Gransnet forums

Travel

October holiday St Helier Jersey

(14 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Fri 06-Sep-19 11:59:12

Advice and recommendations from GNers would be much appreciated.

Staying in at St Helier
First visit to Jersey.

It would seem that many visitor attractions are seasonal and will be closed when we visit.

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Sep-19 12:09:15

For me there was very little to see there- it took me less than half an hour to inspect the outside of the shops. I hope you have your own transport because it is almost non-existent there.

My ex was working there and I was popping over for a long weekend when he was not coming home.

Davidhs Fri 06-Sep-19 12:46:50

Jersey is a nice place to visit but in October options are going to be limited and weather unpredictable. I’m sure you could use public transport to tour the island but hiring a car would be much more convenient. Roads around the island are quite steep so for walking or cycling you need to be fit.

Ellianne Fri 06-Sep-19 12:59:07

We like Gorey, not far from St. Helier. The castle there is small but has lovely views and there are a few good restaurants and tea rooms. The pottery has now moved from Gorey to St. Helier and is worth a visit if you like decorated kitchenware.
There's a lot of history about World War 2 but the best museum for us is on Guernsey if you take a trip to other islands.
Jersey is a relaxing break, but I think you will "do it all" in 3 days.

Cherrytree59 Fri 06-Sep-19 16:25:05

Thank you all for your imput.smile

Although we are flying out, we have booked through a local (to us) coach company.

They provide pick ups to and from airport and also a full one day trip around the island.

Discounting 2 days for traveling and the day trip, we will only have three days. smile

We have already earmarked the World War 2 tunnels etc.

Ellieanne Apparently there is a bus stop near hotel, so will visit Gorey to check out the Castle and tea rooms.
(Or may hire a car)

I would also be interested in the pottery.
Although as we are traveling by air, we obviously have a weight limitsad.

Looking forward to peaceful break after a full on summer.

EllanVannin Fri 06-Sep-19 17:05:41

I've been to Jersey a few times and have enjoyed it.
You must visit the glass church. It just looks ordinary from the outside but you'll find some lovely designs by Lalique inside. There are 4 angels inside which were made by him.

The area is in St Aubin, one of my favourite spots on the island, with Elizabeth castle being my second favourite.

I also visited the pottery factory when I was there.

Cherrytree59 Fri 06-Sep-19 17:18:12

Thank you elannvannin DH has just mentioned the glass church and added it to the list.
Will also add Elizabeth Castle Ring to the list?

M0nica Fri 06-Sep-19 17:31:48

I made a day trip to St Helier from France. My advice is if in Jersey avoid St Helier. It is offshore Canary Wharf, nothing but shiny bank blocks and suited and booted bankers (female and male). The shops are all high price designer brands. I have never seen so many jewellry shops. Few restaurants, all expensive and the museums all have big boards outside listing all the banks donating to them - and then they charge £10+ for entry.

We did get a road train round the bay from St Helier, to St Aubin and the view changed. It was pleasant and relaxed.. Unfortunately as day trippers we did not have a car to travel any further, other than St Helier and the bay.

However the message I got was that now the bankers are bringing in the bucks those in charge in Jersey really cannot be bothered with tourists.

Ellianne Fri 06-Sep-19 17:33:04

Cherrytree lovely views as you fly over the islands so get a window seat if possible. Sometimes flights get delayed by fog.
Enjoy your break.

trisher Fri 06-Sep-19 17:37:57

Bus services in Jersey are excelent in the summer (I was there in July ) but may be cut down out of season. It's £2 for a single journey anywhere (great airport service) and you can buy a day ticket for £8 which you can use as many times as you wish. St Brelade's Bay is very pretty. Samares Manor has lovely gardens and you can do a house tour if you want (it costs more). There's a cafe there as well, bus from St Helier stops outside. There is a large bus station and tourist information centre in St Helier and they are very helpful. I loved Jersey, the people were very friendly and helpful, but it is quite expensive.

leyla Fri 06-Sep-19 17:40:48

It's really nice. You can also take a ferry over to Sark or Guernsey - Sark is lovely, haven't been to Guernsey but friends say it's fab. I am sure you will enjoy but yes a car would probably help.

rosie1959 Fri 06-Sep-19 18:05:54

We visit Jersey every year in the summer for around 2 weeks
We take our car on the ferry because it suits us better but we very rarely use it Jersey has an excellent public transport system buses are cheap and usually on time Use your contactless card for the best value
Lots of shopping especially if you like to look around different shops can recommend Voisins and de Gruchys in the high Street
The war tunnels are well worth a visit
I find Jersey more of a summer location Infact the hotel we use is closed from October to April but it will give you a taste of what Jersey has to offer

DanniRae Fri 06-Sep-19 18:12:48

My advice is to go to Jersey Zoo. We love it there. especially the gorillas. There is a pleasant cafe too.
Enjoy your trip - I love going to Jersey smile

johnwilson Wed 11-Sep-19 03:51:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.