Gransnet forums

Travel

New Passport

(17 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Fri 20-Aug-21 13:15:53

grin

MawBe Wed 18-Aug-21 15:02:06

Wheniwasyourage

You know what they say - if you look like your passport photo, you're not well enough to travel.

I like that!
I cringed when I saw mine - I looked as if I had just escaped from the Gulag.
Nearly two years later the picture somehow doesn’t look as bad - I must have “grown into it” which is even worse!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 18-Aug-21 14:55:25

You know what they say - if you look like your passport photo, you're not well enough to travel.

maddyone Wed 18-Aug-21 13:28:05

A photo done on your iPad is fine so long as you read all the criteria for the photo. I did mine (well my husband took the photo) and unfortunately it was rejected several times, but we got there in the end and it was accepted.

MayBee70 Wed 18-Aug-21 13:20:47

Pittcity

No need for countersignature unless you have changed appearance significantly since your last passport photo or it's your first application.

That’s a good reason to slap on the make up then!

Jaxjacky Wed 18-Aug-21 08:02:40

Did MrJ’s online, photo taken with iPhone, all went smoothly. We were impressed with the process, one of the easiest government ones ever used.

Juliet27 Wed 18-Aug-21 07:56:54

As MawBe says
You can easily upload the pic along with your application and it will say immediately if the picture is acceptable. (I had to have three goes but got there eventually.)

I wish they hadn’t accepted mine - I look ‘orrible!

Pittcity Wed 18-Aug-21 07:44:06

No need for countersignature unless you have changed appearance significantly since your last passport photo or it's your first application.

Sar53 Tue 17-Aug-21 21:48:43

I had mine taken at Snappysnaps, they check that it's acceptable there and then and they give you a code to add to your online application. I received my new passport within two weeks.

Blossoming Tue 17-Aug-21 19:09:55

MayBee70 I took an iPad selfie and they accepted it no bother. When I needed to replace my paper drivers licence a short while ago they just used my passport photo.

MayBee70 Tue 17-Aug-21 18:27:32

I found Timpsons to be the best 10 years ago after spending a fortune in photo booths? Do you not have to get them countersigned any more? I need a new driving licence, too. I’ve still got my original paper one.

MawBe Tue 17-Aug-21 18:21:53

Just saying - it IS possible!

tanith Tue 17-Aug-21 17:57:08

Did mine at Tesco photo shop, the lady there took the picture and sent me the digital copy it took a few minutes. It was accepted straight away.

BlueBelle Tue 17-Aug-21 17:38:44

Yes it does! but although we followed all the rules with back clothe, light, etc etc it was at first accepted and then rejected so I had to start all over again I went to a Timpsons shop and they did it all for me and they find out on the spot if it’s accepted and it was much easier than doing it myself

MawBe Tue 17-Aug-21 17:31:15

Yes it does. But I would not rely on any you have already as it must be full face, without glasses and definitely not smiling.
The background must be plain and flat and should ideally not be the same colour as your face.
You can easily upload the pic along with your application and it will say immediately if the picture is acceptable. (I had to have three goes but got there eventually. )

Judy54 Tue 17-Aug-21 17:26:09

Hello MayBee70 normally they use the current picture or if you have a driving licence the passport office access that picture online for your new passport. That is certainly how it worked for me.

MayBee70 Tue 17-Aug-21 17:21:58

Realised my passport has expired. It says I can do it online using a digital photograph. Does anyone know if a photo taken using my iPad counts as a digital photo? I don’t really want to go to a shop to have it done if I can avoid it.