Gransnet forums

Travel

holiday cottage/ cat

(23 Posts)
Autumnleaves Sat 16-Apr-22 14:41:04

Hi everyone, this is my first time starting a discussion. Iv'e got the chance to holiday next week for 3 nights and would love any cottage recommendations for Anglesey, but although there are only 4 adults we need to take our indoor (well behaved cat) with us. When it says you can take one pet are they referring to dogs or would a cat be included? If any of you have xperience in this regard I would love to know, thank you in advance.

JaneJudge Sat 16-Apr-22 14:43:30

if you book through say, cottages.com they will check with the owners and I guess this will be the same with any let company
enjoy your break away smile

Joseanne Sat 16-Apr-22 18:02:38

In our properties we stated "one well behaved dog" so it was clear. I was wary about cats causing damage as they scratch furniture and their wee stinks. I would consider it if anyone asked, but what would happen if the visitors went out for the day? Is the cat happy to be caged?
I'm sure you could ask the owner and offer to pay a damages deposit.
I hope you have a nice break.
(Our DD did smuggle a cat into a rented property once, no problems).

Sparklefizz Sat 16-Apr-22 18:32:41

Would your cat be comfortable with the travelling and being in a strange place? Wouldn't it be better to leave him/her at home and ask/pay someone to go in and feed them? That's what I would do.

avitorl Sat 16-Apr-22 18:46:31

I have taken 2cats on holiday with me and they were fine. I promised the owners that I wouldn't allow them in bedrooms and would take throws to cover chairs etc. Cat's wee doesn't stink if the cat is neutured . It is a lot of hassle for a couple of days though so for 3 days getting someone to look after it at home might be best.
I think most holiday rentals do expect pets to be dogs,I always met surprised when I asked about cats,but it's worth a try.
I couldn't take the cat I have now on holiday because she is a little menace!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 16-Apr-22 19:35:32

I have to disagree about cats’ wee not smelling if they’re neutered. I had cats for many years and that wasn’t my experience.

Ragtime Sat 16-Apr-22 20:47:54

Cat wee does stand, neutered or not.

Ragtime Sat 16-Apr-22 20:48:26

Stink not stand

MayBee70 Sat 16-Apr-22 20:58:11

I’d be worried sick about the cat escaping. Are the people you’re going with cat savvy? My son and his family recently spent a week with us and they were always leaving doors and windows open and the children were eating chocolates and hot cross buns with currants dropping out of them. I was so worried about my dog running out into the road or eating something poisonous.Also I’d be worried about the property having an open fireplace. One of my cats had shot up a fireplace before we had him. I’d take a dap diffuser as I’m sure being in a strange house would be stressful.

GrannyLaine Sat 16-Apr-22 21:17:10

Autumnleaves if your cat is an indoor cat and you have permission from the cottage owners I would think you will be fine. We have done this before with no issues but you do need to think through all possible scenarios. Keep the cat confined to a smallish space initially, consider a Feliway diffuser to combat any anxiety, take bedding with a familiar smell. be scrupulous about disposing of litter (as I'm sure you are) and take some kind of device for removing any shed fur eg a lint roller.

MayBee70 Sat 16-Apr-22 21:21:19

And a collar with a contact number.

Catterygirl Sun 17-Apr-22 00:09:38

Personally, I would leave my cat with a reputable boarding cattery, but I am bound to say that. I treated every cat or kitten as my own with lots of treats and cuddles. Some weren’t keen to go home. Too old to run a boarding cattery now. My time to travel, fingers crossed for good health. No pet cats for us until we feel unable to travel, then maybe a rescue cat to see out it’s days with us.

Enjoy your break. Cats can be flexible.

Calendargirl Sun 17-Apr-22 06:54:06

(Our DD did smuggle a cat into a rented property once, no problems)

I wouldn’t be proud to admit that actually.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Apr-22 07:57:16

We love cats but our dd suddenly developed a violent allergy to them as a young adult.
Dogs, not so bad, but if she was in a property where a cat had been, however careful the cleaning was, she would end up at the local hospital.

Sadly we can never have a cat again.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Apr-22 07:58:12

Please Leave the cat with neighbours or local cattery.

Sago Sun 17-Apr-22 08:16:10

Before embarking on purchasing our holiday let I did an awful lot of research.
I listened to a series of podcasts made by Sykes holiday cottages, they all highly recommended owners allowed cats and dogs, apparently it raises occupancy by up to 30%.

I then spoke to the cleaning company we use, they strongly advised against it particularly as since Covid so many people had bought animals that really cannot look after them properly

By insisting on taking your cat you will be narrowing your choice of properties available.

Joseanne Sun 17-Apr-22 08:16:59

Calendargirl

^(Our DD did smuggle a cat into a rented property once, no problems)^

I wouldn’t be proud to admit that actually.

Sorry, long long story Calendargirl but I'd better explain.
It was a half dead abandoned stray kitten on the beach in Magaluf!! She took it back to the rented apartment and fed it prawns and milk. It survived, and when it was time for her to return to England she flew it home via Palma, Barcelona Paris and London by Air France, the only carrier to accept the cat, in the cabin no less. He lived until he was 15. As far as having the kitten in the apartment, although I wasn't proud of her doing that, I did understand. And no doubt far worse things get smuggled into some of those holiday rentals!
Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Cabbie21 Sun 17-Apr-22 08:47:35

I think that was so wrong on so many fronts. If a property owner stipulates No Pets, it means just that.
To the OP, I think your cat would be happier at home with someone to cat sit, or in a cattery. There are too many worries about a Cat in a strange property. You wont be staying inside all the time. S/ he could misbehave when you are not there out of anxiety at strange surroundings. If you must take the cat, do discuss it with the owner first.

Calendargirl Sun 17-Apr-22 10:22:57

Joseanne

That does put a different light on it. Your original comment suggested she just took it on holiday with her.

Glad it turned out well in the end.

Joseanne Sun 17-Apr-22 10:30:24

Thanks Calendargirl. Sorry, it was a throwaway comment where I shouldn't have derailed the thread. She was only 17 at the time!

Rosalyn69 Sun 17-Apr-22 11:13:41

I dispute cats are happier left at home. They are not. At least mine wasn’t. It was only one night and she refused to eat while I was away and for five days afterwards. She had separation anxiety and cost me a fortune at the vets. I’ve never done it again. Two cats I think would be fine.

Grandma70s Sun 17-Apr-22 11:20:55

I had a cat who refused to eat when I was away, too. I never left him again,

Autumnleaves Mon 18-Apr-22 14:33:26

Thank you all so much for your helpful replies, I have much to think about.