Gransnet forums

Travel

Bedroom cushions - comfort or clutter?

(41 Posts)
SqueezedMiddleG Mon 13-Sep-21 21:19:28

I've been fortunate enough to stay at two very good UK hotels recently. On both occasions the bed was covered in colourful cushions. Why do two people need 6 or 8 cushions? 1 or 2 I can understand but the others are just clutter that has to take up space somewhere in the room. Does anyone find them useful?

Baggs Sun 26-Sep-21 15:37:47

Both. I have three pillows but only ever use two at once, but I need a different one on top for when I'm sleeping on my side from when I'm lying on my back. I use the 'back' one for day naps and the side one at night. I also have a fat cushion to rest my knee on when I'm on my side or my calves on when I'm on my back.

It's all a bally nuisance but it's also necessary. I don't have them for decoration – perish the thought.

Nell8 Sun 26-Sep-21 15:27:20

By the time I arrive at a hotel with my own mattress topper and specially adapted pillow, things can get a bit crowded if there are extra cushions. I sometimes ask the chambermaid to remove them.
(By the way, I adapt my pillow by sliding a rolled up towel along the bottom edge of the inner pillowcase. It was a tip from a physio to help prevent neck pain at night. It works.)

GrannyGravy13 Sun 26-Sep-21 14:40:42

We currently have six beds in the house, all have cushions and throws even the single beds and one cot bed for the GC.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 14:29:21

Clutter and a total pain! And as said, they are not changed and are a health hazard.

Scribbles Wed 15-Sep-21 22:21:12

Utter clutter.
And as for those wretched throws, they're a health and safety hazard. They often slither off the bed and on to the floor as I sleep and then I've several times tripped over them while trying to creep quietly to the loo in the small hours.

Witzend Wed 15-Sep-21 20:14:22

I hate the wretched things on hotel beds! (Or on any beds, come to that.). You have to chuck them off at night, and there isn’t always anywhere to put them, except the floor.

And the matching ‘throws’. Both are a pointless fashion IMO.

Margiknot Wed 15-Sep-21 20:03:48

I presume it’s either to make the room look decorative/cosy or to allow people to use the bed as a sofa by padding the headboard. Personally I don’t like them- I use an extra pillow if I need it.
I did buy a cushion once for our bedroom - to pretty it up- and we soon got tired of taking it off each night - so said cushion was re-assigned!

Sara1954 Wed 15-Sep-21 18:58:20

I did have them, they were purely decorative, every night I took them all off, and every morning I put them back in.
When I had the bedroom redone, I chucked them out.

Amberone Wed 15-Sep-21 18:49:58

Definitely clutter. Don't have them at home and in a hotel they just get chucked in the cupboard or onto a chair while I'm there. Just something else that serves no purpose and needs cleaning.

nadateturbe Wed 15-Sep-21 18:40:13

Used to have a lot, but got rid. Just more work and clutter.

lemongrove Wed 15-Sep-21 18:06:18

Yep, clutter....who’s bright idea was bed cushions?
Even very good hotels have fallen for it and we chuck them in the nearest corner.

BBbevan Wed 15-Sep-21 17:57:44

Clutter. I throw them on the floor in hotels etc.

TerriBull Wed 15-Sep-21 07:52:11

They are of course completely superfluous, just dressing really, but they can make the bed look really nice, even if they end up all over the floor when reality kicks in!

M0nica Tue 14-Sep-21 15:33:09

Clutter, hate them

grumppa Tue 14-Sep-21 14:09:05

Annoying clutter!

Josianne Tue 14-Sep-21 13:58:52

JaneJudge

ninathenana

I don't understand people who have them in their own home. Why "decorate" the bed ? who sees it ?

Their dogs and cats? grin

We won't go into what the dogs usually do with cushions!

My puppy regularly has two or three out in the garden and tears about with them.

Grannynannywanny Tue 14-Sep-21 13:33:30

I wouldn’t be bothered having them at home but each to their own. But I really dislike them in a hotel bedroom ever since I arrived in a 4* hotel room where the the lovely fresh white bed linen was adorned with a variety of patterned cushions and there was a revolving smell of someone’s sweaty head from them ! At least I think it was their head ?

They aren’t going to be laundered in between guests and to me that’s no better than leaving the same bedlinen on the beds between guests.

Blossoming Tue 14-Sep-21 13:19:17

I use them to support the partially paralysed bits, especially my shoulder which has been known to dislocate if not supported. I also use them to stop me from rolling onto the dodgy side. I just love being surrounded by comfy cushions really grin

toscalily Tue 14-Sep-21 13:12:07

They always seem to add or have extra cushions when they do these makeover programmes, can you imagine the minutes adding up to hours of your life wasted taking half a dozen off and putting them back every morning? Dust magnets and really not very hygienic in hotels.

JaneJudge Tue 14-Sep-21 12:44:33

ninathenana

I don't understand people who have them in their own home. Why "decorate" the bed ? who sees it ?

Their dogs and cats? grin

MayBee70 Tue 14-Sep-21 12:19:31

VioletSky

I have a beanbag for when I want to be leaned up in bed watching the TV. Its great for my back. Pillows never acheived any comfort that way and I think they are just for decoration but it seems annoying and a waste of monsy to me.

I'd really love one of those beds that tilt though, especially as I have reflux but they look fiddly for bedding etc and sharing a bed

Me too! Both me and the dog love our beanies. I only got one because I had a leather sofa that was very slippy leather and cushions just slipped off but I wouldn’t be without my beanie now. I even take it with me if I go away.

DanniRae Tue 14-Sep-21 12:02:49

Definitely clutter - I never make my bed until it has been aired for a few hours and sometimes I only make it when I am going to get into it blush so any fancy cushions would spend most of their time on the floor.

Chardy Tue 14-Sep-21 08:45:07

I always assumed they were ornamental. The idea that other hotel guests prop themselves up on them in bed, but they're not cleaned, is gross. I knew they'd often be on the floor. Someone on TV said this week that they never touch a hotel bedroom carpet with their bare feet. Hygiene!
And if I need extra pillows at home, I buy extra pillows.

ninathenana Tue 14-Sep-21 08:29:51

Hetty58 Tue 14-Sep-21 01:39:43

Clutter - and annoying!