Gransnet forums

Travel

Dog free ( not dogs free) hotels

(82 Posts)
Atqui Tue 31-Dec-19 19:29:30

Can anyone recommend a hotel in UK that doesn’t allow dogs to stay?

notanan2 Sun 12-Jan-20 10:35:37

Beware of no pets allowed air bnbs. The guests arent allowed to bring their pets but that doesnt mean that the hosts dont have pets

SirChenjin Sun 12-Jan-20 09:45:35

I just had a look and yes, No Pets Holiday Cottages is an actual company - which is great to know! Not pets allowed hotels doesn’t seem to link to the major booking sites though to allow you to search across their listings in that way and in fact on Trivago the search term changes automatically to ‘pet friendly hotels’!

Gransthebest Sun 12-Jan-20 00:01:41

Also checked out the Lake district and it came up with over 600 choices.

Gransthebest Sat 11-Jan-20 23:55:39

I just googled no pets allowed hotels uk and No pets holiday cottages and Pet free/self catering holiday cottages came up if you scroll down a wee bit..over 5,000 options came up ?

SirChenjin Wed 08-Jan-20 17:42:09

Nothing from Trip Advisor either but they said 3-5 days so hopefully I’ll hear soon.

jura2 Wed 08-Jan-20 17:40:59

No reply from Booking as yet!

maddyone Sun 05-Jan-20 10:12:37

I think you’re probably right about that SirChenin, they probably do need to register.

SirChenjin Sun 05-Jan-20 09:57:39

My understanding with TripAdvisor is that anyone can post a review of a hotel or other venue but if you want to use the booking function to book a venue then these hotels etc have to register to be on there and provide details of their facilities. I could be wrong though - it’ll be interesting to see what they say in response to my suggestion.

maddyone Sat 04-Jan-20 23:46:12

SirChenin, I think reviewers put hotels on TripAdvisor, but there are many other sites that hotels put themselves on to, Booking.com or Hotels.com are two but there are others. I agree that hotels should provide information about whether dogs are welcomed or not, whether they have special ‘doggie’ rooms etc. People with allergies need this information before they book. Perhaps one of the best ways to find out is from the hotel’s own website, or at least there will be a phone number to ring and enquire.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Jan-20 22:22:16

Surely though they could stipulate that it’s information which needs to be supplied by the hotels in the same way WiFi or a hairdryer or room service etc etc is? There must be fields that hotels have to complete when they’re applying to be on TripAdvisor confused

Daisyboots Sat 04-Jan-20 22:09:19

When you Google it people have been asking Trip Advisor for a filter for no dogs allowed for hotel listings fir a few years but they say they cannot do it as they only work with what is supplied by the hotels.
So it is down to contacting a hotel you are interested in and asking. I would have thought if they allowed dogs it would be in certain rooms grouped together not in all rooms. Just like on some of the ferries from Spain have pet friendly cabins and they are all in a row together. Some of the ferries dont have pet friendly cabins and the dogs can only stay in the kennels on the top deck.

notanan2 Sat 04-Jan-20 10:59:32

Oh if you ever object to any restriction on dogs there will be people who say that means you hate dogs and are wrong to do so.

There are lots of reasons why people who like dogs may not want to share accomodation with strangers dogs:

Someone prone to leg ulcers could have a total break down of their skin which doesnt heal from just one bad flea bite

Allergies as above

Recent OP or fall that makes then nervous on their feet so scared of small dogs around them

PTSD

People on immune supressing drugs need holidays too

MawB Sat 04-Jan-20 08:53:17

gringrin

GreenGran78 Sat 04-Jan-20 00:40:40

I have a dog problem too. My local store has a sign on the escalator which says “dogs must be carried on the escalator.” I don’t own a dog, so I always have to use the stairs!

Tigertooth Fri 03-Jan-20 23:57:27

Yehbutnobut Fri 03-Jan-20 09:02:02
Or get over it!

Get over what exactly? A dog allergy which triggers severe asthma in both me and my 9yr old?
I simply said that I'd love to have a dog but am unfortunately allergic and it's hard to get the 'dog-free' info.
ffs what is your problem? Why so nasty?

demi55 Fri 03-Jan-20 22:53:30

I think some of the replies to a valid question were quite harsh! I love all animals but have high allergic reaction to cats then fairly high one to dogs. The cat allergy means l carry an EpiPen as its that serious so why anyone would suggest OP should "just get over it" seems spiteful as you seem to assume wrongly that not wanting to share a room that a dog has been in is a bad thing when it could be for health reasons or personal preference which we're all entitled to have. At Easter 2019 we went to Polperro and seemed to be only people without a dog and only pub in village had dogs everywhere. We left and made do with a shop that sold Cornish pasties. I wouldn't go again. These quaint rural areas are for dog owners. Good luck hope you find a dog free boutique hotel and have a lovely time.

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 18:57:53

'give us' ...

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 18:55:51

totally agree. Some dog owners five us all a bad name, sadly.

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 18:48:38

I think you’re attitude and behaviour towards both your dog and to members of the public sounds extremely responsible and caring Jura. I wish all dog owners behaved in such a way. I’m sure Gransnetters are very responsible but not everyone is, my experience has been that many dog owners assume that you like dogs and really don’t mind them being near you in a public place or even jumping up at you or your grandchildren. I don’t. I don’t want dogs jumping up at me or my grandchildren, and I don’t appreciate being told ‘he’s only being friendly.’

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 18:01:23

a) it was not me who said this

b) this is NOT our personal experience at all

c) even in places where dogs are allowed, we are always very careful, clean paws, etc, never allow on seats or feed at table- and always ask if anyone comes and sits by us or if we sit somewhere- if that is ok, and move if we can see person/s is not happy. We always sit in discreet corner and bring a clean blanket or small dogbed- and dog will settle and not make a single move or noise.

I agree you should have the choice, and have said it several times on this thread.

We always left our other dogs at home, with a friend or in kennels. Our current dog was adopted after a long running saga- aged 13. She cannot be left at home when we go on hols nor can she go in kennels or to friends- as she has suffered trauma and would cry or howl like a woolf. We can leave her at home for a couple of hours, and she will not disturb anyone if she howls... In our flat in the UK, we could NOT as it would create problems for neighbours. On a few occasions we went to friends who don't like or want dogs, or in restaurants where they are not allowed, we will leave her in the car, and will take it in turn to take her out a couple of times.

I agree you should have the choice.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 17:52:04

But * Jura* you did say No dogs are allowed in restaurants anyway which is why I answered as it just isn’t true
It does seem to be a growing trend and the hotel we stayed in didn’t advertise itself as a dog friendly hotel and we never thought to ask as we had never come across it when we stayed there before (it is a chain by the way) and now dogs are allowed more in shops too our charity shop has been told we have to let dogs in although they were never allowed before
I don’t understand why suddenly no one can leave their dog comfortably sleeping at home
Please don’t think I’m a dog hater I m definitely not I just don’t want them around me

Atqui Fri 03-Jan-20 17:50:26

Thanks proactive people!!

millymouge Fri 03-Jan-20 17:44:33

We recently spent a couple of nights in a Travelodge. We went to a Travelodge because they accept pets for a small charge and we have two greyhounds. I assumed that they would have special rooms for dogs only but were put in a very nice room on the second floor, obviously not one kept only for dog owners. I did wonder what would happen if someone with an allergy went in after us. There were actually several people with dogs staying.

lolarabbit Fri 03-Jan-20 17:43:05

Yes I agree and let's hope the booking companies do something but in meantime...
Sorry if I have posted similar message twice, for some reason my messages are not showing up on my pad!

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:33:18

Good Sir C- let's see what they come up with.

lolarabbit - ok, but really, it should be much easier. If it is possible to search for 'dogs allowed' it should be just as easy to search for 'dogs NOT allowed'. Fair is fair.