Gransnet forums

Travel

Suggestions for a European holiday, please.

(45 Posts)
mokryna Sat 31-Dec-22 14:00:28

I thoroughly enjoyed my five-day trip walking round Barcelona last October, thank you for your tips. I am now looking for suggestions from your experiences, for similar holidays for the end of February and end of May. I have already walked the streets of Rome and Florence.

mokryna Tue 14-Feb-23 22:18:40

Thank you NotSpaghetti I am looking forward to it. I don’t like holidays to sit around I do that at home, I want to be busy and this seems good.

NotSpaghetti Tue 14-Feb-23 22:01:31

Hope you have a lovely time!

paddyann54 Tue 14-Feb-23 19:47:21

The Istrian peninsula of Croatia is lovely lots of beautiful wee towns we've rented houses there a few times before moving on to Zagreb where we have friends.
Istria is much more of an Italian feel and lots of Italian style food .cross to Venice on day trips from 2 or 3 places.Great value ,lovely people though the small Towns outside of Zagreb are lovely too .

JackyB Tue 14-Feb-23 19:23:48

Good choice, mokryna.

mokryna Tue 14-Feb-23 16:25:15

I have booked up a trip to sunny Spain for a bit of warm weather before it gets too hot. Flying to Seville for four days, train to Cordoba for two days and then another train to Granada before flying home. smile

silverlining48 Tue 14-Feb-23 16:04:36

The railway which runs all along the coast from the south of France through to the Italian Riviera dei Fiori. Stunning views and ancient villages. Fabulous.

Serendipity22 Tue 14-Feb-23 15:29:58

Forgot to add that there is a train that goes up into the mountains... WHAT AN EXPERIENCE ... magnificent.

The train doesnt leave from the main train station ...

Serendipity22 Tue 14-Feb-23 15:28:23

South of France..... ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

Busses €1.50
Trains on time.

I have been to a lot of the town in Cote d'azur, walked for miles miles and miles.

I assure you, it is the most wonderful place to visit.

Fly to Nice.
Bus from airport or taxi and then once unpacked you have the whole wonderfulness to yourself ....

pascal30 Tue 14-Feb-23 15:07:31

Stockholm where you can easily visit the islands.
Montpelier where you have the Med and mountains nearby
Siena, lucca and Florence all accessible with trains between..

Norah Tue 14-Feb-23 15:02:17

Iceland is lovely, so much in such a small area.

Easy flight, nice hotels (we loved the Hilton and their breakfasts), good food (too much meat sad) but good regardless.

Grantanow Tue 14-Feb-23 14:55:42

This year we plan to go to Paris, Milan and Bari by train and then on to Patras by ferry for Athens.

VB000 Mon 02-Jan-23 13:45:46

mokryna

Would you go back to places you visited in another time, before children, for example Venice, Plitvice, Athens or is it better to leave the memories alone?

Going to Madeira in March - more than 20 years since my last visit. Hopefully will be doing some walking there.

Cyprus or Malta can be nice in late winter/early spring too, and would definitely recommend Sorrento, though not sure about that time of year.

Kate1949 Mon 02-Jan-23 12:18:12

We never had holidays before we had our daughter as we couldn't afford it. but have been back to places many times since. We've been to Venice 5 times, Seville twice, lots of trips to France, Corfu a few times.

mokryna Mon 02-Jan-23 12:01:54

Would you go back to places you visited in another time, before children, for example Venice, Plitvice, Athens or is it better to leave the memories alone?

nanna8 Mon 02-Jan-23 11:23:56

Oh Jacky B your post takes me back in my mind to those lovely German towns . We were there 4 or 5 years ago now and they are so picturesque. I remember Freiburg, lovely town. We were on a river cruise at the time.

LRavenscroft Mon 02-Jan-23 11:12:09

Greece in the Springtime. The jacaranda blossom is stunning.

Maggiemaybe Mon 02-Jan-23 09:54:23

If you’re wanting somewhere warm I’d recommend Naples. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, down to earth and not prettified for tourists, but history is all around - people are living in Roman remains and in ancient underground rooms, there are free walks with tour guides, the little narrow streets are fascinating and of course the food is fabulous (and cheap). And you can get to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Sorrento, for the Amalfi Coast, on the same train from Garibaldi station for around £3.

JackyB Mon 02-Jan-23 08:04:37

As I live in Germany I'll have to recommend somewhere from here. There are many picturesque towns which are must-sees, but they are small ans each one on its own wouldn't warrant a five-day stay. But there are many close to each other and public transport is good, frequent, and affordable. Rothenburg on der Tauber is a typical town to start from.

Also there is Freiburg which is very popular and has lots to offer. From there you could take in Basel and some beautiful countryside.

Strasbourg is also ideal, with many towns nearby worth looking at. The French are really good at adorning their streets with flowers.

An area I don't know well, but can imagine you could walk for miles would be the North Sea coast. Bremen is a charming town. The Baltic coast has even more to offer, and you could alternate beach walks with city streets in both of those. For the Baltic side, start from Hamburg or Lübeck. Fascinating history as the Romans didn't get up that far, so it's more about the Slav and Viking periods.

NotAGran55 Mon 02-Jan-23 06:44:57

My choice for a city walking break would be a 2 centre break to Porto and Lisbon, especially if you like hills.
Lots of trains and beautiful scenery to enjoy along the way.

Ro60 Mon 02-Jan-23 02:23:42

What a lovely thread - its got me thinking about holidays again.
Croatia has just adopted the Euro too.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-Jan-23 02:04:49

I haven't been but Cappadocia is on my "would like to visit" list

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-Jan-23 02:03:13

What about the Basilicata area - based maybe in Matera but visiting the surrounding areas?
Matera:
Rupestrian churches,
Cave dwellings
13th century duomo
Art galleries
Restaurants etc
Then:
Bernalda - where Copola has his family home (now also a very pricey hotel). A friendly town (with one of my favourite restaurants!)
Temple in Metaponto near the coast.

Further afield there's national parks, a thermal spa, and other delights. Pistici is a nice small straightforward and friendly town. Aliano is where Carlo Levi was exiled (he has artwork in a gallery in Matera) and then Maratea with a coast like the Amalfi but where many Italians choose to holiday.
Lots to see and extraordinary landscapes. So unusual they filmed the Temptation of Christ here. - oh yes, and the deserted town, Craco which you can visit with a guide.

Here are some ruins:
www.inspirock.com/italy/ancient-ruins-in-province-of-matera

Ro60 Mon 02-Jan-23 01:04:10

Cape Verde offers walking holidays & warm at that time of year.
I'll second Madeira
Then my favourite - La Palma - the small Canary islands with 2 separate climates - North & South of the island so different & so beautiful. Interesting plants & history going back to cave dwellings - some still lived in.

mokryna Sun 01-Jan-23 23:37:30

Chapeau I tried going to Georgia but it was invaded 2019, before I booked.

nanna8 I enjoyed my 5 trips to Australia but I feel the health insurance will be too expensive now, that is why I am sticking to the euro zone.

I am thinking somewhere warm for March.

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-Jan-23 23:15:36

Unless you’re a sun seeker, Poland’s great for a short break - Gdańsk, Wrocław or Krakow. They’re so atmospheric and beautiful in the snow, and the warming comfort food is so good. I saw wolves streaking across the fields on our way back from visiting Auschwitz and the salt mines in February, which is one of my best memories.