Gransnet forums

Travel

Jetlag

(7 Posts)
JackyB Thu 09-May-19 13:17:27

After a stay of just over 3 weeks, we got back from the States last Tuesday week. (West Coast - 9 hours' difference)

I had a hair appointment last Thursday at 9 am which I made OK, but it took me till Sunday to really get back into the routine.

Or so I thought.

It's now over a week and I am still sleeping at odd times. It's no good trying to stay awake when I really want to sleep (often for 2 hours at a time mid-morning or even late afternoon) - or even trying to sleep when I'm not tired. I went to choir practice on Thursday evening but overslept on Sunday and had to excuse myself for not singing with them at morning Mass (big event: First Communion for the kids in the village)

Not to mention the fact that my digestive system is all over the shop.

I didn't have much difficulty adjusting on the way out, but I feel totally disorientated after the return crossing from West to East. It may be that I am no longer working and haven't had to get up for anything except that hairdresser's appointment, but what can I do to re-align my Circadian rhythm?

DH has suggested going for a walk or swimming in the afternoons. I did think of that myself, so I'll be trying that.

What cures can anyone else suggest?

B9exchange Sat 11-May-19 19:21:18

I am sure it will wear off soon, try to get out in the sun as much as possible. Used to take at least a week to wear off for me.

On future long haul flights you could try what we do. Send off for a pack of Jet Ease No Jet Lag tablets before you go, I think Amazon may sell them now. Take one as soon as you take off, and one every two hours religiously during the flight, finishing with one on landing. If you are boarding another flight, then do the same with that one. As soon as you get onto the plane, put your watch to the time of your destination, and convince yourself that is the time now and behave accordingly.

I was recommended these tablets by a Kiwi cousin, was very sceptical, but they really do work!

SueDonim Sat 11-May-19 20:38:37

I've done the west coast trip a lot over the years. I make myself stay awake on the day I get home, which isn't hard, what with unpacking, maybe needing to food-shop, doing laundry etc. Then bed at a reasonable time and hopefully sleeping through until morning.

After that, absolutely no daytime naps! None whatsoever. If you feel sleepy, stand up, go for a walk, do something physical to keep you going until bedtime. I find it helpful to preplan the day so there are no 'fallow' periods when you might be tempted to snooze.

Light meals also help, so you don't have anything heavy on your stomach and no alcohol, either, but plenty of water.

Hope you're over it soon!

CocoPops Sun 12-May-19 05:32:09

I regularly fly across the pond. I take melatonin which reduces my jet lag by about 50%.

CocoPops Sun 12-May-19 05:43:48

I regularly fly across the pond. I drink lots of water on board. I take melatonin which reduces my jet lag by about 50%. When landing in the UK, usually in the morning, I manage to stay up and about until around 9 or 10 pm then flop into bed.

absent Sun 12-May-19 05:47:56

Having flown to and from New Zealand several times, which included a stopover and an internal flight after the long haul, I always found the best way to deal with fatigue was to go straight into local time. Maybe an early night, but not morning or afternoon naps. Mind you, I am happy that I never have to do that flight across the world again.

JackyB Sun 12-May-19 07:14:33

We will probably not be doing it again either, absent. We were over there to look after DGS for a while while DS and DiL went away. DS will be coming back soon, as his office in Silicon Valley is being closed down. Also, they had always said they would come back when the little one started school.

DH doesn't really enjoy being in the US as his English is not very good, but he did have a wonderful, if exhausting, time bonding with DGS.

SueDonim, I couldn't possibly not sleep during the day - either when suffering from jetlag or in the normal course of things. It just overcomes me. I'm in danger of my face falling in my dinner once I feel the tiredness coming on. (I've always been like that - at least since I was about 19)

B9 - thanks for the tip about the tablets. If the need arises, I will try and get hold of some. I can't see how they can work in both directions, though - what effect do they actually have?