Gransnet forums

Travel

Taking prescription medicine to the USA

(9 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 13-Nov-19 13:50:39

Oh this is interesting, off to India next year via abu dhabi i will have to look into medications as my sister takes several and i am on gabapentin which apparently is a controlled drug. I never gave it a thought. Thanks for the heads up.

jeanie99 Wed 13-Nov-19 12:50:44

We travel often and my husband takes a Class A drug for his condition.
He has a letter from the GP takes the medication in the original packaging and as never had a problem in any country.

Smileless2012 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:15:04

We've taken prescription drugs to the US on numerous occasions, and provided they're in the original boxes with the details printed, we've never had an issue.

I'd do as Grannygravy has suggested and get a letter from your GP for additional information. We've had to get one for Mr. S. who unfortunately will have to travel to Aus. in January with a catheta; no problem but there was a £20 cost for the letterhmm.

Marydoll Sat 09-Nov-19 13:04:27

Cornergran, after a few tries, I have managed to send the email. I think I was adding an extra character! blush

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. smile

Marydoll Sat 09-Nov-19 09:06:15

Corner, thank you so much for that prescription. I will scan my prescription sheet and and email.

I knew the GN grans would help, many thanks to those who replied. flowers

cornergran Sat 09-Nov-19 08:55:37

When I had similar concerns over Mr C’s medication I emailed the relevant customs department and was quickly reassured. The printed copy of the email proved unnecessary but having it stopped me worrying.

I found this for the US. Might help perhaps marydoll. [email protected].

Hope you can be reassured and relax in advance of your trip.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Nov-19 08:54:09

Check with the American Embassy, I now get a letter from my GP stating that my medications are vital and that I have to keep them in my hand luggage.

We were in the USA 3 years ago, and they did not check "my drug bag".

ninathenana Sat 09-Nov-19 08:45:13

Perhaps contact the airline or American embassy ?

Marydoll Sat 09-Nov-19 08:38:51

I was unsure whether to post under Health or Travel.

I'm off to New York in a few weeks and have started to worry about going through customs, carrying the large amount of prescription drugs (fourteen) I will need for my stay.
I have read the websites, will have my script from my GP and the medication will be in original labelled boxes.
However, one is a controlled drug, Fentanyl and I am unsure if I will have problem at customs with it.

( I need to stop watching all the daytime border force programmes! grin )

Any advice, from you wise grans will be gratefully received.