Gransnet forums

Travel

Do any of you ever take day trips on a coach?

(23 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Wed 17-Apr-19 00:36:26

I used to love the Wallace Arnold coach trips when I lived in the UK and took my elder (then only) son all over the place.
They were excellent value.

Now, if I wanted to take a coach trip within NZ, even a day trip, the cost is, quite literally more than a flight to Australia 2,000km away.

A tour of the South Island is actually more than a flight to the UK and back.

Elrel Tue 16-Apr-19 20:32:08

A friend does a lot of day trips with a firm local to her. She’s made friends with others who are regulars. She posts lovely pictures of her outings on Facebook and her family give her coach tokens as presents.

Tangerine Tue 16-Apr-19 20:08:58

I've done it on my own. Coach trips can be great fun and sometimes you make friends with other people. Try it - what have you got to lose?

bikergran Tue 16-Apr-19 20:00:02

own not won! tut

bikergran Tue 16-Apr-19 19:59:32

Ido have the opportunity to go or invite friends.
But....as other will understand once your on your won you have at least to try and do some things on your own.

I am looking forward to it and have my day planned as much as I can, no doubt I will be sat on a bench and be be friended lol , or maybe there may be another solo traveler to chat to. But I will be quite content pottering along on my own and see how it goes.

tally ho..away we go (well in few weeks) smile I shall report back (part 2) smile

TwiceAsNice Tue 16-Apr-19 19:31:56

There is a coach company locally who does day trips and holidays. I have done a couple of holidays with a friend but not sure I would like to do it on my own, may try a day trip. Same friend did a cruise on her own ( didn’t ask me I hate ships) but I thought it was really brave of her I definitely wouldn’t do that

Marydoll Tue 16-Apr-19 19:24:25

We have just booked a day trip to St Andrew's. We have never done anything like this before, saves us driving and trying to park, (St Andrew's is a nightmare for parking in August.)
Discovered the details of the trip on the back of my bus ticket on Friday! £15 return, with five hours to wander around the town.
So looking forward to it.

Biscuitmuncher Tue 16-Apr-19 19:05:04

I'm just jealous of you going to llandudno, it's my very favourite place

crazyH Tue 16-Apr-19 18:46:09

I've been on a few coach trips, enjoyed them all. Went on a 2 day coach trip to Bletchley Park.....loved it all, but always with friends. I dont know how I would feel, going alone, but my dear sister has travelled the world on her own. She never married, but enjoyed every minute of her life.

GrandmaMoira Tue 16-Apr-19 18:42:50

I would go on coach day trips if I could find any near me. As it is, I go out by train but you can't do things like National Trust properties that way.

Maggiemaybe Tue 16-Apr-19 18:38:51

We’ve not done day trips, but the 2 day National Holidays overnighters are really good value. We had a weekend to Stamford and Cambridge recently, and just before Christmas, one to Warwick Castle and Chatsworth House, both decorated for Christmas. Good hotels, admissions and dinner and breakfast included, they were both excellent value. Going by coach can be so much more relaxing than taking the car.

Grannyboots1 Tue 16-Apr-19 18:31:50

I have been on a couple of 3 day trips to Devon, and we are off to the Isle of Wight for Easter. Dh isn't keen on driving long distances and this solves the problem. I noticed the single people were seated together at meals. It's true a lot of the travellers were 'getting on. It's a good idea to try a day trip first.

bikergran Tue 16-Apr-19 18:31:25

Were not too bad here in Lancashire, have a few local coach companies who do day trips. So have a pretty good choice.

The only downside sometimes is all the various pick ups.

But the one I have chosen is only 2 pick ups and then we shall be on our way. "Watch out Llandudno here I come" lol.

Scribbles Tue 16-Apr-19 18:16:55

Para 3 above, delete over!

Scribbles Tue 16-Apr-19 18:14:58

OH and I did a day trip to Stamford last month. It's only about an hour away from home but we wanted to try out the coach company on a shortish trip as we both have long legs and often find coaches/buses/aircraft a miserable way to travel.

Full marks to the coach company: it was a comfortable journey with plenty of leg room and seats which had been designed for real people rather than Marvin the paranoid android!

It was my first coach trip for over nearly two decades. I used to do them quite often with a friend and we'd have a great time visiting historic sites and stately homes that our OHs weren't interested in. I also did one or two on my own to places which specifically interested me. I enjoyed those but i've always been content with my own company and never minded not having a travelling companion. Alas, we didn't do enough trips because the coach company we used went bust and then I found a full time job so there wasn't so much free time.

Based on last month's experience, I wouldn't be averse to booking again if, for some reason, going by car was not a practical option.

bikergran Tue 16-Apr-19 18:00:08

thanks smile

Gonegirl Tue 16-Apr-19 17:58:00

I think it's a great idea bikergran. I hope you have some lovely outings. smile

bikergran Tue 16-Apr-19 17:56:44

lol your driver sounded a hoot Day6

Always planned to ride up the Great Orme on my motorcycle (which dh persuaded me to swap for a bigger one just so I could do the Great Orme) about 5 years ago, but never managed to make it.

I shall take a selfie If I get up there , going next month. smile

bikergran Tue 16-Apr-19 17:52:22

I always thought of them for "oldies" lol many moons ago (you know when they all went out for day on the old fashioned coaches)

But here I am ready to hop on board one of our modern day coaches, complete with toilet facilities lol.

p.s this isn't the coach Im going on lol (although there is one in Llandudno similar that you can take a little trip on for nostalgia ) smile

Day6 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:52:16

We used to take my Mum out on Mystery Tours for the day, and even on short coach holidays. People on a coach tend to bond and chat together.

We befriended an older lady on her own when we took a coach trip to Ireland some years ago. She was excellent company - very sprightly and spirited.

I don't mind travelling or eating on my own. Like you bikergran I'd have a plan for when you arrive. I'd also take a book.

I think a change of scenery is a good idea and I hope you have a lovely time in Llandudno. The sea air will do you good too! (Have also climbed Gt Orme.) Let us know how you get on.

Just remembered, last time I did a coach trip the driver, a bit of a joker, introduced himself, then rolled his eyes and tutted. "Fifty Shades of Grey again today I see," he said, looking up and down the rows of seats. smile

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:43:51

Used to a lot with friends when I lived in Leicester - a local company organised fabulous day trips to gardens, castles, historical towns and all sorts of venues. Brilliant.

KatyK Tue 16-Apr-19 17:42:12

I haven't been on a coach trip for years but we've recently been having a look at the Megabus which is ridiculously cheap. We might give it a whirl.

bikergran Tue 16-Apr-19 17:34:33

Never been one for coaches, but now I am on my own, I have been making an effort to try and step forward.

Been checking out Day coach trips.

Went to Whitby 2 years ago with a friend on a day trip, we had a lovely time and had fish n chips etc.

Since then I haven't been on one , but today took the plunge and I have booked a day trip to Llandudno on my own (love Llandudno)

I shall buy a lovely sandwich from M & S and possibly take a trip up the "Great Orme". been up many a time with dh.

The coaches round here do day trips all over

Liverpool & New Brighton/Yorkshire/Emmerdale country/Canal cruises with afternoon tea.

But going on your own is not the same but!! needs must.

I do have friends who I can ask, but I feel like it's something I have! to do (try on my own) anyone else done this on day trips?