Gransnet forums

Travel

Peaceful areas in Greece or Greek Islands

(22 Posts)
fourormore Sun 03-Feb-19 20:12:18

DH and I are thinking of taking a holiday in Greece or the Greek Islands, and, although we don't necessarily want an 'adult only' hotel we would prefer a resort that is peaceful and slightly away from pubs, clubs and nightlife!
Do any of you have areas that you could recommend?
We would like to be near a decent beach and some shops so we would not be reliant on taxis etc. every day, but we need to be able to relax in 'quietish' surroundings.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

EllanVannin Sun 03-Feb-19 20:54:47

My eldest D and SiL are going to Skiathos with friends in June. The holiday was booked last year from Australia where they live, then they'll be in the UK for the rest of their stay.

trisher Sun 03-Feb-19 21:10:37

If you want Greece like it used to be try Symi but not in the high season. It's a boat ride from Rhodes, very small, a bit steep, but has lovely quiet beaches some of which can only be reached by water taxi. There's a monastery right on one of the beaches. Nice hotel right on the port in Symi, or on the beach in another place . Little tavernas next to some of the beaches. Great place. Olympic do holidays there.

LullyDully Sun 03-Feb-19 21:54:27

( Recalling memories of sleeping on the beach on Ios many years ago in 1969...sorry no help to you in 2019!!!!!)

crystaltipps Sun 03-Feb-19 22:39:47

www.ionianislandholidays.com/meganisi-island-holidays-MEG.htm Meganisi is a small Ionian Island with a couple of hotels and tavernas. No airport so you have to get there by boat. Very quiet. Lots of walking, quiet coves. Hire a boat . Lovely.

pensionpat Sun 03-Feb-19 22:40:18

Skiathos is my favourite Greek Island- not that I have been in more than half a dozen! I would recommend staying on the outskirts of Skiathos Town for peace and quiet, and within walking distance of the town, which is cosmopolitan and quite lively.

annep1 Sun 03-Feb-19 23:08:09

I have never been ..don't like long flights but if I plucked up the courage it would be Hydra where Leonard Cohen lived. Apparently there are no cars on the island. My husband stayed on Kythira and loved it.

KatyK Thu 07-Feb-19 17:37:21

Santorini is breathtaking. The sunsets are unbelievable. I can't remember the area we stayed in but everywhere we went on the island was beautiful. The only downside was the airport. It's far too small, packed to the rafters with very little assistance available. Still it was worth it. I never imagined I would visit there.

Framilode Thu 07-Feb-19 18:50:53

We went to Leros and loved it. Boat ride from Kos. Check out guardian travel they have an article on it. Very unspoiled.

fourormore Thu 07-Feb-19 19:07:21

Thank you all for the suggestions - work is in progress and I am sure we will have a great time!
All the best to you all flowers

morethan2 Thu 07-Feb-19 20:19:05

I’m sharing a secret, don’t tell too many people the words already getting around and I don’t want it to become too popular. There’s a little village in the Peloponnese on the Greek mainland called Stoupa. Its a small bay, safe to swim in it’s warm waters. It’s surrounded by taverners the food and wine are locally sourced. There are no high rise hotels. Tourist are mainly British, Norwegian and Greek . It’s very quiet with not much to do except relax, swim eat and converse with the friendly locals. if you drive hire a car ( it’s not as scary as you think) there’s spectacular scenery. Thomas Cook is the main agent but Olympic also have some let’s but don’t provide transfers but local agencies can arrange, you can also book flights and apartments independently. You fly into Kalamata. Where ever you go I’m sure it will be wonderful Greece and it’s people are warm and friendly.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 07-Feb-19 22:34:16

Went to Spetses many years ago, loved it.

Sunlover Fri 08-Feb-19 08:42:53

Why just visit one island? The beauty of the Greek Islands is that you can island hop very easily. My friend and I jumped on a ferry in Turkey and visited Leros, Simi, Rhodes, Kalymnos and Kos. We had two weeks in Greece before going back to Turkey. Each island was very different. Had the most wonderful time.

Fennel Fri 08-Feb-19 09:26:59

We had an island-hopping holiday too, in the '70s.
Andros, Mykonos, Paros Ios, all beuatiful. Took a tent and slept on the beaches, ate in tavernas.
I wonder if it has changed?

Sunlover Fri 08-Feb-19 14:46:43

Fennel, I also did it back in the 70's. We slept on beaches and rooftops. Had an amazing time. This time in my 60's was very different!! Accommodation booked in advance and no backpacks just wheelie suitcases. Still loved it! The Greek islands are so beautiful and varied.

petra Sun 10-Feb-19 21:30:19

morethan2
Shhhhh. We used to take the motohome there when we lived in Bulgaria.

Iam64 Sun 10-Feb-19 22:08:08

The islands are often very busy and more expensive than the mainland, or a big island like Crete. The peloppinese is beautiful, as the post above says, fly to kalamata and drive to the coast, stoupa is a built resort but beautiful and not just a British resort, which is good. I love Crete but avoid the busy northern coast and go south for the beaches, driving through the mountains is a joy

Eloethan Sun 10-Feb-19 22:57:00

I liked Kefalonia very much. Thassos is nice too. They're the only two parts of Greece I've been to but I believe there are dozens of lovely islands to choose from. I expect all of the places mentioned here are lovely so just take your pick.

Krissi851 Thu 28-Feb-19 11:41:13

I am going alone to Greece, I have been lots of times with family , but I am travelling alone these days which Greek island would be right for me, not too busy!!

callgirl1 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:47:13

The only Greek islands I`ve been to are Zakynthos and Kefalonia, and I absolutely loved Kefalonia. We stayed in an apartment right next to Mounda beach, a few minutes drive from Skala, a nice small town.

Fennel Thu 28-Feb-19 18:54:36

Avoid Mykonos - unless you belong to the LG etc comunity.

Oldbat1 Sat 13-Apr-19 21:25:18

Symi is a lovely island with some great restaurants. Next to no trees on Symi. Andros is very pleasant island with great walking and no airport. Paxos is another. I would like to go to Skiathos or Allionisis some day.