Gransnet forums

Travel

Flights cancelled due to Coronav.

(24 Posts)
jura2 Mon 02-Mar-20 16:59:26

Coronavirus: British Airways and Ryanair cancel hundreds of flights due to outbreak

British Airways and Ryanair have cancelled hundreds of flights between the UK and parts of Europe and the US due to the coronavirus.

The British Airways cancellations include journeys between Heathrow and Italy, France, Austria, Belgium, Germany, Ireland and Switzerland - plus New York's JFK.

The airline has also cancelled flights between Gatwick and Italy, France and Albania - and London City flights to and from Italy and Germany
news.sky.com/story/coronavir...break-11948097

Riverwalk Mon 02-Mar-20 17:12:05

Due to a drop in bookings and no-shows in the main, as I understand, rather than the virus itself.

GagaJo Mon 02-Mar-20 17:16:35

Are they refunding people that DO want to fly?

jura2 Mon 02-Mar-20 17:52:35

No idea.

Cherrytree59 Mon 02-Mar-20 19:25:46

I have just logged on to my booking site on Ryanair .

It states that due to coronavirus it has cancelled some flights between the UK and Italy during the months of March and April 2020 (sorry can't remember exact dates)

There is no mention of cancelled flights to other countries.

Ryanair also say that anyone who is booked on a now cancelled flight, will be informed by email.

Our flights this month to France via Ryanair, are at this moment in time, still scheduled to go ahead.

Obviously this could change.

tanith Mon 02-Mar-20 19:47:20

I think well be ok tomorrow on BA from Gibraltar to Heathrow. At least they giving plenty of notice

BradfordLass73 Mon 02-Mar-20 20:30:46

My grad-daughter cannot return to her job in the UK as a result of this.
Fortunately she has a job (and of course her family) here so it's not too bad a thing.

Especially not for me, I get to see her more often grin

EllanVannin Mon 02-Mar-20 20:41:24

I bet I'd get a good deal on a flight to Oz right now !

EllanVannin Mon 02-Mar-20 20:42:04

---with an up-grade.

Urmstongran Mon 02-Mar-20 21:27:46

So far just affecting flights to Italy from the U.K. Good - we’re off to Spain on Wednesday morning!

PamelaJ1 Tue 03-Mar-20 05:57:41

Bradford, why can’t she return?
We are in Sydney at the moment, due to return in 2 weeks via HK( in transit) and I am not getting any information about our flights yet.
Is it her choice or has she got some information that you can share?

TerriBull Tue 03-Mar-20 07:19:37

Due to fly to Seville later this month with EasyJet, thus far Spain doesn't appear to be as severely affected as some areas in Europe, particularly Italy, but every day brings something new.

JackyB Tue 03-Mar-20 07:56:08

I came to the UK yesterday morning from Germany and at the time the website said there were no cancellations. I return next Sunday. I'll just have to wait and see.

The link doesn't work for me by the way. "page not found"

curvygran950 Tue 03-Mar-20 08:30:20

Bradfordlass, I too am interested in the reason why your GD can’t return to UK as my son is due to fly back for a visit from Australia in April . He’s bringing my 2 yr old GD - I haven’t seen them for over a year so am really, really looking forward to seeing them.

BlueSapphire Tue 03-Mar-20 08:34:03

I am due to fly to Milan with Easyjet next month and haven't heard anything yet. Shall have to contact the tour company as it is part of a package, and not booked independently.

PamelaJ1 Tue 03-Mar-20 21:32:55

I’ve just checked the Cathy Pacific app. Their information hasn’t changed from last week so we are presuming things are OK at the moment, however, with the way things are going it’s anyone’s guess what will happen next week or the week after.

jeanie99 Fri 13-Mar-20 07:41:39

I was informed yesterday our flight from Venice to the UK is cancelled thank goodness, at least we will receive a refund now.

JackyB Fri 13-Mar-20 09:59:31

I got to the UK and back OK. Ryanair only cancelled flights as from the 16th.

However, our DS1 is due to return from California next month. They are leaving for good so if their flight is cancelled, they will be left standing with a 5 year old child, a 4 month old baby, a pile of suitcases and nowhere to live.

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Mar-20 22:23:00

We are still due to fly back to the U.K. from Australia via HK the week after next.
Bradfordlass is your granddaughter still with you?

AlexxTG Sun 12-Apr-20 14:50:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

clarence4RR Sat 18-Apr-20 17:24:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawB Sat 18-Apr-20 18:13:58

Reported

jeanie99 Sun 26-Apr-20 04:01:23

I am still waiting for a refund for a cancelled Ryanair flight 6 weeks ago.

Juliet27 Sun 26-Apr-20 06:24:47

PamelaJ1 I’ve pm’d you