Gransnet forums

Travel

The best of New Zealand 2022

(16 Posts)
Nonogran Fri 16-Jul-21 09:38:45

Good day all,
COVID & travel allowing, I’m hoping to make a trip to NZ, possibly next February. I have not been there for 50 years so my memory is dim about how to make the most of my trip.
Have any Grans got any suggestions about travel within the 2 islands (trains, motor homes, budget hotels) so that I can see as much as possible during a six week trip?
I have family in Auckland & Wellington but don’t intend to stay with them, preferring to be independent.
Will be glad of suggestions I can research in advance.
Thank you all.

Ellianne Fri 16-Jul-21 09:54:53

Lovely time of year to visit! 6 weeks will fly by, we usually go for 3 weeks but still manage to cover a fair bit of ground. As regards travel, we prefer to hire a car from Auckland and use motor lodges. The thought of a large touring vehicle on some NZ roads scares me in our advancing years. We then fly from Wellington to Nelson to island hop although the ferry journey to Picton looks nice too and you can pick up a new car the other side. Finally we fly back from Christchurch.
Have a lovely time when they let us in.

fiorentina51 Fri 16-Jul-21 10:39:05

We managed a holiday there last year, January 4th to February 9th, just before Covid struck.
We stayed with my cousin in Auckland for 2 weeks and visited other family members then we all set off on a road trip around North Island, staying in budget motels and visiting various places we had chosen earlier.
We eventually ended up in Wellington and then flew to Christchurch where we picked up a tour bus, spending 10 days touring South Island.
It suited us as we were not seasoned travellers and the trip was also about catching up with family we had not seen for many years.
We got on well with my cousins and they taught us a lot about the history and culture of the country.
When/if we ever go again, I think we would be more confident hiring a car and being more independent travellers.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Shandy57 Fri 16-Jul-21 10:42:54

I'm going on my own in 2023, with Riviera Travel, might the itinerary be useful to you as a 'route planner'? Not that they always make sense, in India we were on a coach for about 8 hours on one of the trips smile

Ellianne Fri 16-Jul-21 11:03:01

Ooo Shandy exciting, well done! Will chat nearer the time.

Chardy Fri 16-Jul-21 12:58:39

Nonogran I am so jealous.
I went for 6 weeks in 2016. Hire car, 2000 miles, Airbnb almost all the way, staying 2 or 3 nights at most places. Absolutely beautiful country, beautiful, friendly people - and almost all the Airbnb hosts are friendly too, telling you of the lovely places that locals know.
Have a fabulous trip

Ashcombe Fri 16-Jul-21 13:09:00

My ex husband and I spent three weeks in NZ in February, 2011 when the weather was near perfect. Sadly, the only wet few days were when we visited Milford Sound. Apart from the first night, when we landed in Christchurch, we didn’t book any hotels for our visit. 10 days after we left Christchurch they suffered the second catastrophic earthquake. That affected me deeply, not least the resilience of the people and the leadership demonstrated by the mayor.

Apart from landing in Wellington when the place was almost fully booked up due to a convention, we had no problems in securing accommodation on spec. We hired a car and used the ferry from Picton across to North Island. Before boarding, we returned the car then hired another in Wellington.

In six weeks you should be able to see plenty! Highlights for me were Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown, Frankton, Fox Glacier, Milford Sound, Kaikouroo (whale watching), Wellington (especially the cable car ride to the botanical gardens), Napier, Rotarua (geysers, etc., a Maori evening, St. Faith's Church), Waitangi, Whangamata, Coromandel Peninsula and the Bay of Islands (dolphin watching).

The scenery was stunning with beautiful vistas around every corner! But you’ll already know that. The people were friendly and welcoming. On one one occasion, we had stopped to take photos of unusual trees when a local stopped to check all was well! So kind!

It's one of my favourite destinations for a holiday. I’m sure you’ll have a memorable time. Good luck in the land of the long white cloud!

Callistemon Fri 16-Jul-21 13:09:19

Nonogran are you going alone and are you happy to do your own thing?
If not, there are lots of foirms offering small group tours with informative guides.

We hired a car, stayed partly with a friend but also booked self-catering accommodation, Air b&b in advance for nightly stays in various locations.

Six weeks!
envy
Happy planning

seacliff Fri 16-Jul-21 13:41:19

What a wonderful place, only been once. When we plan road trips, I get lots of useful information from Money Saving Forum, planning roadtrips. There is this link but many more. www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k9139403-3_week_New_Zealand_road_trip-New_Zealand.html

We went at a quiet time of year so didn't book always ahead. However I think it's a good idea, as if nothing is booked, you feel you have to start looking mid afternoon and worry you may not find anywhere. Whereas if it's booked, you can relax and get there later

If booking ahead you have to calculate how long it takes to get from one base to the next. I would always err on the generous side travel timewise, as you want to feel you can stop off if something interesting catches your eye.

There are also some very scenic train journeys you could build into your itinerary. Have a wonderful time.

Chardy Fri 16-Jul-21 13:58:52

Like nonogran my trip was Feb/Mar and I do remember meeting other travellers who were spending hours every day finding somewhere to stay.
My tour went Auckland, Russell, Whangerai Head, Hahei, Rotorua, Napier, Wellington (Oriental Bay), Hokitita, Haast, Manapouri (Doubtful Sound), Stewart Island, Oamaru, Kaikoura, Wanganui, Auckland

Nonogran Fri 16-Jul-21 14:04:01

Oh Wow! Thank you all so much. Some great ideas here & plenty to research. I do hope Covid allows us to realise our plans. Please keep posting if you think of anything else. Links are great too.

Grannygingey Fri 16-Jul-21 14:45:47

I am very envious - love NZ. We have been twice hired a car. The first visit we did both islands and just took the hire car on the ferry - we were expecting to have to leave it on the North Island!
We stay in a combination of motels, lodges, self catering and all have been brilliant.
The best advice we were given was to fly into Auckland and out of Christchurch when doing both islands. (or vice versa)

nanna8 Fri 16-Jul-21 14:48:56

I love New Zealand it is so lovely and innocent. I have been there five or six times now. The South Island is stunning but a bit cool. If you want a bit of warmth go to the bay of islands up north. Milford Sound, of course. We have also been to Norway and it is very like the Fjords. I like Rotorua and the geysers and then there is the Hobbiton village at Matamata, well worth a visit. When you go, avoid the days the big ships come in for example Akaroa is gorgeous but not when it is full of loud shipboard tourists!.

25Avalon Fri 16-Jul-21 14:58:59

Went 5 years ago and had an absolutely wonderful time and would love to go again. From Wellington you can get the ferry across to Picton which is a delightful place, then train down the coast to Christchurch with spectacular views of the sea - the line suffered damage in the last earthquakes but I think it is now fully operational. Then from Christchurch to Greymouth on the tranzalpine train is an absolute must with stunning awe inspiring scenery. At Greymouth you could pick up a hire car.

I also recommend a trip to Milford or Doubtful Sound by boat staying overnight.

There are so many other wonderful sights but I am so glad I did not miss those.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 16-Jul-21 16:05:32

We had a 6 week holiday in NZ way back in 2004. We flew into Christchurch, hired a car and spent nearlt5 weeks of our time driving down one side and up the other of the South Island. We could have spent even longer but the highlight for me was Whale Watching, the whale surfaced so close that I could see his eyes looking at me and then he dived. Wonderful

Nonogran Wed 21-Jul-21 09:02:46

You've all given me some great ideas for our trip. Thank you.
I’m going to buy a large map of New Zealand & pinpoint the places aforementioned. We can work out our itinerary from your suggestions.
A stop over in Singapore is also on the cards.
All this C19 allowing of course.
Thanks to you all.