Gransnet forums

Travel

Online Bookings - One to watch

(5 Posts)
Telly Mon 28-Jan-19 12:29:40

I booked a short break with HomeAway, they include a Service Charge which they also say is VAT. I don't see how it can be as the charge was substantial, but less than 20%. Anyway it also seems that the accommodation is listed through an letting agent, who emailed me asking for an insurance payment and pet payment. On their invoice is also detailed the fact that they have a booking fee wrapped up in the amount I paid HomeAway. I do feel as if I have been caught here, paying 2 fees. I am posting to that others can avoid paying both fees ie check to see if accommodation is listed elsewhere with any online letting agent. I would have saved £100 by booking with the UK agents. Cross with myself.

Willow500 Mon 28-Jan-19 12:47:17

Are they a company outside the UK? The VAT could be at a different rate to ours although it should be made clear what the admin charge is and not mixed in with the VAT.

Telly Mon 28-Jan-19 13:39:09

Yes, I think they may be outside the UK. I do feel like I have been well and truly ripped off! Still you live and learn.....

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 14:19:41

?

jeanie99 Sat 16-Feb-19 22:52:55

Is this a rental agent for private owners?
If so they will certainly make a service charge and VAT on top for the country they are based in which may be a different % to ours.
If I book through an agent for accommodation say hotels I always check with the hotel cost as well sometimes it's less.
Another reason I also check now with the hotel is because: for the same holiday I booked two hotels with different agents when we arrived both hotels had closed down and had been for some months.
My husband and I were staying in a town we knew well so could sort this out but say someone with children had arrived not knowing the area this could have been a real problem as it was 11.30 pm.