Gransnet forums

Travel

Dartford Crossing

(12 Posts)
NfkDumpling Fri 14-Jun-19 15:39:12

I just went on line to book crossings for the tunnel/bridge for future trips so we didn’t forget and went into the first site which looked all official and efficient. We don’t go that way often but have two trips planned this summer. In the past I’ve bought etickets from our local supermarket, and it’s the first time I’ve done it on line.

It wasn’t until I’d put in the car number, car identified and all as expected, that the cost came up at £7.50 per crossing and DH exclaimed that it had gone up considerably since last year. I scrolled down and there at the bottom it said the site was run by Sarah Jones at an address in Bristol! What a nice little earner! Somehow she was creaming off £5 per trip, always assuming that she did actually put the order through.

I wonder how many other people go to this site first as the government site is further down the page. Is it a scam or genuine?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Jun-19 15:52:13

At a guess it’s a scam!!

Day6 Fri 14-Jun-19 15:52:34

Ooooh. Sounds like a scam!

I shall look out for that, thank you.

We travel down to see family in Kent a few times a year and go via the Dartford crossing. We've had no trouble with the site in the past but it's been a while since we've used it.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 14-Jun-19 15:53:37

gov.uk/paydartfordcrossing is the official site

B9exchange Fri 14-Jun-19 15:56:04

Seems it is a well known scam, if you paid my credit card, I would see if you could get your money back, and then book the routine one. See

www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/dartford-crossing-scam-catching-drivers-2545117

If you use it fairly regularly, why not use the Dart Charge, and it will bill you automatically?

www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/Home/SetupType

Good luck!

B9exchange Fri 14-Jun-19 15:56:29

by credit card, not mine! grin

Pittcity Fri 14-Jun-19 16:42:12

It's also cheaper per crossing with Dart Charge. You do have to deposit £10 minimum in advance though.

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Jun-19 17:49:34

We only go that way once in a blue moon. (Well, twice - there and back.) I’m just glad DH twigged before I’d put any details other than the car number in. It wasn’t until the bottom of the second page that the suspicious name crops up and the heading is for Dart Crossing and looks like their own site. So many things are contracted out these days. Looking again the Government site is just one of a list of four or five possibles. It wasn’t even second in line.

Bring back the coin baskets!

merlotgran Fri 14-Jun-19 18:09:19

You have to be so careful with these sites. I renewed DH's fishing licence in February using a link to the government site - or so I thought.

When the licence didn't arrive I rang the Environment Agency only to be told that a company called, 'Renew your licence online' had a site which was identical to the government one and charged a £15 admin fee. shock which I hadn't noticed.

I went back to the site and filled in their 'My licence hasn't arrived' section and still haven't had a reply so on Monday I'll be ringing the bank to see if they can get my money back.

In the meantime, DH has had to buy another licence. angry

Sar53 Fri 14-Jun-19 18:11:10

No please do not bring back the coin baskets !! We live in Essex and I have a daughter in Kent and so use the crossing fairly regularly.
We have an account, both of our cars are registered, and we are charged automatically when we cross. It's cheaper to do it this way too. When our account goes below £10.00 it takes £10.00 from my debit card.
We've had no problems with this and you don't have to worry about remembering to pay. I would recommend doing this if you use the crossing more than a few times a year.

silverlining48 Fri 14-Jun-19 18:34:07

Hope no one is using the bridge/ tunnel now, it’s gridlock at the moment.

NfkDumpling Sun 16-Jun-19 07:19:00

There must be a way around these on line scams. If you only use these things once or twice - on holiday, especially from abroad, for example - how on earth do you know who is the genuine one? It’s so easy to just look for the first site which looks to cover what you need.

A similar thing happened to us in Iceland recently with a toll tunnel, but luckily the tunnel was close to where we picked up our car and the car hire person had warned us and told us which site to use.