Gransnet forums

Travel

Thomas Cook

(16 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 23-Sep-19 09:03:40

Anyone else on here got a holiday booked for next year with TC. If so do you know if we have to do anything or will our money be refunded automatically to us??? I'm guessing there is no point in trying to ring them today as not sure if the shops will even be open and if they are they will be very busy answering the phones and dealing with people face to face.

gillybob Mon 23-Sep-19 09:08:51

My DS, DDiL and their 3 children were booked for a long anticipated holiday this October half term. The children will be gutted as I am gutted for them . Their little fancy cossies , shorts and summer dresses all wasted . sad

growstuff Mon 23-Sep-19 09:11:49

Martin Lewis (MoneySavingExpert) has some info which might be helpful.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/thomas-cook-seeking-p200m-extra-funding-/

vena11 Mon 23-Sep-19 09:24:32

Yes I am booked for October ,I think they said on the news this morning information on refunds will be given out next week if you have an Atol certificate but no doubt it will take months to get a refund .

Splug Mon 23-Sep-19 10:29:37

The website they have set up is pretty informative:

thomascook.caa.co.uk/

travelsafar Mon 23-Sep-19 20:59:26

Luckily i managed to contact the company who TC booked my holiday with and they are happy to take it over, so all sorted. Hope others are as lucky.

jeanie99 Sat 28-Sep-19 10:41:09

I booked a one way flight only for a trip I've arranged for next year.
I booked by credit card and will receive a full refund within about a month they said.
I just phoned my credit card company as soon as I heard and they were very helpful. Have received an update today by e-mail.
The problem is I've had to pay another £150 to book a flight which is a bit of an annoyance. Of course all the prices are going up because of the failure as companies are taking advantage of the situation people are in.

gillybob Sat 28-Sep-19 11:25:05

I was advised (on behalf of DS) to proceed through the Atol website but they are not accepting claims until after 30th September . My DS and DDiL have spent over £3000 on a family holiday . I hope and pray they get it back and the delay is not a way of them trying to find a loophole to avoid paying out . angry

travelsafar Sat 28-Sep-19 11:57:56

oh dear i hope they get things resolved Gillybob.

gillybob Sat 28-Sep-19 13:06:25

Thank you Travelsafar me too. They had saved hard for a very long time for a week in the sun this half term . I’m so disappointed for the children sad

gillybob Mon 07-Oct-19 10:55:37

I have been trying to submit a claim on behalf of my DS, DDiL and the children since first thing this morning. After filling in pages and pages of information this is what you get !

What a heap of crap this is !

paddyann Mon 07-Oct-19 11:07:02

did they pay by card Gillybob its often quicker to get refunds if you have

gillybob Mon 07-Oct-19 11:13:36

No sadly they didn't paddyann they paid in dribs and drabs over the course of quite a long time. Me and the other grandma also paid little bits off for them in the branch too.

I have tried over 10 times already today and it is obvious that whatever crap system they have set up just isn't enough to cope with the amount of claims. Completely rubbish. They know exactly who paid and how much they paid . IMO this is just a way of avoiding paying out .

This might sound totally pathetic but I feel like bursting into tears as I really can't take much more shit !

glammanana Mon 07-Oct-19 11:26:44

Gillybob I hope you manage to get through to them it must be soul destroying for you all I feel so much for the little ones and your children x good cry may make you feel better x

Granny23 Mon 07-Oct-19 11:58:12

* Gillybob* I understand how devastating this must be for the whole family after all the scrimping and saving and build up of excitement. You must be feeling, yet again, "Why Me/Us".

Wish I could wave a magic wand for your family.......

EllanVannin Mon 07-Oct-19 12:34:18

The news was that if anyone had booked a holiday via one of the TC shops it'll be more difficult to tackle because other companies are involved.

Gillybob, I hope that money is refunded. I can only say that TC are a bunch of rotters the way this has been handled. It's absolutely criminal and those bosses should be made to pay.