Gransnet forums

Travel

Alaska

(22 Posts)
Izabella Tue 08-Jan-19 15:31:25

My feet are itching and I have a new backpack from Santa. So. I am wondering if anyone has been to Alaska and has recommendations and so on. I do not want a sanitised version and not a cruise. Am interested to hear about any train travel or backpacking exploits.

ninathenana Tue 08-Jan-19 15:44:46

Michael Portillo is doing a series on Alaskan Railroads on BBC2 at 6.30 week days. Might give you some ideas.

Nonnie Tue 08-Jan-19 16:01:18

Sounds great, enjoy

Izabella Tue 08-Jan-19 18:37:10

Thank you ninathenana it is being recorded as I type.

Chewbacca Tue 08-Jan-19 18:39:25

There is nowhere in the world that I would want to visit as much as Alaska. My chances of doing so are slim to nil. Have a fabulous time there Izabella and please come back and tell us what you see there.

Izabella Tue 08-Jan-19 23:13:15

Well thanks so much for telling me abut this programme. This looks like a next year job if I want to coincide with the whale migration (too late to organise for this year.) The programme has given me so many ideas. Such a big land mass and many possibilities. Am off to look at trains and warn some cousins across the pond!!

Izabella Tue 08-Jan-19 23:15:47

Oooooh Anchorage is the cycling centre of Alaska. Looks like I am on to a winner!

BlueSapphire Wed 09-Jan-19 09:41:01

It looks wonderful in the Michael Portillo programme. Anyone ever watch the tv series Northern Exposure? That was set in Alaska, loved it.

henetha Wed 09-Jan-19 09:50:15

Me too.. I want to go there. It's looks wonderful.
Shall we hire a mini-bus and all go together?

Blinko Wed 09-Jan-19 09:56:39

Henetha count me in!

Beau Wed 09-Jan-19 10:06:53

DD and SIL went for 10 days when DGS was a few months old (he stayed with me) - they loved it, went on helicopter trips etc. (It was instead of an eternity ring so quite expensive). They definitely are going to take DGS when he's older. The only thing is, DD has never touched salmon since ? (I got the impression they ate nothing else!) I seem to remember they felt they were in Anchorage too long as there was not too much going on there.
I warned them the people might be a little bit odd as I also used to watch 'Northern Exposure' ?

Izabella Wed 09-Jan-19 13:58:25

Thanks Beau I have been researching this morning. Cousins report great cycling out of Anchorage so will look at that. Apart from that just restock, catch breath and do the washing there I think. I am currently looking at small boat travel, railroad, hiking and biking as a comination package, but we shall see.

I can identify with the salmon. When I was in Churchill, Manitoba I was told about the wonderful Arctic Char fish, how wonderful it was etc etc. Well I ordered some and thought it was dreadful. My server was quite affronted.

Does anyone have any reports of midges? Or the lack of?

mimiro Wed 09-Jan-19 14:27:39

alaska is magnificent.
be aware if you are planning to do it soon.
trump has shutdown the federal government and the parks are closing down all over the country.no refuse control,no rescue.emergancy services even if they are open.
i hope you do get to see this beautifl place.have a cousin there and go every chance i can.

Cherrytree59 Wed 09-Jan-19 15:32:23

God that man!!! grr

First Thank you Isabella and the other posters.
Because I was intrigued by this thread I Googled Alaska.
How beautiful is that amazing state.smile
Last year I had read a novel set in Anchorage.
It did give a feel of the life and people living there.

I also looked into what mimiro had said (warned) re trump
What a stupid excuse for a man!
Oil and The Mighty Dollar thats all he cares about.
Closing wild life reserves in order to sell the land to the Oil industry.sad
Alaska is suffering from
global warming.
But in trumpland there is no such thing.angry

Izabella Wed 09-Jan-19 21:00:36

Cherrytree59 can you remember the book title please? We found many of the California Parks closed/unmanned at one time when the state went bust. Trump however, is another matter .............

mirimo it is looking like early 2020 due to planning and current travel plans. I shall do some of my planning via Traifinders and they will be up to the mark regarding any problems but I note your caution, thank you.

MaggieTulliver Thu 10-Jan-19 12:48:55

I had really never considered visiting Alaska until I watched Michael Portillo - now it's top of my list! I had no idea that the US bought it off the Russians either. No advice to give OP but am totally with you in wanting to visit and trust you get there (despite wretched POTUS).

starbird Fri 11-Jan-19 03:57:40

I love those trains being higher up and with big windows, would love to go there too.

jeanie99 Mon 14-Jan-19 01:57:34

Alaska is on our bucket list.

Nannytopsy Mon 14-Jan-19 07:22:50

On our list too! 2020 is a possibility.

Auntieflo Mon 14-Jan-19 09:20:35

Izabella your trip sounds as though it will be wonderful, and keep my fingers crossed for you that you can organise it just the way you want.
Although we did the sanitised version / cruise, and went on
an organised trip, way back, 2001, for our 40th wedding anniversary. It included a 4 day coach tour through the Rockies, before boarding a cruise ship and doing the Inside Passage.
It was wonderful, especially the coach tour, as it was a new experiment by the company, to see how it was received. It was such a good offer, staying in a couple of excellent hotels, and the scenery was magnificent.
We both enjoyed the cruise, but could not disembark at one stop, as the weather was too rough. I would do it all again in a heartbeat, but unfortunately health problems now mean extortionate travel insurance.
Here's hoping you get to enjoy Alaska in the future, under your own steam.

TimothyMiranda Thu 27-Jun-19 16:57:50

As far as I know, Alaska's climate is similar to the north pole or Siberia one. I was there with the help of www.russiadiscovery.com/ and enjoyed the cozy rooms and marvelous landscapes from my window. But the first recommendation is warm clothes and a lot of tea or coffee.

jackfowler Mon 08-Jul-19 13:31:43

Alaska can also be a challenging place to meet people because the place tends to be so transient.