I went to a local, large Post Office a couple of months ago and paid a few quid more than the standard charge (£9 from memory) for the most amazing service!
I gave my info verbally to a chap who typed it in, and he took the photo. The service guarantees that the photograph and details won't be rejected. I had a confirmation text before even leaving the PO, and several updates over the next few days. New passport was delivered early one morning the following week! I thoroughly recommend the service, as I'd put off renewing because it has always been such a faff in the past.
Another reason to not have a death penalty
Spoilers on shops like bake off
Thousands of prisoners to be released, starting from today.
How do you manage caring for elderly parents and keeping track of your children?
) then chose the one we both thought would be most acceptable. They do seem to be very fussy about the photo now.