Gransnet forums

Travel

online renewal of passport

(10 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 25-Jun-19 18:42:51

Completed this this afternoon. Photo taken at local photo shop then emailed to me.Form completed so easily and able to download the photo easily too. Feeling chuffed that i was able to this by myself, much easier than the form from the post office which i found very confusing. Online defo the way to go, plus it was 10.00 cheaper too.

Pittcity Tue 25-Jun-19 19:21:54

I managed it with a photo taken on my phone by DS...even more money saving! It was back in less than a week.
I'm happy that it is still marked European Union too.

Jane10 Tue 25-Jun-19 19:51:31

The new ones are great too. We fairly whizzed through passport control on our recent holiday.

Charleygirl5 Tue 25-Jun-19 21:10:31

I could not believe how efficient it all was. My new passport arrived well within a week. Mine was straight forward which I suppose helped.

mosaicwarts Wed 26-Jun-19 00:06:39

I had to do mine on line too last year and was so relieved at how easy it was.

I found the old paper style form hard and had to go back twice just after my Mum died, the lady at the post office checked it for free the second time smile

Just as a heads up for anyone thinking of going to Sainsbury's for a credit card - they ask for your original passport as ID. I sent mine and it was returned with my utility bill in a flimsy A5 envelope which had split in the post, and it was lost. They did recompense me, but I was particularly upset as my husband had just died, all my holiday 'stamps' in it lost.

BlueSapphire Fri 12-Jul-19 21:27:54

Did mine on my own online this year too. So proud of myself, and so easy. Went to Timpsons in Sainsbury's, they took the photo, submitted it to the passport office who approved it, and gave me a code which I just had to enter on the computer, and the photo just came up. Had my new passport within the week.

travelsafar Fri 12-Jul-19 22:23:52

Love my new passport, beautiful pictures on every page depicting travel and all things British.

nonnasusie Sat 13-Jul-19 06:17:00

Applied for mine on Monday. Son took photo(it's horrible) but hopefully ok for passport. Just waiting to hear that they have received the documents and old passport! It was hard to find suitable documents , I just hope the paperwork I sent is ok! We want to go away in September so I hope it doesn't take too long!

Nortsat46 Sat 13-Jul-19 06:28:19

This is an encouraging thread. Often innovation appears to add complication. It's nice to hear several people indicating something which was straightforward and accessible.
Our passport renewals are not due until 2021, but it's good to know the online option is working well for people. ?

travelsafar Sat 13-Jul-19 07:44:27

nonnasusie * Nortsat46* they email you every step of the way,when your application is recieved, when old passport arrives, when your application is being dealt with and when it is on its way to you in the post. you can track everything too.Fantastic service.smile