Gransnet forums

Travel

Timeshare relinquishment

(10 Posts)
Grannmarie Mon 25-Apr-22 12:24:26

Well done for selling your timeshare by yourself, Suzie. I looked on a website which had an apartment in our complex for sale, but it was only going for £1000, so I guess the company would have bought it for much less, and they were asking for money up front to sell apartments.

Grannmarie Mon 25-Apr-22 12:20:40

Thanks, Susie and Floradora. I've looked on a few timeshare owners forums, but I think it's a bit of a minefield.
I've just emailed reception at our timeshare and asked them to book me an appointment with the office staff, I'm hoping to do what Aveline has done.
We fly out on Saturday. It will be our last visit because of my husband's health and mobility issues. Reception has arranged mobility scooter hire for him, I've arranged airport assistance.
We've had many happy holidays, in our own resort and via the exchange facility. We've been to Florida, Madeira, up and down the Costa del Sol and had UK breaks too, so it worked well for us over the years.
Time to say goodbye/ adios now!

SuzieHi Sun 24-Apr-22 21:06:44

I managed to sell our Canaries timeshare in February this year.
I found a couple of Facebook groups - one was for owners/ timeshare owners of the complex we owned in, another was a general holiday group for the town we owned in. I put an message in each stating what we were selling & where/& dates( not price). Got 4 replies- one bought (at a good price- almost what I paid 30+ years ago). It was very easy to do.
I was just going to return certificates and tell the management co we’d had enough - so glad I tried to sell. Maybe you should try & sell yourself? I had to pay the management £80 for a new owner certificate which I organised after I’d received the full amount from the new owner.

Aveline Sun 24-Apr-22 18:49:42

Floradora I really did just give up our timeshare.

FarNorth Sun 24-Apr-22 18:37:04

shock

Floradora9 Sun 24-Apr-22 18:29:46

I just remember one friend put a notice on the notice board at the timeshare offering it for free and got rid of one .

Floradora9 Sun 24-Apr-22 18:28:53

I think you will be lucky if you can just give it up. A friend had to pay out just to get rid of theirs . Have you tried offering it free on a selling site ( not a timeshare one ) ? We had a friend who bought four as an investment and wanted us to do the same how glad I am we did not even consider it .

Grannmarie Sat 23-Apr-22 22:03:00

Thanks, Aveline, I'm looking out the original paperwork to take with us. I hope that we can do it as straightforwardly as you did.

Aveline Sat 23-Apr-22 21:23:48

We gave up our timeshare in Madeira. I had to write a letter formally relinquishing the timeshare. This was acknowledged and then I had to send back the ownership certificate and documentation. I then received a formal letter to state it was no longer ours. It was quite straightforward except that due to Covid the postal system wasn't working very fast. I sent everything recorded delivery etc. Good luck.

Grannmarie Sat 23-Apr-22 21:13:00

Hello, lovely GN people, I've not started a thread before, so ? this is OK.

Basically, I'm looking for advice on how to finish up/ relinquish our time share.
DH and I are flying to Ibiza soon, we've had a timeshare week there since 1997 when it was perfect for family holidays.
Now the family all do their own thing for holidays and DH has health and mobility issues so this will be our last trip to the timeshare. I realise that it's impossible to sell them now, but I wondered if any Grans have experience of 'finishing up' timeshare ownership so that you are no longer liable for annual maintenance fees, and your children don't inherit ?

Thanks in anticipation.