Gransnet forums

Travel

Collapse of Shearings

(22 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 17:53:00

Just heard Shearings has gone into administration, 64000 holidays cancelled, 2500 job losses.

We’ve enjoyed several coach holidays with them over the years, UK and abroad.

What a shame.

annsixty Fri 22-May-20 18:06:48

Sadly I think this is going to be repeated many times with tour companies, hotels ,airlines etc.
Sad and unprecedented times for everyone.

Sussexborn Fri 22-May-20 18:10:02

Such a shame but it’s going to be a while before most people want to travel in any kind of enclosed space with unknown people.

Witzend Fri 22-May-20 18:10:43

Very sad. Many years ago now, but I once went with my mother on a tour of the Shetlands with them, after she’d had to cancel a holiday (not Shearings) to the Hebrides with a friend who no longer wanted to go.
It was excellently organised and very good value.

vampirequeen Fri 22-May-20 18:16:33

Shearings also own National Holidays, Caledonian, Bay Hotels and many other companies.

ExD Fri 22-May-20 18:22:08

Oh dear, sorry for them but sorry for us too.
We had a trip to see Andre Rieu with them as our own celebration for our 60th (diamond) wedding anniversary which is on Sunday. They'd postponed the trip till September - and it now looks as though we've lost our money!
Already fighting for money paid for a holiday arranged for last Match from Teletext.

Alishka Fri 22-May-20 18:22:47

All those employees and families of this and other companies must be worried, as indeed must be all the others affected by job losses.sad

BlueBelle Fri 22-May-20 18:26:00

Oh dear I don’t do coach holiday but my mum and dad always used Shearings and had some lovely holidays with them

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 18:28:22

ExD

It said your money will be safe for cancelled holidays.

EllanVannin Fri 22-May-20 18:43:50

This is indeed sad news. My late friend and I used the firm at least once a year over a number of years both home and abroad without one complaint. Hotels were good as was the food served in them.

Goodness me, the loss will be felt among its workers including the drivers, who , most of them made the holiday especially those who drove abroad.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-May-20 19:35:09

I’m so sorry to hear this. We’ve had some lovely short breaks with Shearings and National, our last one to Bosworth Hall near the battlefield. It was just incredible value and the driver and staff were without exception hardworking and friendly. Such a shame.

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 19:50:36

They didn't just have just coach holidays, Bluebelle, some were self drive.
We've had some great family get togethers with Shearings, family meeting from far and wide.

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 19:51:41

Oh dear, all those job losses.
The staff were always so friendly.

Buffybee Fri 22-May-20 20:02:43

It’s terrible all these businesses going under.
I feel for the people who have lost their jobs, on top of worrying about this virus and having family to care for.

Mancjules Fri 22-May-20 20:20:45

So sad to hear the news. We have done a few trips with National to Scotland. Worrying times for so many sad

Littleannie Fri 22-May-20 20:27:49

Sorry to hear this. We have been to some places we couldn't have got to under our own steam. We had a lovely holiday in St. Ives which included a trip to the Isles of Scilly.

bikergran Fri 22-May-20 21:27:17

That is sad, they were a popular company.

I was hoping to travel with my mum and dad on a shearings trip to Wales before my mum becomes more ill(obviously things were are hold with the virus) we were thinking to book for September time.

They will be a lot of dissapointed people who loved traveling with Shearings.

ninathenana Sat 23-May-20 08:14:57

My DD sent me a link about this last night. I was shocked and saddened by it.
We have enjoyed a few holidays with Shearings.

Chewbacca Sat 23-May-20 08:21:13

I think my friend and I must have been amongst the last batch of people to holiday with National Holidays mid March. We had a long weekend break at one of their hotels in mid Wales and, as we were leaving, the receptionist told us that they'd cancelled the next week's bookings. So many hotels, B & Bs and leisure complexes and associated staff will lose their livelihoods. sad

bikergran Sat 23-May-20 09:05:44

I suppose this is just the start of the coach companies that are not going to be able to carry on.

A lot of older people used to to travel on the coaches, they felt safe and also single people who maybe got chatting to others and made friends.

Although 1000s and 1000s of expensive holidays have been cancelled and holiday firms will go under, it just seems a shame for companies like these who are a bit of a lifeline to some and enable them to travel short or far for a little break.

Lets hope that some can sustain the rocky road or maybe be resurrected in time to come.

bikergran Sat 23-May-20 09:06:36

and younger people travel on coaches of course! but mainly older people smile

sodapop Sat 23-May-20 09:33:26

I must admit to being quite surprised by this, they are a large and well respected company.
As bikergran said amongst other things they provided a service that was safe and affordable for a lot of people. So many people without jobs now.