Gransnet forums

Travel

Annual Travel Insurance that will not refund

(33 Posts)
middleagespread Tue 09-Jun-20 12:43:26

Back in late February with no trips planned but with very intention of taking several short breaks we bought an annual travel insurance for Europe. It is expensive with my husbands medical conditions but absolutely necessary. However, now, of course, we are unlikely to move further than our front path for the foreseeable future and with restrictions unable and unwilling to take holidays anywhere. Staysure are unable to process my request to cancel our policy or even to extend it so that we could take advantage of it maybe next year. They have a strict cancellation policy for annual policies - no refund. Anyone else have this issue?

Juno56 Wed 17-Jun-20 17:17:38

An update on my situation middleagespread, I have been notified by Coverwise that they will now offer a pro-rata refund of my policy premium smile. I hope you will have a similar result from Staysure. X

Georgesgran Mon 15-Jun-20 10:39:41

My daughter has had (automatic renewal) continuous travel insurance for many years with Staysure as a full time wheelchair user. She has missed her April visit to NY and should be in Majorca this week. She’s had a £50 refund back from RSA, her car insurer and I know Admiral are refunding £25 per policy. I’ve heard a rumour that Tesco are going to issue their insured with store vouchers worth more.

I’ve had an unrelated call from Staysure today and there’s ‘talk’ of a discount off the next policy at renewal time. Doesn’t help those who’ve taken it as a one-off policy though.

Eloethan Sun 14-Jun-20 20:00:45

For the last few years I have used Staysure but have never had to make a claim.

Perhaps I should re-think my use of this company in the future. Mind you, I don't have a lot of faith in any insurance companies.

middleagespread Sun 14-Jun-20 16:21:13

Well done Daisymae. I took your advice and reported them but will now pursue them directly.

middleagespread Sun 14-Jun-20 16:19:19

I will not use them again for sure.smile

middleagespread Sun 14-Jun-20 16:17:23

so pleased MaryDoll it all worked out well for you. Ill bear it in mind, if I ever pluck up courage to leave the country again.

middleagespread Sun 14-Jun-20 16:15:54

Dear welbeck, we took our insurance in February as we have family in France who needed our help. With the benefit of hindsight we could all have dealt with things differently I imagine. But we took our guidance from the Governments website and at that point Wuhan was a long way away. Next time we have a pandemic I will be prepared.

middleagespread Sun 14-Jun-20 16:11:51

thank you welbeck

middleagespread Sun 14-Jun-20 16:10:52

Thank you FloraDora9

Floradora9 Sat 13-Jun-20 22:49:01

I have type 2 diabetes and other problems and DH has heart stents and other little problems. We get free travel insurance though our bank account with Nationwide and paid almost £400 in January to cover all medical problems. We have never used the insurance this year so tried to get Nationwide to give us a pro rata refund . They refuse saying go to UK Insurance who underwrite the policy. The insurance company say they need Nationwide to agree before they would consider a refund . We have written twice and had no reply and phoned and contacted bth companines via the internet. Every other company has refunded our holiday costs ( only had one booked ) , parking even the Executive lounge but we are at stalemate with the annual insuarance .
Stay Sure seem to be the only company offering cover if you get the virus on holiday now.

Lollin Sat 13-Jun-20 18:40:49

We went to St insurance after seeing them on gn. Not 10/10 score for them following our experience in early spring.

welbeck Sat 13-Jun-20 17:16:10

a bit of a segway, to motor insurance, but heard on moneybox today that people who have hardly used their cars during lockdown are advised to contact insurers to see if they can get some money back, as their actual mileage is much lower than usual. paul lewis was talking about it.
apparently admiral have given some money back.
worth a try if appropriate.

Jane43 Fri 12-Jun-20 22:52:08

I’m not sure LuckyLegs, you could look on their website. I had breast cancer in September 2018 and DH has Type 2 Diabetes which we declared but we were able to get cover for £220 whereas other companies ‘ quotes varied from £500 to over £1000. As I remember there were three levels of cover you could choose from depending on what was covered and the amount of excess etc. They are worth looking at anyway. We took out our policy when we booked our flights in January welbeck even though our holiday wasn’t until May.

Marydoll Fri 12-Jun-20 20:49:10

Luckylegs I found All Clear to be very good after Staysure refused to insure me after I tried to add a new condition to my annual policy.

A claim with All Clear was all done online.
They paid out without any problem, after a drug allergy put me in coronary care.

welbeck Fri 12-Jun-20 16:43:44

always google any company before you part with money.
other users' experiences can be quite enlightening.
i'm surprised anyone took out holiday insurance in march, didn't see the news of what was happening across the world ?
still i'm sorry you lost out, guess we should all be grateful if it's only money lost.

Luckylegs Fri 12-Jun-20 13:01:00

Do they deal with people with health issues like Staysure though, Jane43? That’s why a lot of us used Staysure. If they do, I will try them.

Jane43 Fri 12-Jun-20 10:22:15

It’s a shame that some companies are being so difficult. We booked a single trip travel insurance for our holiday to the USA on May 6th which was obviously cancelled. When we read that some insurance companies were refunding policies we contacted Columbus Direct, the company we used who were incidentally the cheapest quote by far and they refunded the full amount within days. We have used them many times and they paid my medical expenses when I was hospitalised in the USA in 2003 so I can recommend them.

GillT57 Thu 11-Jun-20 17:36:02

Hmm interesting. I am with staysure, and like many, we take out a full bells and whistles annual policy, I just treat it like house and car insurance, paid, done and dusted. But, we will not be travelling for a while, and our policy runs until end of September so I had been hoping for a refund of around 25%, looks as if I may be out of luck. At present, I am trying to get reimbursed for airfares costs incurred as result of covid19 and not having much luck. Well, it looks as if I will be looking for another insurer for next year, when we can finally start going away again. It is insignificant compared to the losses many have had, but still very irritating.

quizqueen Thu 11-Jun-20 17:25:40

Thanks for the tips about insurance companies to avoid.

Marydoll Thu 11-Jun-20 17:19:31

I too would never use Staysure again, dreadful company.

Daisymae Thu 11-Jun-20 16:43:06

I have just posted today that I have managed to get a refund. Have been trying since April but I think that the CMA ruling and statement this week really did help. Hope you are successful.

middleagespread Thu 11-Jun-20 16:30:14

Daisymae I think I will.Thank you

Daisymae Wed 10-Jun-20 13:15:57

I would report them to the Competitions and Marketing Authority. They are looking at unfair practices especially at the moment with regard to Corona. The CMA are online and its very easy to report an issue, just google. If they have enough complaints they may look into things. They have been in the news this week with a success story so really worth a go.

middleagespread Wed 10-Jun-20 12:59:02

BabyLayla, that is awful, the stuff of nightmares. Maybe someone should write an article for Gransnet if there is enough feedback.

middleagespread Wed 10-Jun-20 12:56:12

That is appalling.