Gransnet forums

Travel

Thames boat trip

(12 Posts)
Polarbear2 Fri 14-May-21 11:47:30

When I was at school many many years ago I remember we were taken on a boat trip on the Thames (not in the city). It went through beautiful countryside and past houses where gardens went down to the water. I think it ended in Windsor. I’d love to do something similar again but being from up north I don’t know the area. I’ve googled to no avail. Any recommendations?

tanith Fri 14-May-21 11:54:30

There are several companies doing Thames trips around Windsor Runnymede this is just one.

www.frenchbrothers.co.uk/

Riverwalk Fri 14-May-21 12:05:30

Pre-Covid, various boat companies had trips that visit the upper Thames. As far as I'm aware you need to board in that area, not central London as the journey is too far.

Windsor

Polarbear2 Fri 14-May-21 12:16:55

Riverwalk

Pre-Covid, various boat companies had trips that visit the upper Thames. As far as I'm aware you need to board in that area, not central London as the journey is too far.

Windsor

Erm. Sorry to be thick. What town would you class as upper Thames please? I’d want to get the train there, boat to ?, then into the city and get the train back. With retail therapy in between of course ?

Riverwalk Fri 14-May-21 12:24:30

If starting from central London you could get the train from Waterloo to Windsor and board a boat there which would take you to e.g. Maidenhead, Runnymede, etc. Presumably as these are tourist events it's a circular route and you would get off back at Windsor for the train to Waterloo.

Polarbear2 Fri 14-May-21 12:26:03

Fabulous. Thanks for the info. Very helpful. X

Greenfinch Fri 14-May-21 12:30:24

If you google Salterssteamers you will find many trips around the Henley and Marlow areas. There are a variety of trips and a variety of prices and the Henley area is lovely.A variety of wildlife can be seen there as well

Polarbear2 Fri 14-May-21 15:51:09

Thank you ?

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 16:57:17

What Greenfinch says. Abingdon, Marlow ,Henley, Oxford are all on the river and Salters do good river trips, not too expensive either.

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 16:58:10

Three Men On A Boat territory.?

Callistemon Fri 14-May-21 17:03:46

I remember going on one when I was a child and we boarded at Caversham.
We stopped in Windsor and toured the town and Windsor Castle.
I'm sure they still go from there.

Dinahmo Tue 18-May-21 11:50:57

I did that trip a few times with my grandparents who lived at Hampton. We got on at Hampton Court and when we got to Windsor we'd go to the castle to see Queen Mary's Dolls' House. Lovely times.