Gransnet forums

Travel

Trains

(22 Posts)
blueskies Sun 26-May-19 17:13:58

I’m no stranger to travel and in younger days backpacked and crewed on boats. However I am daunted by a lengthy journey to a family wedding. Southampton to Holyhead. It is seven hours by train. I could fly to Manchester but then a three hour train journey. Problems with not able to put my feet up for all that time and ghastly train loos. I do want to go but should I?

Alima Sun 26-May-19 17:31:41

Could you split the trip, maybe stop overnight en route to jazz it up a bit? I am going by train from Brighton to Derby. Then going home to Hampshire. Will have to buy ..single tickets and I am amazed that the fares will be less than a Derby/Hampshire return.

crazyH Sun 26-May-19 17:38:22

If you book your tickets roughly 15 weeks before travel you are likely to get it very cheap. Recently, I bought tickets (7) for the family to travel to London in August ...got them @ £19.50 each. Single. Keeping my fingers crossed I will get the same deal for the return journey 2 days later. Got to check next week .

trisher Sun 26-May-19 17:44:43

blueeskies if you book early consider spending what you save by booking First Class much better facilities. Free coffee, breakfasts papers etc sometimes.

maryeliza54 Sun 26-May-19 17:55:11

Yes first class if you can afford it. Toilets usually better ( less used) and you can book a seat where there’s just two seats with each facing each other and often the one opposite may be free. I then put a newspaper on the seat, take off my shoes and put my feet up.

M0nica Sun 26-May-19 17:57:27

Why not treat yourself to a day in Bristol and stay over as Alima suggests. It is such an interesting and busy city with so much to see and a day sight seeing there would be great fun.

My experience is that nowadays train loos are far better than they used to be.

Auntieflo Sun 26-May-19 18:01:30

CrazyH, just a thought. Why didn’t you buy an open return for your journey, especially as you are booking so far in advance?

DoraMarr Sun 26-May-19 18:01:39

You can travel at certain times with just one change, at Wolverhampton. For instance, the 10.17 from Southampton will give you a thirty minute break at Wolverhampton to go to the loo, although train toilets are usually ok. Consider getting a railcard, which will reduce the fare by a third. Travel first class- it’s quieter, with more legroom, and you will get a drink and a snack. Also, split your ticket- for instance buy the S’ton to Wolverhampton ticket separately from the Wolv’ton to Holyhead, because that usually works out cheaper. The second part of the journey is particularly beautiful.
Go- it will be fun!

blueskies Mon 27-May-19 11:02:09

Thank you all for your suggestions. I suppose it is something to do with getting older— being so feeble about travel I have travelled the world so I must get out from my comfort zone and get my life back.

EllanVannin Mon 27-May-19 11:12:57

Blueskies you've mirrored my feelings too.
My plane/train hopping days are now a distance away.

EllanVannin Mon 27-May-19 11:23:27

Especially when I got the wrong train from Gare-du-Nord, Paris and had gone for miles before realising it, then had to do the same distance back. It wasn't that many years ago but did make me realise I wasn't as sharp as I used to be. It nearly put me off altogether !
That was one busy station.

Eglantine21 Mon 27-May-19 11:26:13

Blue skies, be aware if you are travelling by Southern, that their first class compartments are just a dozen seats at the end of a normal carriage. No extra facilities!

henetha Mon 27-May-19 11:33:48

I recently did 9 hours on a train to Scotland alone.
I bought a rail card first which gave me one-third off the train fare.
It was lovely, I enjoyed watching all the comings and goings and seeing so many places along the way.
I did have an adventure in the train loo, - someone walked in on me at a crucial moment, but apart from that it was fine.
I took sandwiches, but they do come round with a trolley
regularly.
It's up to you, but I'd say go. Plenty of time for home comforts later on. Have a bit of an adventure! Good luck.

MawBroonsback Mon 27-May-19 11:35:42

Train loos are no longer necessarily nasty!
Virgin loos (the sort with the round swivel door) are spacious and generally very clean.

jura2 Mon 27-May-19 16:41:12

indeed, and if you have a travel bag, you could put your feet up on that too.

jura2 Wed 29-May-19 20:34:36

btw, many EU train companies are starting night trains again for long journeys, to cut down on short flights (if you see what I mean...) and to be more ecologically friendly.

Hurrah.

jura2 Sun 09-Jun-19 12:23:01

Glad to hear that there is more and more pressure to re-introduce thos night train and add to the choice. Austria seems to lead the way, with Switzerland right behind.

Friends from San Fran were in Madrid recently and decided to fly to Bilbao in the North for a few days. So they had to travel to airport, short flight, travel into town, and back again. Ticket for ticket, first class train would have been a tad more expensive- but they would have saved to cost of getting to ariports and back, and would have left and arrived town centre to town centre. Makes so much more sense for short flights which are the most polluting of all, %ally.

jackfowler Thu 18-Jul-19 13:48:58

i like train journey summer vacation

infoman Mon 22-Jul-19 08:56:06

just joined the forum,could I suggest,if its not too late or maybe another time.
Train from Southampton to Cardiff and then Cardiff airport to RAF valley by plane.

jeanie99 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:30:26

Have you checked out all possible routes with all modes of transport.

You could also make it a longer trip and have a few days staying somewhere on route you haven't seen before. Travel doesn't need to be exhausting.
Obviously this will cost more and if you are working to a tight budget probably something you can't consider.
I like listening to music, take ear plugs also against the people who feel they need the coach/plane to hear all their conversations.
Best of luck and think positive.

Pantglas1 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:42:22

Blue skies I’m sure you can do it in two fell swoops - Southampton to London then Euston to Holyhead first class with a senior railcard which will cut the cost.

tanith Sat 17-Aug-19 19:59:32

The wedding may well of taken place by now.