Gransnet forums

Travel

Dream holidays

(56 Posts)
Kim19 Fri 19-Feb-21 08:17:49

Ultimate total freedom to roam is the vision. After we've done all the heart wrenching stuff, like physically reuniting with families, where do you dream of holidaying for the first time or, indeed, returning to? Care to paint a picture, please?

icanhandthemback Fri 19-Feb-21 13:23:25

I'll happily stop home if only the weather was brighter. I just want to see some sunshine.

Alioop Fri 19-Feb-21 13:25:52

My dream is to go and see the Northern Lights in Norway. After all this I'm going to save up and try to go at some stage. Just bought a lottery ticket for Saturday night in hope, yeah right, no hope.

Kim19 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:30:30

Yep, Alioop, done Northern Lights. Worth every penny and seem to recollect it wasn't all that expensive.

helgawills Fri 19-Feb-21 14:09:53

Would love to go back to Doolin in Ireland. Small coastal village with 5 pubs playing music. Lovely campsite, fantastic coastal views across to Aran. Amazing coastal horseriding. Not to mention the nearby town of Lisdoonvarna, with it's matchmaking festival, as commemorated by Christie Moore.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SVo9W4QM5A

helgawills Fri 19-Feb-21 14:28:04

jenni123 what about a dream one? I couls fancy Costa Rica, where you can go riding on Atlantic and Pacific beaches. Never going to happen, though.

hazel93 Fri 19-Feb-21 14:31:40

I would simply love to actually see the house we are building in Cornwall !

Once we eventually move in, hopefully by Christmas, then next year , fingers crossed, off to Elounda once again.

Niochorio Fri 19-Feb-21 14:42:30

I am longing to go and see my son who lives and works in Japan. We haven’t seen him for 18 months and he hasn’t been home to Wales for over two years. I also want to return to our home in Crete and soak up the sunshine for a few months and catch up with all our friends. After that there are so many places that I had planned on visiting when I took early retirement just 8 months before COVID. I will have to sit down and plan maybe starting with small breaks in the UK and Ireland.

nipsmum Fri 19-Feb-21 14:46:36

Since I'm not a lover of going on holiday ( I didn't have a passport until I was 63.) Lockdown didn't bother me on that score..

GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Feb-21 15:02:19

After visiting all AC and GC it will either be the Caribbean, Seychelles or Mauritius depending on the time of year we get our freedom back!

Cass64 Fri 19-Feb-21 15:10:48

We don't do holidays anymore due to my husband's illness.
asked pre lockdown about dream holidays and I would have said I dreamed of machu Picchu or Angkor Wat...Now I just dream of seeing my mother again and of course my darling son and my grandchildren ..

GrammaH Fri 19-Feb-21 15:41:41

We've always enjoyed having foreign holidays and the occasional short UK break but I must admit that, this year, I'd be happy just to go anywhere that's not in our immediate vicinity. A trip across to Lincolnshire to see our daughter, a few days with relatives in Dorset, a week in Scotland, perhaps a long weekend exploring east Anglia, a day trip to the Welsh coast ...much as we love continental holidays, particularly to Italy, I don't feel the pull that I did pre-Covid. There's plenty of lovely places much closer to hand & simple to get to.

Karalou51 Fri 19-Feb-21 16:06:32

Oh Italy! Been planning routes today! Never been keen on the air quality of planes so planning to go by coach as I did in my first trip to Italy nearly 50 years ago! Just cannot wait!!

Severnsider Fri 19-Feb-21 16:16:12

Greek islands - 2 years ago we managed to do Fourni and Lipsi.

Greek food and wine, Greek hospitality, ancient sites and sunshine. Heaven!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 19-Feb-21 16:31:21

I just love to go back to Cambodia and Laos, We spent the winter out there for ten years and have built up a good network of local friends who still keep in touch. Not sure if I can go again due to my health problems and the cost of holiday insurance, so it could just be a dream

Lilyflower Fri 19-Feb-21 17:05:00

Jenible , that sounds horrible, not to have had a break in 20 years. After the Lockdown ends, could you not go and stay somewhere with a friend? Or club together with someone to hire a caravan at the seaside? Or do a house swap? There are a few house swap websites where you arrange to stay in someone else’s house and they get yours for a period.

Karalou51 Fri 19-Feb-21 17:11:34

You took me every inch with you! Been as far as Singapore and Australia one way and America the other but Italy ?? feels like 'home'! Can't wait to get back there.....

Katie59 Fri 19-Feb-21 18:05:44

A remote island, sea lions and penguins on the beach, no motor transport, main street is sand, a few nice restaurants walk along the beach to your hotel.

Isabella island in Galapagos, not likely to visit again very expensive to get there

Ladyf Fri 19-Feb-21 18:10:58

Krakow first. Booked break for May 2020 there for my husband's 60th birthday treat but it was cancelled for obvious reasons. He was so looking forward to it.
Kefalonia would be next. First visited when Captain Correlli's Mandolin was being filmed and, even though I have visited other countries, I am always drawn back there. I visited Kefalonia with my sister for a 5 day break a few years ago. Whilst having dinner there was a small earthquake. Luckily, we did not spill our wine!

grumppa Fri 19-Feb-21 18:30:41

Pottering round Europe by train, starting and finishing with Eurostar to and from Paris.

MerylStreep Fri 19-Feb-21 18:48:50

Not a dream holiday as we've done it a couple of times. We would take the Motohome to Morocco. France and Spain aren't very friendly to 'us' at the moment so will spend our money there.

chrissyh Fri 19-Feb-21 19:11:12

Making plans in 2019: ‘This year I’m going to travel, try new things, explore the world!’

Making plans in 2021: ‘In the summer I hope to go outside and maybe sit on a bench’

Bijou Fri 19-Feb-21 19:22:00

Vaucluse, Provence, France where my late husband and I spent ten summers in the 1980s. Failing that Barbados where I used to go each winter to stay with my niece.

bridie54 Fri 19-Feb-21 20:39:12

I would love to see the stunning Autumn colours of East coast USA combined with a spending spree to their amazing Patchwork and Quilting shops.
And then on to a Christmas visit to the markets of Vienna, I saw a programme on TV and they look amazing. But the highlight for me would be to see The Spanish Riding School, such beautiful horses and fabulous music.
Dream on ..,,,

Jules59 Fri 19-Feb-21 22:15:05

I’d go to San Francisco to see my son who moved there over a year ago as I miss him. Then I fancy the Orient Express, then Malta, and then a train holiday anywhere!

Chapeau Fri 19-Feb-21 23:20:22

The Khyber Railway in NW Pakistan.