Gransnet forums

Travel

Passport renewal

(17 Posts)
Nata Thu 13-Feb-20 08:52:25

I need to renew my passport and I wonder if I can apply online for that? Well, I know I can but the only thing is what should I do with the photo? Just to scan it and that's it?

travelsafar Thu 13-Feb-20 08:57:20

Just follow the instruction when applying on line. I did it last year and was surprised how easy it all was. Plus they send you emails to update you about what is happening and when to expect delivery of passport. Wonderful service in my opinion.

M0nica Thu 13-Feb-20 09:10:18

Don't worry. Go to somewhere like Timpsons - and other places, I am sure other posters will name them. Timpsons take the photo and send it automatically to the passport office, then give you a number to type into the online form.

I replaced my passport last year and it was an absolute doddle, apart from getting the photo taken, which I did when doing my weekly shop, it took about 10 minutes. I have had a passport since I was 15 and it has never been so easy

One word of warning make absolutely sure you are directly through to the Passport Office (the web address should end .gov. There are a number of commercial sites around with very similar names, their aim is to get you to use their site and then charge you an 'agency' fee on top of the PO fee for acting as your agent to make your application. However their sites address will not end .gov.

Hetty58 Thu 13-Feb-20 09:12:40

Good point M0nica - it's quite expensive enough as it is!

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Feb-20 09:20:55

We renewed ours on line and it was quite straightforward. As MOnica says make sure its the .gov site.

The only problem we had was, as the nearest photo booth was quite distant, we decided to use the option of taking our own photo. Found a nice blank wall with (we thought) good even light but it kept being rejected due to being the wrong size/slight shadow/too dark/too light. Otherwise quite easy!

tanith Thu 13-Feb-20 09:30:16

They do passport photos in Tesco and as others say, they give you the code to put into the passport office site

dragonfly46 Thu 13-Feb-20 09:40:50

We did ours recently and I think we uploaded a picture. I know I didn't got to a photo booth. It could be my DH took it. I know for my driving licence they used the one I had used for my passport.

DoraMarr Thu 13-Feb-20 10:16:58

I did mine online and had it back within a week! Yes, Timpsons and High St photographers can do it for you. I still look like a serial killer, though.

Teacheranne Thu 13-Feb-20 10:25:01

I renewed mine a few weeks ago, it was really easy and cheaper than using a paper form. I had a photo which I'd taken myself for my Blue Badge but wasn't sure if it met the size criteria so I used a website I found which resized my photo then sent me a code I could use on the form. It was cheaper and easier than going to a photo booth.

I must have applied in a quiet period as it only took a few days for my new passport to arrive - all I had to do then was sign it!

When my driving licence needs renewing later this year they can use the photo from my passport. Amazingly, I quite like the photo, for once I don't look like a convict!

I was very impressed with the service, I liked getting regular emails about where I was in the application process.

maddyone Thu 13-Feb-20 10:31:00

I did mine a couple of years ago, it was straightforward, except for the photo. I got my husband to take my photo but it kept being rejected. They told me why each time, and eventually we managed to take one which was okay. Otherwise, no problems, and quick.

Happygirl79 Thu 13-Feb-20 10:41:39

Renewed recently at the post office
They took the picture, checked my completed form and sent it all off for me. I think it cost an extra £14?

FearlessSwiftie Thu 13-Feb-20 11:14:34

M0nica said it perfectly well. From my personal experience I can tell that when I needed a visa photo I used a special passport photo maker software which I got from here- passport-photo-software.com/. I used some photo of me then and it was cropped automatically by the program. I had it in digital form beforehand, yes, so maybe just scanning won't be enough, the measurements could be different.

H1954 Sun 16-Feb-20 13:59:39

My OH passport needed renewing last year. We did it online and I took a perfectly acceptable photo with my ancient iPad which they used, no problem.

When you attached the photo to the online application they instantly tell you if it's alright or needs doing again.

Brilliant service!

OurKid1 Sun 16-Feb-20 14:03:06

I did mine online and also kept getting told the photo wasn't suitable. In the end I submitted it anyway (you get an option to do that) and it went through with no problems. Trouble is you can see how fed up I was with the whole repeated taking photos thing by the look on my face!

Calendargirl Thu 19-Mar-20 16:01:58

Had photo taken last Saturday, online application Sunday, new passport arrived today (Thursday).

Excellent service, though perhaps they are not too busy at the moment, as I don’t suppose many trips are being planned.

???

Grammaretto Thu 19-Mar-20 16:10:08

Just what I was thinking Calendargirl l even wondered if l should ask for a refund ?

Juliet27 Thu 19-Mar-20 16:14:59

Anyone got a new blue passport?