Gransnet forums

Travel

Has anyone changed their travelling plans ...

(141 Posts)
jura2 Wed 06-Mar-19 16:24:47

... due to current uncertainties?

jura2 Wed 03-Apr-19 19:53:41

Just booked the Tunnel for en April for 2.5 weeks - visiting GCs so nothing will stop me. Tunnel is brilliant with the dog, as she stays in the car with us. If anything goes wrong we will just book into a Hotel and wait it out- and take food and water with us, and an umbrella to hide behind just in case ;)

DoraMarr Wed 03-Apr-19 14:46:08

Passports are checked by French passport control before boarding Eurostar in London, so even after Brexit arriving at Gare du Nord shouldn’t be a problem, unless there is a strike or a work to rule. After Brexit we may need visas- but who knows what will happen? There seem to be bargains for foreign travel, even during the school holidays, because of uncertainty over Brexit.

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Apr-19 13:59:39

DH has been under the tunnel but without me.

I suppose I could sit with my eyes shut the whole time, if I did need to use it.

dragonfly46 Wed 03-Apr-19 13:46:18

I used to think that about the tunnel but when I went in it for the first time I was amazed how quick it was and how efficient. It is much quicker than flying.

petra Wed 03-Apr-19 13:37:21

jalima
I vowed that I would never use the tunnel but on the day the Icelandic ash cloud descended I was booked to fly home from Germany. The only train ticket I could get took me to the euro tunnel terminal angry
It will be the one and only time.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 12:46:37

You'd have to pay me a couple of £m to go through the Tunnel.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 12:45:47

Floradora that type of plane would have put me off more than anything; thank goodness they have all now been grounded.
Although I had to double-check as we are booked to go on a Boeing 737, DH assures me it is not that model.

jura2 Tue 02-Apr-19 11:22:21

Seems that GNetters are very different to the general public. There is a huge wave of panic with airlines and holiday providers, as bookings are seriously down. It seems people are awaiting for more certainty.

We personally had changed the date of our driving to UK to see GCs, from end of march to end april - as we were worried about using the Tunnel and other disturbances in Calais and Dover- seems like the end of april might be a bad idea after all. Whatever the UK decides, if the French choose to blocade or stop the free flow of traffic- there is nothing the UK will be able to do- we are at their mercy.

Floradora9 Tue 12-Mar-19 14:42:53

We fly just before Brexit to the Canaries no travel worries apart from thinking if our plane was the same one as crashed we would cancel . TUI were using them but from the Midlands I discovered however I see to-day the UK have banned the planes .

DoraMarr Tue 12-Mar-19 11:29:06

Yes, somewhat. Instead of taking the Metro from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse station we are having a private transfer, just in case we have to go through passport checks at Gare du Nord. It’s been great to visit European cities by train and arrive in the city centre and walk straight out, I hope that doesn’t change. We’ll have to see what happens after today’s vote.

gillyjp Tue 12-Mar-19 10:54:32

'I like the sound of the driving holiday along the Amalfi coast, we did that years ago BC ( before children) from Sorrento, it was wonderful.
As you drive along, play ‘On Days Like These’ Matt Monroe'

Funny you mentioned the above Lemongrove as we did that very thing playing that song a few years ago! Exhilarating

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Mar-19 13:23:30

Obviously they are not "turndown" I typed downturn!!! ?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Mar-19 13:22:26

Suzied, my family lived in Spain as did I. There are only a few resorts as you describe.

Unfortunately lots of hotels in Spain are now all inclusive, which means lower tourist footfall in the towns, consequently local bars, restaurants and shops are suffering a huge turndown in their trade/profits.

It is the out of the way beaches and inland towns which are seeing an upturn in trade as holidaymakers look for something different, true Spain is a fabulous place.

M0nica Sun 10-Mar-19 13:09:25

Every country looks down and is dismissive of tourists from other countries, or even different parts of their own country.

Quite happy to take their money though!

suzied Sun 10-Mar-19 11:11:29

Brits in Spain have a bad reputation - huge beer bellies hanging over union jack shorts and bright red sunburnt skin, knocking back the cheap lager and egg and chips, or rowdy teenagers getting drunk and behaving badly every night in cheap resorts.

Urmstongran Sun 10-Mar-19 11:06:13

Well Lily65 I imagine they go for the sun, the sangria and the all day English breakfasts! I expect Europe laughs at them but don’t mind as long as the tills keep ringing - if the ex pats took their money to say Turkey or Florida their money would be missed!

M0nica Sun 10-Mar-19 10:37:41

grin

M0nica Sun 10-Mar-19 10:37:05

Thank you.

andycameron69 Sun 10-Mar-19 10:26:56

I admire clever spellers.

grin

M0nica Sun 10-Mar-19 10:26:33

CORRECTION
Shee onyl dues it too annoi becuase she no's it teeses.

M0nica Sun 10-Mar-19 10:24:17

She only does it to annoy because she knows it teases.

annodomini Sat 09-Mar-19 21:06:16

Pedants, please head for Pedants' Corner.

Lily65 Sat 09-Mar-19 20:23:48

Now here's a thing, how those who despise immigrants and all things European feel perfectly happy to pitch up in Spain and mingle in with the other ex pats?

mcem Sat 09-Mar-19 20:14:46

And yet another visit from the spelling police!

Urmstongran Sat 09-Mar-19 20:11:00

Quite right MagicWriter
Salou! ?