Gransnet forums

Travel

Kenya and safari

(6 Posts)
dogsmother Mon 24-Feb-20 10:52:51

Any tips for doing this please.
Going in a couple of weeks have malaria tablets at the ready and beach shoes too.
Any advice on this kind of holiday?

Teetime Mon 24-Feb-20 12:23:40

I loved it - best holiday ever. Not sure what to say really it was just wonderful. I hope you have a great time.

Witzend Mon 24-Feb-20 12:41:01

It was a long time ago that we went, with dds then in mid/late teens. It was one of the cheaper safari + Mombasa holidays, 3* hotels, not the lux ones, but still brilliant.

I don’t know whether it’d be the same now, but one thing I really wished I’d known beforehand, was to take a stack of cheap biros. So often when we stopped, children would run up clamouring (very nicely and cheerfully!) for pens.

At one point we stopped and bought a whole carton of Bics to dish out!

Dh and I had visited similar places before, but for dds, who’d never seen anything outside relatively affluent countries, it was very salutary for them to see how happy the children were, just to get a pen. IMO it really brought home to them how so much of the world lives.

One dd later went on to work for a major humanitarian charity and subsequently saw much worse poverty/privation than we ever saw in Kenya.

annodomini Mon 24-Feb-20 13:16:03

Malaria tablets at the ready
Don't delay taking them until you get there. You will need protection soon after you arrive unless you are spending time in Nairobi which isn't usually a malarial area.
Hope you have a great time. I lived there for five years, fifty years ago - the best years of my life!

dogsmother Mon 24-Feb-20 13:25:04

Thanks ?.
I always get bitten by all flying things so am planning on eating marmite as well as getting those tablets in me....Somebody told me that was a thing to do.
I will take pens as they won’t weigh much in my baggage and I’d be glad to do so. So very excited about this trip.

Framilode Mon 24-Feb-20 14:56:30

I hope you have a fantastic time. We have done several safaris in Kenya, a couple organised and one where we drove ourselves all over the country. All great, as I'm sure yours will be.