Gransnet forums

Travel

7 weeks and still no refund from Ryanair

(18 Posts)
Jane43 Fri 12-Jun-20 12:13:27

Well done jeanie99.

Izabella Sun 07-Jun-20 12:53:32

Just had a 100% refund from Trailfinders even though they say they had not yet retrieved everything from BA .

jeanie99 Sun 07-Jun-20 09:48:48

I rang my credit card companies up and they are arranging a charge back to Ryanair so I will be getting my money back without waiting months.
I took the advice of you lovely people who advised this.
Thank you so much.
Keep safe

Razzy Sat 02-May-20 13:13:13

They have said 6 months. If airlines don’t conserve cash now they WILL go bust. It’s already started.

jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 12:31:29

Thanks everyone for your comments, yes I guess we are in the long wait for money back, only thing is will the companies still be going concerns.

Largolass Sat 02-May-20 09:01:15

Waiting on both KLM and Ryanair to refund but it will take months.

Daisymae Sat 02-May-20 08:51:28

Apparently they are in the process of making 25 million refunds. It's going to take months, depending on when the booking is for

Blinko Sat 02-May-20 08:27:45

Jeannie99 did you see Michael O'Leary on BBC Breakfast tv yesterday? He said refunds could take months but that people will receive them in due course.

jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 02:28:00

It seems we are all in the same boat regarding refunds.
I'm just waiting now for an answer to my e-mail. I'll give it another week then I'll try the recharge back on my credit card. It's complicated though because I paid using two credit cards.
I have a problem also with Cruise 1st regarding a refund, they have stopped answering calls, when you ring it goes straight to a recording. Sent an e-mail asking them to phone me but still no success.
I am now just wondering how we stand if the companies go bust, I guess we'll be in the creditors list for partial refund as the tax man always gets his cut first.
What a mess I can't see this getting sorted for months to come.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Apr-20 10:47:15

Yes I am in the same position trying to get my money back. I am now going to the credit people to put in a claim.

Davidhs Thu 30-Apr-20 10:16:21

Here is part of the explanation from “Which”

On the face of it, the law seems clear for those who pay for a service, on a credit card, that costs more than £100 and less than £30,000. When a company is in breach of contract and doesn’t provide a refund, the credit card company is equally liable. You’re able to claim the money back from the card provider, which will then chase the company that should have supplied you with the service. But it’s unclear whether airlines cancelling flights constitutes a breach of contract. Their terms and conditions are carefully worded, and allow them a great deal of leeway in terms of changing schedules and cancelling flights.

Read more: www.which.co.uk/news/2020/04/flight-cancelled-can-i-get-a-refund-from-my-credit-card/ - Which?

If you persist you will get a refund, but it’s far from being quick or straightforward. Accepting a voucher for future use may give you more certainty with less hassle.

Blinko Thu 30-Apr-20 09:49:45

On BBC Breakfast this morning, the Competitions and Markets Authority (CMA) has issued some stern guidance to the holiday sector on this.

To paraphrase, if a company is unable to offer the holiday as booked, they should refund in full.

I haven't looked, but I would think the CMA website will set it out in full.

MawB Wed 29-Apr-20 22:46:32

They may have gone bust before then of course ! ???

Jane43 Wed 29-Apr-20 22:21:28

We have applied for a refund from Virgin Atlantic. They said it will take up to 90 days to process.

gillybob Wed 29-Apr-20 11:20:45

My son has been trying to get a refund for a cancelled KLM flight for several weeks too jeanie99 They will not budge from their offer of a voucher that will be no earthly good to him. Surely this cannot be right. It seems that the banks and CC companies are squirming out if the right to charge back too.

mrsgreenfingers56 Wed 29-Apr-20 10:52:41

If you used a credit card to pay you can claim back from them. Under Section 75 of the Consumer credit card act you are able to claim reimbursement for a refund.

I am in the same boat with a travel company who have refused to refund me for my holiday and they are breaking the law as the Package Travel Regulations act of 2018 says customers are due for a full refund within 14 days if holiday booked before April 16th. This was a package holiday I booked and now going to claim from my credit card.

vampirequeen Wed 29-Apr-20 10:44:43

It's like you said. They're using any excuse to delay or not give people their money back.

jeanie99 Wed 29-Apr-20 10:19:48

It's like trying to get blood out of a stone.
Had all the usual e-mails from them.
I've contacted them by emailing two different addresses.
Waited on the chat line for over 8 hrs
Tried to phone complete waste of time.
We should have received a refund weeks ago in March before all the madness.
Had so many issues with them pre all this mess, it's just an excuse to not give people there money back.
We said weeks ago before this we would never fly with them again and this as confirmed our decision.
I am just moaning had to get this off my chest, I know there is nothing I can do other than what I have done.
Never ever book with Ryanair