Gransnet forums

Travel

Advice about clothes

(10 Posts)
Luckylegs Fri 13-Sep-19 16:07:22

I tried this post on the thread about packing but got no replies so I’m trying on a fresh thread. We are celebrating our 50th anniversary with a special holiday. It consists of two nights in Singapore, two nights in Auckland, 12 nights on a cruise around NZ, Tasmania then 2 nights in Sydney in November. I think we should be receiving advice about special nights on the ship but any advice about the rest? It will be spring in NZ so presumably not very hot. Is it hot in Singapore? Should we pack a small bag for the run up to the cruise and then the after cruise nights do you think? I’m beginning to get excited about this once in a lifetime holiday but a bit concerned about the clothes. My husband will just wear a shirt and trousers which covers every eventuality, it seems!

Missfoodlove Fri 13-Sep-19 18:23:58

Hi there, don’t worry too much about different climes, a pashmina can sort that! Or a nice quality cardigan.
Look at leggings/jeggjngs or Capri pants and loose linen type tops, these are great for travel and pack easily.
For evenings these silk tops or similar from Guinea are beautiful, they are one size and just slip on no buttons etc. They come in ivory or black and will dress up trousers for the less formal nights on board.
Have some nice loafers for walking, ballet pumps for casual and some heels for evening.

Ngaio1 Fri 13-Sep-19 18:29:24

Singapore is beautiful but so humid!! Allow for three changes in a day to be comfy. Gala nights on the ship are fun. In 12 nights you may have 2 formal and 2 less formal. I pack different dresses or use the same 2 - 3 with a different evening bag to look as though my wardrobe is more extensive than it is! Enjoy!!

M0nica Fri 13-Sep-19 19:15:47

Singapore is hot all year round. November and December are the wettest months.

Luckylegs Sat 14-Sep-19 13:21:16

Thanks for replying. Oh dear, the wettest months, lovely! I particularly want to go to Singapore to go to Raffles and have the whole experience. Would anyone advise a small case for the journey so we don’t have to open the big case?

Jane10 Sat 14-Sep-19 14:26:24

Not all ships have formal nights. On our last cruise it was all informal and comfortable. Phew!

Luckylegs Sat 14-Sep-19 14:41:12

I’ve never been on a cruise before and I assume we will get some notification about dress for evenings etc. I’m looking forward to the dressing up tbh. But I hope there’s not a fancy dress night. I assume it’s shorts, t shirts, cut offs, sandals etc in the day as on a normal holiday? I really haven’t a clue.

Jane10 Sat 14-Sep-19 15:49:20

We used to go on cruises that had formal nights so I've got a wardrobe full of things I'll never wear again.
I'm so glad that the cruise line we now prefer does not require formal dress so no need for dinner jackets and long dresses etc.
BTW ships have laundries so you could do some washing or have it done for you. That could save some packing/suitcase space.

grannyqueenie Sun 15-Sep-19 22:57:28

What a lovely holiday to look forward to, luckylegs! We did a similar trip to Singapore then NZ in November a few years back, though didn’t cruise but drove around NZ. Yes indeed Singapore was humid but we didn't find it too unmanageable, especially as the air conditioning in public places was so good. Raffles was a real treat to visit, as were the Botanical Gardens.

It was cloudy and also nippy at times in NZ, just looked at my photos and can see I wore a light fleece, a windproof rain jacket and short sleeved tops at various times, So it obviously wasn't cold or wet all the time and there are photos showing very blue skies too.

Relax and enjoy every moment of it, I’d love to do it all again!

Luckylegs Mon 16-Sep-19 12:19:41

Thank you for your lovely post and it’s helpful in terms of the clothing worry. I am so looking forward to it!