Gransnet forums

Travel

Does anyone know the rules re quarantine after travel?

(22 Posts)
Luckylegs Mon 17-Aug-20 16:58:39

I know we don’t deserve any sympathy (and may not get any on here) but we did take ourselves off to Portugal to our own apartment and flew back yesterday, knowing we’d have to quarantine for two weeks which, being retired, we can do.

However, does anyone know any details please? Like what do you do about shopping and particularly about taking the dog for a walk? After all, someone else might have had to get a taxi from the airport and boarded a train to get home! We have kept ourselves to ourselves in our apartment, going out infrequently but feeling safe. Just enjoyed the rest and relaxation in the sunshine which we don’t get very much in the north (although realise it has been nice here whilst we’ve been away).

I’ve been told they only contact one in eight because they just don’t have the manpower but that’s not the problem, it’s just walking the dog really which is concerning me as we have no one else who could do it or have the patience you need with our dog.

anna7 Mon 17-Aug-20 17:12:27

You need to order your shopping on line. You are supposed to get someone else to walk your dog. I suppose if you walked him and didn't see anyone or touched anything, like gates, you would be ok but I am not sure .

Callistemon Mon 17-Aug-20 17:17:02

When we first locked down someone from a local help group brought round a leaflet offering to shop, fetch medicines and walk the dog.
Have a look on your local FB page for contacts.

No, I don't think you can walk him, quarantine means staying at home.

MawB2 Mon 17-Aug-20 17:18:59

Anna7 is right, quarantine regs are stricter than lockdown was. You are allowed to buy basic essentials on your way hone if there is no alternative, but thereafter you will have to find someone to walk your dog and do your shopping - or else do it online. (Fortunately slots are now very easy to find, I booked last night for an Ocado delivery coming today between 7 and 8.)

From the DT
Self-isolating means remaining at home or the place you are staying – and not leaving it. So, you cannot go shopping or meet friends, and any exercise must be in your own home or garden. People can be fined £100 for failing to fill in a contact form with details of where they are staying. One in five will be called or texted to check they are following the rules. People who do not self-isolate can be fined up to £1,000 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and £480 in Scotland. There are fines of up to £5,000 for persistent offenders.

Pittcity Mon 17-Aug-20 17:19:12

The rules are that you can only leave the contact address that you've given in an emergency. Everything should be delivered. You should not go out and walk the dog. www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

Personally I think you should use your common sense.

Illte Mon 17-Aug-20 17:20:01

Yes. And so should you! You should have thought about all this before.

On arrival you must travel straight to your isolation accommodation. You should not stop to pick up groceries, see the family etc. You should only use public transport if there is absuteky no alternative and even then you must inform the bus or train company so that they can isolate you as far as possible.

You cannot go shopping. Food must be delivered. You cannot walk the dog.

You probably will say oh but I have too. And you probably will.

This is why we are still battling the virus. People won't take respo siblity for their actions. It's not about being "caught". It's about you spreading the virus.

I sound quite cross. That's because I would like the members of my family who are worn out working in the NHS to have some chance of a normal family life.

???

Luckylegs Mon 17-Aug-20 19:07:12

I must have been mad to post on here, hoping for some kind words.

I have a daughter in law who works in the NHS and who worked on the Covid wards and is absolutely exhausted therefore who has flown out today and is perfectly prepared to quarantine on their return so I understand about that.

I resent very much being compared to idiots who are going to parties, weddings etc completely uncaring of spreading the virus. We have worn masks all the time, kept ourselves separate and are safer than most people. The air stewards are flying to and fro dealing with passengers all the time so there’s no quarantining there.

I realise I won’t be able to walk the dog, thanks for those who were polite and took the trouble to reply.

Lucca Mon 17-Aug-20 19:16:42

So frustrating that in fact those who took care and stayed in Remote places etc WILL obey the Quarantine while those who flew to who knows where For a stag weekend will almost certainly NOT
my ex is one who has flown back from Spain but is cheerfully going to the shops everyday ......

Illte Mon 17-Aug-20 19:27:06

There's no point comparing yourself to what others do. It's just an excuse to justify yourself.

You went without bothering to check what quarantine meant.

Your main concern was the dog not spreading the virus.

And not getting caught because they probably wouldn't ring.

Like I said everyone thinks they are the important exception.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Aug-20 19:27:44

Yes Lucca, unfortunately, those who break the rules are also far more likely to have and transmit the virus.

Still, dogs can manage without walks for a while, if necessary. Playing chase in the garden is a good substitute.

Luckylegs Mon 17-Aug-20 19:35:34

Do you know me, Illte?

You KNOW that we went without checking what quarantine meant!

You KNOW that my main concern was the dog not spreading the virus.

You reckon we just want an excuse to justify ourselves.

Thank you, Lucca for at least understanding that we will obey the quarantine unlike others. I was merely clarifying.

Our dog isn’t well and is not able to play chase unfortunately. She has to be coaxed into a very short and painful walk. Never mind, I’m out of this.

Illte Mon 17-Aug-20 19:45:08

If you knew, why did you post? "Does anybody know."

You said your main worry was the dog because nobody else has the patience to walk them except you.

And you were the one that brought up that you weren't likely yo get caught because it's only one in eight that get a call. Why would you even mention that if you weren't cakcukating your odds.

But there we are. You'll do what you want.

Illte Mon 17-Aug-20 19:46:35

And justify it to yourself.

Luckylegs Mon 17-Aug-20 20:07:47

Does anyone else feel that I’m being harassed and pursued here?

grannysyb Mon 17-Aug-20 20:24:28

Yes, Luckylegs I do! My DD and her family went to Portugal for three weeks, their quarantine will be up next Saturday. They went knowing that they would probably have to do this and accepted it. However Portugal has had relatively few cases compared to Spain and you could go to Spain without quarantining on return until recently. I would normally have gone with them for a week, but chose not to this year. I wonder how many foreigners coming into Britain quarantine, they had to at the beginning, but that seemed to disappear fairly rapidly!

Summerlove Mon 17-Aug-20 20:29:43

What other people do to get home has nothing to do with what you are meant to do.

Shouldn’t you have sorted this all out before you went away??

Summerlove Mon 17-Aug-20 20:33:30

grannysyb

Yes, Luckylegs I do! My DD and her family went to Portugal for three weeks, their quarantine will be up next Saturday. They went knowing that they would probably have to do this and accepted it. However Portugal has had relatively few cases compared to Spain and you could go to Spain without quarantining on return until recently. I would normally have gone with them for a week, but chose not to this year. I wonder how many foreigners coming into Britain quarantine, they had to at the beginning, but that seemed to disappear fairly rapidly!

Because who can trust those horrible decease spreading foreigners!!??‍♀️??‍♀️??‍♀️

MerylStreep Mon 17-Aug-20 20:36:22

does anyone else feel I'm being harassed and abused
You obviously haven't if you think this is harrisment and abuse.
You asked, and posters gave their opinions. Simple as.

Luckylegs Mon 17-Aug-20 20:55:32

Abused? I never mentioned abuse!

Summerlove Tue 18-Aug-20 02:14:23

Luckylegs

Does anyone else feel that I’m being harassed and pursued here?

I think the replies have been more frank than you wanted, but no, unless posters are Bringing this up on every thread you post here today, I don’t think you are being harassed and pursued.

What answers did you expect?

JenniferEccles Wed 19-Aug-20 13:07:44

No harsh words from me Luckylegs.
You asked a question and it should be answered without the snide comments.

I am sure you know what others have pointed out that being in quarantine does mean that you shouldn’t go out at all, except in an absolute emergency BUT as regards walking the dog, doesn’t that depend entirely on where you live?

Yes ok strictly speaking you should get someone else to walk him but if you live in a rural area and would be highly unlikely to encounter anyone on your walk then why not?

Quarantine or not the fact remains that the number of infected people in Portugal is still low so the chances that you picked up the virus whilst you were there are very small.

Those are just my thoughts though and like I said I do know that quarantine means you should stay at home for the designated period !

Jaxjacky Wed 19-Aug-20 13:26:57

Wherever the dog was when you were in Portugal, perhaps it could stay there?