Gransnet forums

Travel

Retired at 55; ladies only travel

(13 Posts)
RetiredTravel Sat 14-Sep-19 20:19:18

Happily married with a husband who is content at home; apparently not that unusual!
I'd welcome thoughts from other ladies who want to walk sections of Long Distance Paths like the South Downs Way or Cotswolds Way. Has anyone joined holiday groups?..
Many I know are still working full time or have grandparent duties or don't have the finances for accommodation. I'm quite a confident traveller but it's far nicer to share these experiences.

Grannynise Sat 14-Sep-19 21:26:16

Have you looked at HF walking holidays? The groups tend to be a mixture of couples and singles, very friendly.

RetiredTravel Sun 15-Sep-19 07:24:50

No never heard of them so will have a look. Thanks

Camellia20 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:39:28

Am in a very similar situation. I went on a fantastic HF walking holiday to Austria this year.

RetiredTravel Fri 20-Sep-19 00:04:02

Just had a look at HF Holidays ; I always think good sign which I see 'Which'.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 20-Sep-19 00:33:19

Yes, Mr B and myself always wanted to go to different places for our holidays. So he would have his 2 or 3 weeks trekking in Iceland and I would go to Turkey walking. I use to use Explore or Exodus and found them excellent with small friendly groups.

LondonMzFitz Mon 23-Sep-19 13:45:11

I'm about to embark on my 5th trip with a Meetup group, they have lots of solo travel groups on Meetup, and I've travelled with confidence with them to Bulgaria, Latvia - tomorrow is Albania! Italy next month. Mostly women. Just You has some good places to go but are more expensive.

45+ Not Grumpy is a favourite, London based.

Tangerine Mon 23-Sep-19 14:13:10

Does it really have to be "Ladies only"?

Companies like Just You and Solo might have a solution for you. They do walking holidays in UK and in other countries for single people but you couldn't guarantee there would be no men present.

Explore and Exodus or HF good but I'm not sure if they do singles holidays.

shysal Mon 23-Sep-19 14:24:47

I am another who would recommend HF holidays. They have singles holidays, as well as general on which there are always singles and couples or groups, including a high percentage of 'women of a certain age'. As well as walking they do special interest breaks too. The prices appear high, but you don't need to spend anything extra. The packed lunches are spectacular!

humptydumpty Mon 23-Sep-19 14:49:08

I see HF also do combined walking/special interets holidays with cooking or bridge - sounds great to me, will investigate!

Nellie098 Mon 23-Sep-19 14:50:15

I've been looking at a site called Singles 101 Holidays and there are some ideas on there that may be of interest, especially as you enjoy walking. Don't forget to check out Silvertraveladvisor.

Nellie098 Mon 23-Sep-19 16:02:05

Sorry got the holiday site round the wrong way, should be 101 Singles Holidays.

RetiredTravel Sat 28-Sep-19 19:58:04

Thanks for all the thoughts; much appreciated.
Nellie I'll look at the sites you mention.