Gransnet forums

Travel

Trip Advisor: problems

(22 Posts)
giulia Tue 29-Jan-19 08:06:06

I booked a flat in Hove over the Christmas period, paying £100 deposit against damages. The flat owner made no claim for any damages so I should have got back my deposit around January 7.
Nothing from them. I texted them an enquiry last Friday but all I've received since then is an automatic reply telling me to check my inbox|!

Nothing there. I want the money in my account anyway, not a message.

Has anybody else had similar problems?

I will not use them again for this reason.

Ohmother Tue 29-Jan-19 08:41:14

Who did you make the contract with (hand over money to) ? Trip Advisor or the holiday let? Chase the one you had the contract with.

giulia Tue 29-Jan-19 08:59:30

Ohmother all paid through Trip Advisor themselves.

giulia Tue 29-Jan-19 09:00:26

I am chasing them but they just ignore me.

mumofmadboys Tue 29-Jan-19 09:10:31

Contact the owner again and say unless the deposit is returned you will mention this in your review on tripadvisor

giulia Tue 29-Jan-19 09:40:00

When I try to contact the owner now, Trip Advisor say that "for technical reasons" message cannot be forwarded.
In earlyJanuary, he confirmed that the money should already have been on my account as he had made no claim. He also complained about their services and said he was reverting to Air B&B. He has not replied either to my latest direct email query.

Trip Advisor send me automatic responses, telling me to go to my inbox. Nothing there!

I am in Italy, which makes telephoning prohibitive. Anyway, I cannot seem to find a number to call.

megan123 Tue 29-Jan-19 09:44:47

I would send a "Letter Before Action" (available for download on the internet) to Trip Advisor.

giulia Tue 29-Jan-19 09:49:19

megan123 Thank you. Will look into this.

I really want to know if others have had similar problems? Surely, it can't just be me:

giulia Tue 29-Jan-19 09:52:15

PS: I cannot even find an address to send a "Letter Before Action" to! Am I blind or dotty?

B9exchange Tue 29-Jan-19 10:01:09

gethuman.com/phone-number/TripAdvisor might help you actually speak to someone, probably the best way of getting it resolved? Good luck!

Missfoodlove Tue 29-Jan-19 10:17:31

If you have not done so already then download the trip advisor app and sign in. All your information bookings emails etc will be on the app.
This is easy to navigate and there is a help section.

megan123 Tue 29-Jan-19 10:21:23

The "Letter Before Action" is a template for you to send to Trip Advisor, which should be sent to their Head Office (which is on their website) Registered and Signed For. You will need to type it yourself filling in their address and your holiday reference number, with dates, addresses etc.

megan123 Tue 29-Jan-19 10:25:49

Plus what you are claiming (monetary terms) and that you expect a reply within 7 days.

megan123 Tue 29-Jan-19 10:39:20

Also heading LETTER BEFORE ACTION.

Telly Tue 29-Jan-19 11:05:15

I did once have this problem, but was refunded as soon as I contacted the owner. They had just forgot. They are ignoring you so the Letter before Action may just prompt them into action. However if you paid with a Credit Card you may be able to claim there.

Ohmother Wed 30-Jan-19 19:21:44

Threatening with The Small Claims Court?

M0nica Wed 30-Jan-19 20:05:27

But didn't Giulia say she is in Italy. She will need to do the legal action through the British court system and may need a solicitor in Britain to handle it for her.

£100 is not an enormous amount. I would just put a lousy review on trip advisor, stating your problems, try to get the money back through your card company, assuming you paid by credit card and write it off to experience.

megan123 Wed 30-Jan-19 20:38:32

You don't need a solicitor to send a Letter Before Action. You do it yourself.

megan123 Wed 30-Jan-19 20:43:41

And £100 may not be very much to you, it is to some people and it certainly would be to me!

M0nica Wed 30-Jan-19 23:00:57

But if you can afford to fly here from Italy and book a flat for a period of time. then £100 is not a huge sum. If you were too poor to do either, that would be different.

Eloethan Wed 30-Jan-19 23:58:51

£100 is not a fortune but it would be enough for me to at least have a go at getting the money back.

I believe it is expected - and perhaps a requirement - that a person be given a period of time (usually 14 days I think) to remedy the situation before legal proceedings are issued. Hopefully, the risk of a claim being made would elicit repayment but, if not, it is probably not worth spending out more money (and time) to go to the small claims court.

giulia Thu 31-Jan-19 06:02:31

GOOD NEWS: the flat owner whatsapped me last to ask if I had received my deposit. When I told him NO, he has said he will try to sort it with them himself today.

I smiled at the comments about whether £100 is worth fighting for. First, it's the principle but for us this annual trip to see my daughter is important but means we cannot take any other holidays. She cannot take time off work to come here as is in a dodgy work situation. In effect, renting a small flat where we can cook our own meals is cheaper than a Bed and Breakfast. Certainly couldn't consider a hotel.