Gransnet forums

Travel

Xmas holiday dilemma

(33 Posts)
ananimous Wed 11-Dec-19 23:30:07

Should I say something?...
Every year we meet up for a ski-ing holiday with a dozen friends. I'm hosting this year's - and it's a bit awkward, as my best friend- we'll call her: "A" and hubby's best friend: "B" split 2 years ago, and though they are both going with new partners. I know B is still burning a torch for my bestie, and she's not quite over him either, but my hubby says she'll keep her distance, and anyway B's met someone special now, and when B talks of A it's - "She's got an icy soul" and "she tore him apart, never again!" But last year's meet-up was a nightmare. He was all brooding glances at her when we were setting up the decs, and she had worn a piece of past jewelry he'd given her, and kept drawing attention to it all night, giving him longing looks, and him her - then with them both having jealous glances whipping back and forth between them as we prepared the decs, and over the xmas dinner. We all could not help but notice!
I was wondering if it might be a good idea to have a word with one or both of them before going?

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 09:56:46

Mawb - Nothing more annoying than someone who posts before reading the other posts wink

MawB Tue 24-Mar-20 22:15:54

Has this riveting dilemma been resolved yet?

ananimous Tue 24-Mar-20 21:03:47

Remember the good old days...

ananimous Tue 24-Dec-19 23:36:23

Merry Xmas!
tchwink

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwNV7TAWN3M

BlueBelle Tue 24-Dec-19 23:23:25

Well Barbara Cartland comes to mind here ? guess I don’t believe a word of it

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Dec-19 23:32:01

Phew! I've just switched my Kindle on to find my bedtime reading and there's GN still open from this morning with the post I reported. How weird it just disappearing. I've taken out the name of Henry's website to protect us GNers from ourselves. grin

Today 09:41 HenryKelly

Oh, man, you should just stay away from all this drama. Play games with ....................-to-win-real-money/ and don't let your problems bother you. I would do that, instead of going there.

MissAdventure Mon 23-Dec-19 23:01:43

... shakes head sadly and whispers "She's losing it, you know"...

Just joking. I never saw the thread but I've been working and --buying ridiculous amounts of food--shopping today.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Dec-19 22:29:52

Hang on, what's happened to today's HenryKelly post that suggested we might all be better off playing online games for cash on the site he linked to? I didn't imagine it, surely?

Wanders off feeling a little bit spooked.... confused

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Dec-19 10:15:30

Nice try, HenryKelly!

Reported.

absthame Thu 12-Dec-19 17:46:59

It sounds to me that a holiday in frosty snow may be quite appropriate grin grin

TrendyNannie6 Thu 12-Dec-19 16:56:54

Oh nannysprout you did make me laugh,

4allweknow Thu 12-Dec-19 16:52:35

Surely others noticed the atmosphere between A and B. Is it is the same this year then they need to be confronted regarding their behaviour when it occurs. It's not on when holidaying with others. They are acting like children, treat them so

grandtanteJE65 Thu 12-Dec-19 16:05:17

If their behaviour makes you uncomfortable this year, you are justified in telling them so. They will no doubt be offended, but either you have to put up with their behaviour or speak up.

Nannysprout Thu 12-Dec-19 15:13:40

Please feel free to sing along....

? Last Christmas I gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away, this year to save me from tears I’ll give it to someone special ?

Merry Christmas Everyone ?

Squiffy Thu 12-Dec-19 12:54:51

You could try putting each in a different corner? . . . but don't let the sun go down before it's sorted.

ananimous Thu 12-Dec-19 12:37:55

Yes, hubby says if they need a father figure talk he'll do it, and take them both outside for a word, maybe they've turned a different corner now, and hopefully our winter chalet will be nothing short of the edge of heaven, without their careless whispers. Happy Christmas! tchgrin

Paperbackwriter Thu 12-Dec-19 12:09:21

I've been taking notes here. I reckon there's a book in it..

Brownflopsy Thu 12-Dec-19 12:04:54

Hilarious!

jaylucy Thu 12-Dec-19 11:54:53

Well hopefully, the 12 months in between and made them see sense !
Tell me, is friend A the one that arrives with no luggage?

BazingaGranny Thu 12-Dec-19 11:47:26

I’m confused! Are you hosting a ski-ing holiday for 12-14 people, or are you inviting them all to your house for dinner during or after the holiday?

If it’s just dinner, perhaps put up with their behaviour, but if it’s for a whole holiday, perhaps the unhappy ex-couple might be happier elsewhere. If they are both bringing their new plus one, it might be a dramatic time for everyone! ❄️

Squiffy Thu 12-Dec-19 10:21:26

QIrene Spot on! tchwink tchgrin

QuaintIrene Thu 12-Dec-19 09:21:37

Look at it this way..last Christmas B gave A his heart, right ?
I bet it was only the very next day she gave it away. Little minx.
B just wants to give his heart to someone special, save his tears.
You see and hear of this kind of thing every Christmas.

MawB Thu 12-Dec-19 09:14:00

If nothing has happened in the last 12 months, it must be an exceedingly slow-burning flame!
Leave it up to them.

wildswan16 Thu 12-Dec-19 07:40:32

Sounds like a few adults still with typical teenage behaviour. I'm glad I'm not coming.

Why would you all want to spend a holiday together with tensions and drama?

sodapop Thu 12-Dec-19 07:29:47

If A is your best friend then surely you can have a word with her and say their behaviour last year made others uncomfortable.
Otherwise ignore them and enjoy the holiday.