Gransnet forums

Travel

Cruises my problem

(12 Posts)
jeanie99 Fri 16-Aug-19 02:31:28

I've booked a cruise for next year with an extended trip around it.
Booked my own flights, some were quite complex as I didn't want long delays in airports.
Anyhow
I have just recently had an e-mail to inform me that the disembarkation as been changed and is now four and a half hours away from the original port.
I booked a late afternoon flight which gave me plenty of time to reach the nearest airport about an hour away.
Although Costa the cruise line is putting on coaches to return passengers to the original port they will arrive too late for my flight.
Costa say because I did not book the flights through them or the agent I used they will not pay the fees for the change of route.
I checked this out with Abta who say they can do this.
Costa reason for the change are "Operational reasons" whatever that means.
I have checked with my insurance company and they will not consider a claim unless Costa provide more details on why they have changed the port.
Just something to remember when you are booking your own flights.

Peonyrose Fri 16-Aug-19 08:09:40

I have no experience of Costa Cruises I'm afraid. That's why it is so important that the Cruise Company make all the arrangements, then it's on their shoulders to sort everything out. I wouldn't be happy with the change in arrangements. I do cruise on my own, have to pay more for the peace if mind od easily accessibility from my hone town. I use P and O and Cunard. Unfortunately you have to monitor in now change of flight to perhaps day before plus accommodation, or cancelling and losing deposit and flights. I hope some one comes up with a solution for you.

Izabella Fri 16-Aug-19 09:28:25

The benefit of hindsight! However, even your original schedule is over optimistic. I would never go straight from plane to ship. Always worth booking into a hotel a day early leaving room for general travelling calamities.

My only suggestion would be to pay to change your flights and get a reputable agent to help you. Good luck

jeanie99 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:35:35

I will of course pay the fees to change our flight home from Venice.
However I did believe naively that a disembarkation city of your contracted itinerary was something which couldn't be changed.
Just wanted to warn others of the terms and conditions of cruise ships.
Thanks for your comments.

M0nica Fri 16-Aug-19 11:41:49

Never believe that any detail of any holiday cannot be changed ever, by tour/boat/plane operator.

I learned that very young. We booked a holiday in Majorca, quiet hotel, no night life, near the beach with flights that were ideal for two small children and an elderly man with Parkinsons.

By the time we got there, the operator had changed, the hotel (further back from the sea), it had a big function room room with events every night and our day time flights became early hours of the morning flights.

jeanie99 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:49:32

Oh M0nica how terrible, my issue is nothing compared to that.
Were you given compensation?

M0nica Fri 16-Aug-19 15:15:35

No, it was before compensation. However we did not let it spoil our holiday and we had a very enjoyable time.

I feel sure that you will a lovely holday as well, just remember that tour operators plans are writ in sand!!

GillT57 Fri 16-Aug-19 15:20:38

It is probably because it is Venice as there is soon to be serious limits on how many/what size of cruise ships are able to enter. I think you will find that Costa have to dock elsewhere and bus into central Venice. It should be fairly easy to change your flights though, hopefully all will be well. Out of interest, why did you do the trip as cruise only and booking your own flights? We have always found that cruise lines can negotiate far better flight costs than we can.

B9exchange Fri 16-Aug-19 15:33:17

I imagine the OP wanted to see other places before and after the cruise, so flights two and from the UK not appropriate. You have my sympathies, but it is sensible to arrange at least one overnight stop pre and post cruise to help with any messing about by cruise companies.

I think GillT has hit the nail on the head, Venice doesn't want cruise ships docking there any more, it is more likely that they have told Costa to go elsewhere.

I hope you can change your flights without losing too much, and have a fabulous time!

jura2 Fri 16-Aug-19 15:40:51

How very frustrating - I feel for you, as I am also one who does own booking as far as poss. I've only had one bad experience, flying back from Malta when I was scammed by Malta airlines and treated shockingly. I just dropped it and made the best of the situation- making a mental note never ever to use them again.

Got very cheap flights to Venice (from Malta) and then took the train home to Switzerland - and it was a great trip- we were almost glad we had been treated so badly by Malta airlines.

Although I must say- if it means that Cruise ships will no longer be able to sail ( daft term as they certainly do NOT) - into Venice- I am very very glad.

jeanie99 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:15:42

GillT you have misunderstood we were orinally disembarking in Savona, Costa have changed it to Venice, not the other way round.
I do realise there are problems with disembarking in Venice which makes it so unbelievable.

We are not just cruising I have built a longer trip around the cruise timetable. We are in Egypt first and then staying on an island in the Maldives before sailing from Male to Italy.

I will just change the route, my anoyance is that Costa is not willing as a good will gesture to cover the £70 in fees to change the route.

This will no way spoil this very important trip for us.
We will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. I wanted to put something together covering snorkeling which we love and the areas of the world which hold very special memories for us.
Changing ports of call happens but we have never had the port changed on disembarkation, just something to consider when booking a cruise.

jeanie99 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:20:33

Jura2
Forgot to say I totally agree with you and the residents of Venice that huge cruise ships should not be cruising into Venice.