Gransnet forums

Travel

Anyone been to Vietnam and Cambodia

(24 Posts)
Birdwatcher4 Thu 05-Sep-19 13:54:21

If so what are your thoughts on them as a holiday destination ..

Willow500 Thu 05-Sep-19 14:07:34

Not me but friends are going on a cruise at Christmas that takes in both places.

ginny Thu 05-Sep-19 14:56:22

We were in Vietnam last year. Had a wonderful time. We went with Saga. Plenty to see, good food and hotels. Beautiful scenery and lots of contrasts.
Take note of the climate some times of the year it can be very humid.
We went in January and apart from one day when it was misty the weather was warm and comfortable.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Sep-19 15:02:11

My granddaughter (19) has just come back from back packing in Cambodia and Vietnam she loved them both can’t wait to go back she was amazed at how friendly and helpful everyone was
She said Cambodia is poorer than Vietnam but found them both wonderful obviously she was having a very different holiday to you staying in hostels and eating on the roadside climbing and deep sea diving so maybe not much help

Riverwalk Thu 05-Sep-19 15:10:30

I've been to Siem Reap in Cambodia for three days to visit Ankgor Wat.

The most beautiful country and people, well worth a visit. I'd go again any time.

I know many people who've been to both Cambodia & Vietnam and everybody is very positive.

Birdwatcher4 Thu 05-Sep-19 17:50:07

Thank you all positive reviews did any of you who have been needed to have vaccinations ? think that might put me off

Sussexborn Thu 05-Sep-19 18:31:33

Hep A + tetanus but a lot more if you are going to certain areas presumably off the beaten track. Your surgery might have a travel clinic or there might be one in another local surgery. They can give you up to date information.

SalsaQueen Thu 05-Sep-19 20:22:44

My son had a month in Vietnam in May. He had to have vaccinations a couple of months before that. He started off in Ho Chi Min City and travelled all the way up to the top of Vietnam. His photos were amazing, very beautiful. He loved it, tried lots of different experiences and foods, but said the heat and humidity were awful at that time of year.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Sep-19 20:30:56

Yes you will need vaccinations when I lived in Malaysia I had to have quite a few they might have changed over the years so don’t want to give you wrong advice

SpringyChicken Thu 05-Sep-19 23:06:51

We had a Riviera Travel tour of Vietnam and Cambodia - it was wonderful. We needed one jab from our local surgery - a combined vaccine, can't remember what for now but it was straightforward and no ill effects - given free of charge. We did not need malaria tablets for the places we visited.

Gymstagran Thu 05-Sep-19 23:15:52

I went with Great Rail Journeys to Vietnam and Cambodia last year. Only had to make sure normal uk injections were up to date. It was a fabulous holiday, lovely people,wonderful hotels, beautiful scenery and I enjoyed sampling the local food.

maddyone Thu 05-Sep-19 23:33:13

We went to both Vietnam and Cambodia, but we were on a cruise. I loved both places, Vietnam is much more developed than Cambodia. We ate off ship, the food was lovely. People were very friendly and so much to see. I could happily go back for an overland holiday there. The people really need the tourism as developing nations.

maddyone Thu 05-Sep-19 23:35:41

Re vaccinations, check with your GP. They’ll have all the latest information. Our vaccines were national health provided at the surgery. It’s the usual vaccines, all the British ones plus Hep A, typhus etc.

Tartlet Fri 06-Sep-19 01:15:55

I’d like to go on a river cruise in those countries but worry about whether it will be too hot and/or humid there. How did those who've been find the climate and what month did you go please?

Birdwatcher4 Fri 06-Sep-19 08:49:23

Wow you are so informative thanks next question I am 76 and the people i am planning to travel with all around that age group generally fit.

Can I ask what ages are the Gransnetters who have done this tour Springychicken read your tour sounds brilliant but given our age group would we cope ? have to make a decision soon as they are ready to book the holiday .

mosaicwarts Fri 06-Sep-19 09:00:24

I recommend Riviera Travel too, Steve and I went to India with them and everything is planned down to the minutest detail. Tour guide was fantastic, as well as the local guide who accompanied us. Very mixed age group from 14-82.
Dorothy was 82, and her brother Philip was 80 - both had sticks - they were able to participate in everything but the Yak ride.

I've not been to Vietnam/Cambodia but my daughter has just returned from a three month tour, she thought it was absolutely beautiful, both country and people. Her best experience was a guided tour on a motorbike. She was riding pillion behind the tour guide. Not for me, much rather see it from an air conditioned coach!

maddyone Fri 06-Sep-19 09:50:17

I should have thought that at 76 you’ll cope with an overland tour, however if you prefer something easier, the cruise is great. It called at four separate ports in Vietnam, so you will see quite a lot, but obviously overland you’d see more. There was only one port in Cambodia which meant we didn’t see as much, and what we did was the poverty, it’s much more evident than in Vietnam. Hope that’s helpful.

maddyone Fri 06-Sep-19 09:51:37

We also saw Hong Kong, Thailand (three ports) and Singapore. So overall you’ll see a lot.

SpringyChicken Fri 06-Sep-19 10:23:32

Birdwatcher4, I am 64, husband is 68. Lots of people older than us on the trip. Ours included three or four internal flights, avoiding excessively long coach trips. Even so, this holiday is tiring, several early morning starts but you have to accept that if you want to see the countries. Riviera provided a rep who was with throughout the tour plus local guides each day.
We went in February, landed in Hanoi where it was cool and wet. Much warmer further south. All the accommodation was excellent, the hotel in Siem Reap was fabulous.

Birdwatcher4 Sun 08-Sep-19 16:04:13

Thank you all so helpful will let you when we have booked .

tidyskatemum Sun 08-Sep-19 16:18:02

We went to Vietnam and Cambodia with Riviera - loved both countries but wouldn’t use Riviera again. It was a big group and you wasted so much time hanging around waiting for people to come out of the loo etc it drove us mad. Cambodia has the most smiley people in the world but is quite poor while Vietnam is more sophisticated and has great food. I’m getting itchy feet just thinking about them........

johnwilson Wed 11-Sep-19 03:34:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

oldgimmer1 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:01:05

Went to Vietnam years ago before it became touristy.

I loved it. It was exactly as if the Americans had just left! Only Ho Chi Min City though: no travelling to other parts.

Humid . Nice people. Interesting.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Sep-19 09:43:00

Me! Loved both. Angkor Wat is phenomenal (and there are various other temples round there too). The food in both is amazing and very reasonable. We did a cookery course in Vietnam, which was great. I'd go back like a shot