Gransnet forums

Travel

Online travel companies

(4 Posts)
barbs72 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:42:46

We booked a spring break with Secret Escapes travel company to Liverpool on 3rd May. Of course, because of the Coronavirus we could'nt go. Secret Escapes refuses to give us our money back. The company now want £40m from taxpayer's money . Whats happened to the money they are refusing to refund their customers. I know they are worried for their financial future, but their customers are too. Has anybody else had difficulties with these online travel companies? I will never use Secret Escapes again!

jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 02:34:49

It's a nightmare, claim from your travel insurance.
We were stranded in the Maldives, our cruise was cancelled should have boarded on the 7th March and they didn't dock.
Had to take a BA flight home and the insurance company have agreed to pay us for the flight less access of £150 pounds. So you may get some money back but not all of it.
There will be a few companies we'll never go with after this, I for one will never use Cruise1st again, leaving someone stranded thousands of miles away from home is not something any company should ever do.

Davidhs Sat 02-May-20 08:37:45

Most travel companies are online these days, so most of us are going to be using them, just make sure the trip is covered by ABTA or ATOL , pay by credit card and make sure you have travel insurance. Using a high street agent is no guarantee of anything, Thomas Cook customers will testify to that.

If you do book a DIY holiday to save money make sure you have spare cash available if something goes wrong.

GregorKV Fri 08-May-20 21:40:58

I always use booking