Gransnet forums

Travel

Sweet dreams of travelling again

(45 Posts)
CathTheWise Fri 08-May-20 05:49:05

Where do you plan to travel to when this lock down is lifted? I'd love to visit Italy but I won't rush in there, so probably Greece is next in my list. What would be your plans?

korol Wed 24-Jun-20 01:07:07

I dream of going to Prague. I had a planned trip for April, but due to quarantine the trip was cancelled. I hope that in August we can go as a family. We're going to have a wedding anniversary. We want to celebrate our event at the prague dinner cruises prahatrip.cz/restaurant-boats/dinner-cruise-sweet-prague . Romantic dinner on the river in the center of Prague surrounded by castles and Prague castle.... It's going to be great!

NfkDumpling Tue 09-Jun-20 18:13:35

Our trip to Jersey next month has been postponed until next year, so we've optimistically booked a week camping in Sussex instead.

We've booked to go to the Scilly Isles in September so fingers crossed that will still go ahead.

I too, don't think we'll fly again. I never liked long distance anyway, but the end justified the means. Now it just seems too dodgey.

MrsEggy Tue 09-Jun-20 18:01:13

Woodmouse, we too had a week booked in the Scilly Isles, it's so beautiful, and would love to go there next year, before we're too old to climb in and out of boats!

GagaJo Tue 09-Jun-20 17:58:10

I flew to Switzerland at the weekend. It wasn't absolutely mandatory, but I was due to administer oral exams with a class in 2 weeks time and felt very guilty.

Everyone on the plane had a mask on. I had a 1st class row to myself and the man behind me was wearing a full hazmat suit.

Now waiting for the results of my C19 test so I can come out of isolation.

Maya Tue 09-Jun-20 17:43:57

I was born in Ellan Vannin! I am very sad not to be able to visit the Island just now.

Liz46 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:56:33

I have been emailing a neighbour who is stuck in India and will not be able to come back until about July 8th. We have to India booked for December and he has advised us not to go. We have cancelled it and will probably lose the deposit.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 06-Jun-20 10:51:22

Travelling to see my daughter (300 miles).
We had to cancelled 2 trips to see each other. One was her 50th birthday.
Miss her hugs.
We are going to wait until we can do an actual hug.

My birthday treat (70) was 3 days on Scilly Islands - April 2020. It was also first time DH and I have been away for 6 years.
All rebooked for April 2021. Hope I feel brave enough to travel then.

Bellasnana Sat 06-Jun-20 10:22:50

When this is over, my friend, who has cancer and has been recently widowed, asked me if I would go with her to Sicily for a few days. I most certainly would so shall look forward to it.

Babs758 Sat 06-Jun-20 09:59:45

I was supposed to be flying to St Lucia this week but cancelled back in March. Hope to go next year. Checked insurance for over 60s and one company will cover if coronavirus is caught whilst on holiday and will cover treatment but not if a holiday is cancelled beforehand because of it.

Lucca Sat 06-Jun-20 09:41:55

I’m booked on an activity holiday on a Greek island in September, it’s the flight which worries me. Probably best to try and postpone until next year ? If I cancel I’ll lose money.

Ngaio1 Sat 06-Jun-20 09:38:03

I have a long cruise booked in January next. Falkland Islands, Rio, etc.. Shall cancel because I think the Covid 19 risk is too high. I know from experience how quickly something like the Canberra cough spreads on board.

CassieJ Sat 06-Jun-20 09:34:45

I was meant to be flying to Canada in four weeks time to see my grandchild for the first time. That is now cancelled.

It will now be at least a year before I will be able to go. We have decided as a family that none of us will fly until we know that it is safe to do so even though it means we won't see each other in person. I will watch my grandchild on Skype and enjoy it knowing we are safe.

PamelaJ1 Sat 06-Jun-20 08:24:58

I’m hoping to get to Aus next January/February. We decided to go for a couple of months every year from now on and are just keeping our ?.
Don’t you go frequently too Ellen?

I can’t understand why those of you who have camper vans can’t go somewhere for a couple of days. You could be totally self contained for that sort of time scale couldn’t you? Even if you have to plug in to something wouldn’t that be quite manageable?

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 23:16:28

Each pandemic has been around for 2 years and this one's no exception. We've got winter to face yet which usually brings its 'flu viruses, so the thought of any ( safe ) travel will be a year or so away----and I wouldn't take any notice of what the government has to say about their kind of safety.

rubysong Fri 05-Jun-20 22:55:24

We'll be very content with this country for the next year. If people rush to travel abroad the virus is likely to be passed back and forth for ever. We should have been visiting DS1 and family in USA next month but luckily we hadn't booked any flights. If they weren't there I wouldn't want to go abroad at all.

Wolvesnan Fri 05-Jun-20 19:17:42

I planned a week in Winchester this week but hotel closed so got my money back. We have a small cottage in Wales but can't travel there at the moment though that may well be our first holiday. My elder son and family live in America and they are expecting another baby in October so I Will want to go there asap though not this year I'm afraid. Right now reading travel books and using my imagination.

jeanie99 Mon 11-May-20 02:31:32

Razzy
Regarding travel insurance there are no companies who will now insure for Covid 19 unless you are renewing.
I rang Allclear who I am with because my policy runs out in August and we have trips booked and was told because we are renewing we are covered but I have no idea how much it will be.

Razzy Mon 11-May-20 00:12:21

I have travelled extensively, work in the industry and have a holiday booked to Canary Islands in August. I am currently furloughed and with news of a 14 day mandatory quarantine on arrivals, that will kill the industry for a while. Airlines make their money in the summer and make a loss in winter. It really isn’t looking good. No government help other than furlough pay. I think there are 2 issues - 1 is that I bet travel insurance will exclude coronavirus for some time, meaning if you get ill abroad you will have to pay. And 2 is that the new carbon emissions schemes are coming in and the UK was never going to meet its target. That, along with a lack of enough public transport, is going to mean the government can make a big push for green transport.

harrigran Sun 10-May-20 23:18:58

I have no intention of ever flying again.
This virus will never go away, the best we can hope for is that a vaccine is developed before the free roaming idiots kill us all.

Luckygirl Sun 10-May-20 23:03:55

I will never feel the same again about train or ferry travel - I never fly, but would not be keen to be in a sealed metal box cheek by jowl with others whose every out-breath is being recycled into my lungs!.

lovingit Sun 10-May-20 22:48:44

At the beginning of March I paid the deposit and a month's rent for a winter rental in Spain starting in October. I even paid a hefty deposit on my dog's transport.

Do I get my dog his passport?
Will it be money wasted?
I wish I knew what to do.

jeanie99 Sun 10-May-20 11:08:37

Once this is over I'll be happy to just travel round the UK, just would like the freedom to walk around safely.
Haven't been out other than walking in the village since mid March.
Skegness is very appealing, just to walk on the fabulous beach would be a pure delight.

EllanVannin Fri 08-May-20 18:41:17

I should be satisfied being 2mins away from the sea-shore !

bikergran Fri 08-May-20 17:46:13

Lytham St Annes smile 45 mins away

Fleetwood 50 mins away

Even Cheesy Blackpool 45 mins away

Im easily suited just want to see the sea.

Llandudno would suit me even more 2 hours away.

EllanVannin Fri 08-May-20 17:41:52

I would have gone to Jersey last minute for the Battle of the Flowers and their lobster salads but it's cancelled this August.sad See what next year brings. It's only an hour away by air from Liverpool which is no time at all to feel that you're abroad.