-18 21:23:30

Thanks everybody for your tips