Gransnet forums

Travel

WARNING never book with Ryanair

(22 Posts)
jeanie99 Wed 08-Jan-20 16:49:42

We have traveled with RA several times without any problem BUT we have never had to contact then with a problem.
Through no fault of ours we had to change a flight already booked.
We were surprised to see on their website that a change of flight was possible.
I was told I could make a change at a cost of 35 Euro per person by two different individuals on different days.
Before I did the change I did the costing for a new flight on the Ryanair website to compare the difference.
Same flight, same day, different city and it came out less than the original at 115 Euro for the two of us.
I knew I wouldn't get a refund for the difference and would be paying the 70 Euros, fare enough.
I had paid 125 Euro for the two of us, so total cost I estimated at 195 Euro.
I did the costing on-line it came out at 258 Euro so I rang customer services before I did the change asking why this amount was showing. The person I spoke with explained that there was always errors when changes take place and not to worry I will receive a refund he said it was always happening.
Since then I have been informed after many e-mail that no there will be no refund.
RA do not transfer services like, priority booking, suit cases, seat costs, flight cost etc.
They in fact book a completely new booking at a higher price and add on the change of flight fee.
It would have been less expensive to us to just book another flight.
I personally think this is fraud because they are not providing all the information to customers for them to make a chose. Certainly their own staff cannot be aware of this surely.

Missfoodlove Wed 08-Jan-20 17:10:03

Sadly this is where they make their money.
I use them frequently and check, double check and check again before pressing the button.
I am always aware that I may have to relinquish the flight.
Sorry you’ve been stung.

Riverwalk Wed 08-Jan-20 17:27:19

Eight years ago I booked a RA flight to France to visit a friend and then couldn't go. I didn't expect a refund.

A friend wanted to get on the same flight but it was fully booked. There was no way on the RA website where I could cancel my booking or even tell them I wouldn't be taking the flight so it would free up a seat.

I did try to phone, to no avail.

I also tried to reclaim the tax, which was my right, but my many attempts were ignored - in the end I gave up and vowed never to book with them again.

Compare that to Swissair - I cancelled a non-refundable flight and without asking the tax, half the cost, was returned to my bank account without my even asking!

jura2 Wed 08-Jan-20 17:37:09

We had a similar problem with Air Malta. I got so fed up in the end, I got an EasyJet flight for the return to Venice and then returned by train. It cost me more in the end- but at least they didn't get a penny more from me sad never again. We didn't tell them we would not use the return, so they could not re-sell it.

Nandalot Wed 08-Jan-20 18:04:17

I made an expensive mistake with Ryanair. After a difficult search for the right flights for 5 of our family from Spain, I entered all the details and confirmed. As I did so I realised immediately I had missed out the second part of our youngest DGS surname. It was literally seconds but cost me over £200 for a change of booking!

nonnasusie Wed 08-Jan-20 18:42:04

We had problems with RA last Christmas when my DH was rushed to hospital on Christmas Eve and had an emergency operation on Christmas Day. We couldn't change the return flights and had to rebook despite a letter from the hospital stating he wasn't fit to fly
We did get €9 airport tax back!!

Cherrytree59 Wed 08-Jan-20 18:58:39

Budget airline definitely no frills!
Heard so many horror stories but unfortunately we cannot avoid using Ryanair, it's the only airline flying to our destination, when we wish to travel.

I have booked the same way as last year.
Less than £50 return pp

Last year we thankfully had no delays and arrived on time both ways

? for this year.

EllaKeat Wed 08-Jan-20 19:28:51

I might be out of line here, but I have avoided Ryanair for years, have used easyJet, but think the sun shines our of Jet2.coms bum?

Have used them 9 times now without any hassle at all. Needed to amend name the second time, with no drama. Flights pleasant and on time. Checked in suitcase included.

Highly recommended

GagaJo Wed 08-Jan-20 20:45:17

I flew Ryan Air once. Never again. Plastic seats. Herded like cattle. Ridiculous prices for drinks etc. I may travel cattle class but I don't expect to be treated like an animal.

Mrst1405 Wed 08-Jan-20 21:56:51

You get what you pay for. RA is fine and I've used it many times, but don't expect Emerits service. Its cheap and cheerful for a reason. You can arrive at the last minute, as long as you get on the end of the queue, your on. But don't try changing or dying. They wouldn't refund a flight for my dead step son.

Scribbles Wed 08-Jan-20 22:04:25

I've never flown with RA because I know so many people who've been ripped off by them and/or suffered deplorable service. As far as I'm concerned, if Ryan Air is the only way to get somewhere, then I won't go.

Hetty58 Wed 08-Jan-20 22:22:34

It's a budget airline. You 'pays your money and you takes your choice'.

They make a profit by tripping you up and it's probably all there somewhere in the small print.

The quality of service is like a market stall compared to, maybe, John Lewis for a proper airline!

BlueBelle Wed 08-Jan-20 22:44:13

Missfoodlove I m like you I use them fairly regularly but I go over everything with a tooth comb as it’s a complex website with all the extras and adverts flashing around
Gagajo that’s a huge exaggeration Ryanair is just as comfy as any other cheap budget airline you get what you pay for If I can visit my grandkids for £20 each way I don’t care if I sit on a kitchen chair my journeys only an hour plus
nandalot If you change the name within 24 hours it’s free of charge I know because I did it too last year, somehow manage to get my daughters Christian name initial tagged on the end of her surname it was free first 24 hours of mistake but we didn’t realise until the email came through so missed that deadline and it was going to be £175 BUT here’s a tip if it’s only one letter you don’t need to change it so we managed free of charge after all
cherrytree I m like you it’s the main airline where I go and about ten years ago it was awful for delays and cancellations but the last few years I ve had no trouble at all all the flights have been on time or within minutes and the staff are all polite I can’t really run it down but then I don’t go for frills and always squash everything in a cabin case (amazing what you can get in one) so cut down on that price, plus a backpack

JackyB Thu 09-Jan-20 10:29:11

I always use Ryanair because they are the only airline that fly the most convenient route for my frequent trips to the UK.

I have never had any problems, and I use them several times a year.

The only time it cost me was in a situation similar to the OP, I wanted to change my flight date, which worked out far more expensive than just letting the original flight go without me and booking the alternative date anew.

I am very happy to pay for extras as that means that if I don't want them, I'm not paying for everybody else's.

For example, I didn't eat or drink anything on a long haul flight from San Francisco once, because I had a very bad tummy upset, but the flight still cost the same as if I had eaten all the meals provided.

Grannyhall29 Thu 09-Jan-20 12:00:05

My Son and his mates used them a couple of years ago, when they travelled RA was having a lot of trouble with enough pilots, the return journey was cancelled a few hours before the lads flight due to "the weather" even though other airlines were all flying ( yes there was some thunderstorms around), they were offered a flight home 3 days later which was no good as they had to be back for work and there was no mention of any accommodation for those extra nights, there was no mention of putting them on a different airline (which I believe they are meant to offer) anyway they did manage to get flights home through Lufthansa but with a change in Germany, Lufthansa actually put a special flight on to Germany from Krakow (where they were holidaying) to get passengers home to the UK, so why couldn't RA fly due to bad weather when others did, they applied for compensation when they got home as this other flight cost more than the actual holiday, but RA refused saying they had offered an alternative, needless to say when they went away last year they used a different airline

sodapop Thu 09-Jan-20 12:19:25

I have had problems with Ryanair as well. Unfortunately they have a monopoly from my nearest airport to UK.

NannyJan53 Fri 10-Jan-20 18:09:17

Always use Jet2 now whenever possible. Never any queues when checking in as always lots of staff. Prices are comparable with RA and customer service is excellent!

Esspee Fri 10-Jan-20 20:14:55

Go onto YouTube and search for Fascinating Aida’s rendition of their song Cheap Flights which is clearly about Ryanair.
It’s priceless! Especially the last line.

GagaJo Fri 10-Jan-20 20:20:10

Bluebell, nope, sorry. I happily fly EasyJet or Jet2. Ryan Air are low quality.

I guess if it's a means to an end and you don't mind the crush and the risk of being ripped off, they are cheap. But I can't do it. Each to their own.

jura2 Fri 10-Jan-20 20:27:07

I feel the same, because I have a choice. Brits living in some parts of France really only have RyanAir- and will probably prefer to fly from local airport.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Jan-20 20:30:12

No I don’t mind at all Gagajo if it’s a short flight and I can get it for £20 (I got one last year for £5 each way) I m more than happy It costs me a lot more than that on the 3 Trains to get me to the airport I don’t get ripped off because I hunt for the right flights and don’t pay for any extras

clementine Fri 17-Jan-20 17:25:58

Ryanair use the same jets as other rival airlines, just different livery so in that respect they are no different . Even more important their safety recored is good and they almost always get you to your destination on time .

You just have to play them at their own game, check double check then triple check before hitting the button. They are cheap and cheerful and do the job.

Just be aware if you decide to be a "no show" ie cancelling a flight , and it's a return journey, you can't book a one way in the hope of using the original return . They will cancel both . Happened to someone we know. It was cheaper rebook rather than pay the adjustment fees, but they they discovered they couldn't check in for the return flight as they hadn't turned up for the first one ! They then had to book another .