Gransnet forums

Travel

A New Life in The Sun

(8 Posts)
Gfplux Sun 24-May-20 14:22:15

I have liked the programme but have been shocked at so many inexperienced people opening a business and making such simple mistakes that cost €1000’s before they start.

However I feel very sad that this Corona has destroyed so many dreams almost before they started.

Hopefully some that have been in business for a few years will be able to cope being closed and can open up soon.

Bella51 Tue 05-May-20 16:19:12

I love the show and I agree with previous messages. They work so hard sometimes for little return. I just hope they can ride out this storm....

glammanana Tue 05-May-20 09:30:56

I feel so sorry for the people who run businesses such as restaurants and bars and have moved from UK to make a new life for themselves.
We where fortunate to be able to sell our business and villa 10yrs ago now before we retired full time,friends have told me that many people have handed in the keys to their bars and restaurants and walked away with nothing.

Coolio007 Tue 05-May-20 08:32:12

Which channel is this on please?

GagaJo Mon 30-Mar-20 13:19:39

The family of one of my ex students in Spain was on that programme. Hadn't thought about them until you mentioned this.

They gave up everything in the UK for their new start. Both their children went with them, including their adult daughter. They put their son into the private school I worked in to finish his British education.

Their business will be closed for the foreseeable future. Hope this doesn't break them.

Ellianne Mon 30-Mar-20 12:37:37

I was only talking about this with DH last night. We had a thriving business in France that was made up of holidaymakers, school trips and art courses. We would be in a real mess now as most of our bookings were from Easter to Septembet and no other income. Fortunately we did everything by the book and were in the French system but we would be really struggling. Let alone ever being able to sell.
I love the programme, Floradora.

lostinfrance Mon 30-Mar-20 12:28:38

Yes I can imagine it's going to be very tough for many who rely on tourism all over the world.

I was in Lanzarote just before this hit - and I see photos of how the town is now on lockdown.

The big hotel chains may be able to ride it out but small, independents possibly not.

Very sad indeed.

Floradora9 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:31:33

I have been watching some episodes of the programme I
recorded some time ago and it suddenly hit me how the people featured must now be hit so hard. Most of them had worked all the hours to get their businesses up and running and relied on a good summer to see then through the winter. I cannot see how most of them will survive this ,