Gransnet forums

Travel

‘Sisterstay’ has someone had personal experience?

(17 Posts)
mokryna Wed 16-Mar-22 21:54:50

I am looking forward to traveling again but I am a little apprehensive these days. Someone has recommended the ‘Sisterstay’ option for over 50 women solo travelers. What was your personal experience?

giulia Fri 18-Mar-22 10:33:13

Please tell me more. It could be interesting for my sister who is eighty but still likes to travel.

mokryna Fri 18-Mar-22 22:13:57

I would really like to know as it seems a very good idea for me as I am 72..

welbeck Sat 19-Mar-22 02:42:16

sorry, no experience. never heard of it before.
sounds an interesting idea.
although not for me, will remember it, to mention to others.

Nonogran Sat 19-Mar-22 05:24:35

For those who don’t know it, here’s the website:
www.sisterstay.com/
I have no personal experience but I like the emails the Administrator sends out. They’re friendly and “sisterly”.
It seems a good place to start if you’re travelling alone.

glammanana Sat 19-Mar-22 09:19:35

Very interesting indeed .

Luckygirl3 Sat 19-Mar-22 10:01:13

That does look interesting - it would be good to hear from someone who has actually done this.

mokryna Sat 19-Mar-22 11:36:29

I have signed up Nonogran
As I have said before I have flown alone a lot in the last thirty years but have lost a bit of confidence since covid and being the age I am now I feel vulnerable.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Mar-22 12:09:30

I do not know enough about sisterstay to make an informed opinion, but I personally would be worried about personal safety issues.

Staying in someone’s house who you do not know could be a minefield of issues, privacy, cleanliness, personality differences etc.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Mar-22 14:25:01

Granny gravy my feelings entirely I wouldn’t be able to take such a leap of faith they might turn out to not be very friendly or have a completely different ways to you
I like people and get on with most but I would feel totally vulnerable in a strangers house

GillT57 Sat 19-Mar-22 15:35:07

A similar scheme is run by the WI, where members offer accommodation to fellow members.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 19-Mar-22 15:48:18

Isn’t this just a form of AirBnB? Before COVID my sister used to come over from Australia alone. She would be based with me, but when she visited the relatives elsewhere (they don’t all have spare rooms) she did AirBnB quite happily.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Mar-22 16:00:24

I ve never done it but isn’t airbandb staying in a empty house but this is staying as a guest
My grandkids all do air Bandb when they are travelling but don’t stay with anyone

Witzend Sat 19-Mar-22 16:02:48

BlueBelle

*Granny gravy* my feelings entirely I wouldn’t be able to take such a leap of faith they might turn out to not be very friendly or have a completely different ways to you
I like people and get on with most but I would feel totally vulnerable in a strangers house

I’d feel the same. Would much prefer a good old Premier Inn, or foreign equivalent, any day. I have to know people extremely well before I’d ever feel comfortable staying with them.

My lovely, very chatty MiL would have been in her element, though. You could take her an 8 hour flight from home, go on a trip to the back of beyond, and in some funny little restaurant she’d get chatting to a local, and find that their auntie’s neighbour’s son was studying in London and was staying in the next road to them in Wimbledon.
I swear I’m not exaggerating! Something of the sort did happen when she and FiL visited us in Oman. ?

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 19-Mar-22 16:18:51

BlueBelle

I ve never done it but isn’t airbandb staying in a empty house but this is staying as a guest
My grandkids all do air Bandb when they are travelling but don’t stay with anyone

Not at all. My sister would be staying in a house or flat in the spare room. The family would be in the house too. Before my granddaughter was born my son and his partner had AirBnB in their house. They had a spare room and a second bathroom. I met some of their boarders who ranged from Americans itching to see London to Academics doing research.

Baggs Sat 19-Mar-22 16:37:58

BlueBelle

*Granny gravy* my feelings entirely I wouldn’t be able to take such a leap of faith they might turn out to not be very friendly or have a completely different ways to you

Old style B & Bs worked like that sometimes in my experience, staying as a paying guest in someone's house.

Redhead56 Sat 19-Mar-22 17:21:31

I think it’s a good idea but for me personally I would prefer a meet up in a Premier Inn or similar. Have a meal or drinks with other people by all means but not staying in their house.