Gransnet forums

Travel

Quarantine

(13 Posts)
crossgranny Sun 10-May-20 11:54:03

I am presently in self isolation in a holiday cottage before going home to DH. I was in NZ meeting my new granddaughter when my return flight was cancelled. I was lucky to have an extra 4 weeks with my son and his family before but I got onto a UK repatriation flight.

It was my own decision to self isolate/quarantine. Why should I risk bringing the virus to DH who has been very diligent following advice for over 70s. Lovely DIL provided two weeks food supplies.

Quarantine for all incoming passengers was in introduced in NZ on 15 March. There was a degree of non compliance so now everyone entering the country is quarantined in hotels for 14 days. A good proportion of new cases were among this group.

Why in heavens name are the UK government suggesting quarantine not now but at the end of the month.

NZ could teach them a thing or two.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 10-May-20 16:18:46

We didn’t do it presumably because we have approx 350,000 people arriving in the U.K. on flights, plus ferry passengers each day.
Impossible to quarantine them all.
We should have closed our borders for all except ex pats who could have been quarantined, as there would have been a much smaller number.
But we didn’t, but now we might, talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Davidhs Sun 10-May-20 16:56:25

It would have been impossible to quarantine the numbers returning, it would have been much more effective to pay them to stay where they were, particularly those in the low infection rated countries like NZ and OZ.

At last quarantine will be required, at least for a few months until health screening or certification is agreed at both ends of any international travel.

EllanVannin Sun 10-May-20 17:42:13

Nobody should have been repatriated from a Covid stricken country from the start.

EllanVannin Sun 10-May-20 17:43:57

It's because of that, that we've got all this now----(shakes head )

farview Tue 12-May-20 11:37:54

...and will there be a 'guard ' outside every house,apartment etc...

Riverwalk Tue 12-May-20 11:42:36

As I understand things, they are not planning on quarantine, as in when passengers were taken to Arrow Park hospital, but self-isolation at a given address.

Whether there will be any attempt to monitor compliance - I doubt it.

suziewoozie Tue 12-May-20 12:23:22

Don’t worry River Group 4 or Serco will have been given the lucrative monitoring contact so all will be well.

suziewoozie Tue 12-May-20 12:24:10

And given that travellers from France are excluded from quarantining .....

Riverwalk Tue 12-May-20 13:02:36

Has France closed its Shengen borders? If not that's the whole of Europe excluded!

Riverwalk Tue 12-May-20 13:03:51

Don’t worry River Group 4 or Serco will have been given the lucrative monitoring contact so all will be well.

Without tender.

Gfplux Sun 24-May-20 14:15:50

Now the clever Johnson Government are introducing 14 day quarantine from June the 8th.
Why June 8th, no one knows.

Fennel Sun 24-May-20 14:54:37

I discovered that the word quarantine comes from the french for 40 - quarante. Maybe because in the old days they guessed 40 days was safer.
Now they use a different word for 14 days - quatorzaine . From 14 - quatorze.
I agree with EllanVannin that no-one should have been allowed to be repatriated from the start.