Gransnet forums

Travel

Any other solo Gransnetter motorhomer?

(22 Posts)
Smurf52 Sat 14-Sep-19 12:08:36

After a nightmare 2018 losing my beloved youngest son to suicide aged 25, my lovely daughter in law to breast cancer and a good friend who died in his sleep, I decided life’s too short not to do something on my bucket list, so I’ve decided to ditch the antidepressants and lounging around watching daytime true crime programmes (can you believe i have repetitive strain injury on my wrist due to repeatedly fast forwarding through ads!!) since I retired 2 years ago and have bought a motor home smile.
I have happy memories touring with my ex in our caravan. I decided on a Moho as probably the best option being in my late sixties.
I have driven an automatic car for 25 years and was worried about using manual gears in what is basically a Ford Transit chassis.
I collected it on Monday and in order to check it out, stayed for a couple of days on the campsite where I am going to store it to give it a check over.
The smell of burning rubber as I arrived at the site was overwhelming! I can only presume I was possibly riding the clutch too much or something.
A friend who is a seasoned motor home owner stayed too just to put me through my paces. She was a Godsend and made the transition a lot easier.
I am still very nervous driving it on the narrow Fenland roads near the storage site but hopefully I will gain more confidence as time goes by.
I’m several stone overweight so it’s a tight squeeze everywhere inside but hey, what better motivation to go on a diet is there.
Some of you may remember that I was reluctant to move in full time with my partner of 4 years. Well I am finally moving in with him and will now have a bolt hole to escape to as I’m used to it being just me and my dog. Of course partner is free to join me on his holidays as he works full time and I also have him on my insurance.
Most of the time it will be just me and Lulu though. I’m sticking to EHU campsites for now and have a few weekday sites booked this autumn not too far away.
I am also booked on a motorhome manoeuvring course in October and intend to camp all year around hopefully except when snow and icy roads are forecast (here’s hoping for a mild winter smile).
I’m really looking forward to my adventure of touring in the UK.
Are there any other solo motorhomers out there who too have taken the plunge late in life? Would love to compare notes smile.

crazyH Sat 14-Sep-19 12:19:36

What a great adventure ahead of you Smurf. Wish I was brave as you. Even going to the city centre is an ordeal for me. Enjoy this new phase of your life. All the best and stay safe !!

Katyj Sat 14-Sep-19 13:27:38

Smurf. Your a breath of fresh air on here, not to mention inspirational.Always fancied motorhoming, but never got round to it, not yet anyway,still have a few years left to work yet unfortunately.Hope you get someone to chat to on here.Have a fab time, I'm sure you will.

MissAdventure Sat 14-Sep-19 13:36:39

Brilliant!
I love watching YouTube videos about full time van dwellers, and tiny homes.

I hope you'll keep us up to speed with your adventures. smile

Ilovecheese Sat 14-Sep-19 13:39:18

A very inspirational thread. I wish you the best of luck on your adventures.

Auntieflo Sat 14-Sep-19 13:41:32

Oh how lovely. Well done you.
I am not a MotorHomer, but would have liked to have been. Our DD and SIL have one and use it at every opportunity. They are away at the moment, celebrating 33 years of marriage.
Enjoy your many future trips.

Oopsminty Sat 14-Sep-19 13:50:50

Fabulous! Happy travels!

SirChenjin Sat 14-Sep-19 13:53:17

What an amazing, awe inspiring post! Have you thought of writing a blog? If you do then I - and I bet many others - would love to read it. You write very well and it would be a success, I’m sure. I wish you all the very best of luck with your fantastic adventure smile thanks

Jane10 Sat 14-Sep-19 14:17:48

Gosh. The only solo motor homer I know I'd Mary from Coronation Street! I'm sure you're nothing like her though. Good luck with it all.

Septimia Sat 14-Sep-19 14:57:11

Well done, Smurf !!

We've just bought a small motorhome, to be collected in a few days. It's years since we had one and I'm a bit nervous of driving it as DH does most of the driving and I navigate.

Told a friend, who immediately expressed an interest in one, for solo travel, and have another, single, friend who had one until a few years ago. I also know of a lady who lives in one - and it's not even a proper conversion. She moves around the country.
Maybe we'll meet up on a campsite somewhere! Hope you have lots of good times with it.

Cherrytree59 Sat 14-Sep-19 15:39:06

Smurf well done you!

Agree a blog would be great.

??I'm Smurfing along, in my campervan, just me and my dawg??

Ps, has your motorhome got a name yet?

Day6 Sat 14-Sep-19 15:59:45

Smurf did you see that lovely documentary about caravanning on BBC (4?) a few years ago? One lady took her children all over the world, towing her van, and still did it alone once the children had grown and she was getting on. She was inspirational, as are you!

I'd love a motor home but OH moans about ever-increasing traffic, jams, and costs. If I came into any money I think I'd be tempted to buy one, and enjoy the simple life away from cities, etc.

I am sure you'll be fine once you have done one or two trips alone. Wishing you (and Lulu) lots of adventures and fun.

petra Sat 14-Sep-19 18:46:44

Smurf
Well done you.
I've come across a few single female motohomers in the uk, but I've met more in France and Spain. Most of those are in their 70s.
If you can manage the Fenland roads you could do Spain: it's not nearly as daunting as you think.
Leave in November and come back in April ?

Smurf52 Sun 15-Sep-19 20:53:33

Thanks all for your positivity! A blog....hmmm.....what a good idea. Will keep you all posted on my adventures.

bikergran Sun 15-Sep-19 22:12:58

Great! good for you....I am jealous and if funds would allow I would be joining you (not physically lol)

Would love to have a little camper van...smile good luck .

annodomini Sun 15-Sep-19 23:26:02

A motorhome and a dog! I really fancied that lifestyle when I retired. Then life intervened and the grandchildren arrived on the scene. I had a couple of joints replaced and then came down with Polymyalgia. Oh well, it was a nice dream. I wish you well in your adventures, Smurf. It will be so much fun, seeing new places and meeting new people.

ginny Mon 16-Sep-19 10:44:50

Good for you smurf52. Not camper van but DD2 has a towing caravan that she travel with on her own. She says people often seem surprised she does it in her own . She loves it.

Razzy Mon 16-Sep-19 13:39:12

Join Women with Campervans facebook group. They are very friendly, lots of advice, and sometimes arrange meet ups. All ages!

Namsnanny Mon 16-Sep-19 16:43:54

smurf52 I’m very glad you posted and as others have said I hope you keep us updated on your trips!
Good luck ? and bon voyage ?

petra Mon 16-Sep-19 16:55:09

I've found that the ladies on their own are very well supported by the male Motohomers.
I know my OH does. Gas cylinders etc. Fixing things, engine trouble, telly reception he's your man ?

gallusquine Tue 17-Sep-19 14:01:25

Smurf52 - If you live in Scotland, or fancy visiting, you might like to join Lassies with Campervans Scotland on FB. Most are solo campervanners, at least some of the time. some are self builders and most have a good knowledge of mechanical problems you might encounter. Good tips too on places to overnight and personal safety when solo. Its a great life, happy travels !

Amagran Tue 17-Sep-19 14:07:34

Fabulous! Good luck, Smurf52 - I am very envious!